U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
JMS9

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby JMS9 » December 4th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Semi-related note - with groundbreaking yesterday came news that Minneapolis is a finalist for the 2018 Super Bowl, along with New Orleans and Indianapolis. I would say we are a lock to get it, based on history. Detroit built one, got a Super Bowl two years later. Same with Houston, Indianapolis, Glendale, Dallas, and in 2016, Santa Clara.

I also seem to recall hearing recently that Minneapolis is bidding on the Big 13 Title Game (Rutgers and Maryland make it 13 teams next year, sorry) to be played in New Corporate Stadium as well.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 4th, 2013, 10:26 pm

14 teams, in fact.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 5th, 2013, 7:28 am

Yup. Was 11 when Penn State was added in the early 90's. That is why the Big 10 logo up until a few years ago had the hidden "11" in it. Then they added Nebraska a few years ago to make it 12 so they could have a conference championship for football. They have now added Rutgers and Maryland to add those media markets, and they will begin play next year. Look for a possibility of 2 more teams to make it a super conference of 16 teams in the future. Hoping that doesnt happen, but money will make it a good possibility.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » December 5th, 2013, 9:59 am

‏@timnelson_mpr

R.T. Rybak: #Vikings have agreed to donate $1M to new stadium district park for public upgrade planned for Downtown East development.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 5th, 2013, 5:11 pm

That's it?? That will buy you a nice jungle gym, or a set of public restrooms.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 8th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Bagley says no naming rights deal is imminent. But he says it’ll definitely be a Minnesota Fortune 500 company, which rules out Wells Fargo.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 14351.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 8th, 2013, 9:01 pm

^If it were Wells Fargo I don't think the Vikings would be up in arms over this signage deal, since the reason it was such a problem was because the entity who eventually agrees to be on the stadium can't be having Wells Fargo stealing their thunder so close by.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 8th, 2013, 9:14 pm

That’s exactly right. But it was suggested in the Strib blocks thread that the Vikings may have dropped their opposition to Wells Fargo’s signage because Wells was interested in stadium naming rights. And that isn’t the case.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 8th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I didn't read Lester Bagley's quote to say that companies based outside of Minnesota would not be considered as much as him pointing out that, with so many big local companies, finding a suitor won't be hard.

Unless he said something more specific than he did in the article I read the other day.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 9th, 2013, 7:01 am

Of the stadium, Bagley said “there’s 16 Fortune 500 companies in Minnesota and we know that one of them will have their name on it.”

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » December 9th, 2013, 10:29 am

To say that Wells Fargo isn't based here in MN is technically correct. But Norwest was the aggressor in the merger years back. they actually sought out Wells Fargo for the Mortgage naming rights out west (and then did the same with wachovia for out east) Wells has a major presence here in MN and owns or rents many buidlings downtown. Despite Bagley's comments about a locale fortune 500 company I don't think Wells is off that list.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » December 9th, 2013, 10:49 am

I guess I’d argue that Bagley’s reference to “16 companies” indicates that he was limiting it to companies based in Minnesota. If his list also included companies with a major presence, I think he would’ve had to use a bigger number than 16.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 9th, 2013, 10:56 am

Thrivent financial for Lutherans field... lol

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 9th, 2013, 10:59 am

I guess I’d argue that Bagley’s reference to “16 companies” indicates that he was limiting it to companies based in Minnesota. If his list also included companies with a major presence, I think he would’ve had to use a bigger number than 16.
Last I checked there were at least 20 MN Fortune 500 Companies, but I know we are in the process of losing a couple of them (yes, again), including Nash Finch and Pentair to mergers and acquisitions.

So, though I hate to be the bearer of bad news, those of you holding your breath for Nash Finch Stadium or Pentair Field are in for a letdown. :cry:

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 9th, 2013, 11:28 am

I think the wells fargo logo clashes with the awesome purpleness which will be going on inside the stadium. So I propose a great hometown business -- the Minnesota Vikings buy the naming rights. "Minnesota Vikings Field" has a nice ring to it, no? If they 2 sides can't agree University of St Thomas is another option. They too are all in on the awesomeness of purple.
Towns!

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » December 9th, 2013, 12:21 pm

So I propose a great hometown business -- the Minnesota Vikings buy the naming rights. "Minnesota Vikings Field" has a nice ring to it, no?
Damn good idea! Maybe they could even show some gratitude and donate the proceeds to Minneapolis...

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 9th, 2013, 1:15 pm

The Spam Palace.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 9th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Bringing up back (somewhat) on topic, this MinnPost article lists 19 Fortune 500 companies from Minnesota. Note that this list doesn't include Cargill and other private companies.

http://www.minnpost.com/twin-cities-bus ... -move-rank

• 17: UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
• 36: Target Corporation
• 61: Best Buy Company, Inc.
• 69: CHS, Inc.
• 86: Supervalu, Inc.
• 101: 3M Company
• 132: U.S. Bancorp
• 169: General Mills, Inc.
• 172: Medtronic, Inc.
• 194: Land O’Lakes
• 229: Ecolab, Inc.
• 237: C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc.
• 246: The Mosaic Company
• 263: Ameriprise Financial, Inc.
• 266: Xcel Energy, Inc.
• 319: Hormel Foods Corporation
• 325: Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
• 457: St. Jude Medical, Inc.
• 500: Nash Finch Company

Typically naming rights tend to go to companies that deal with everyday customers, so you could be looking at stores (Target, Best Buy, Supervalu), products (3M, General Mills, Land O'Lakes, Hormel), banks and financial/insurance companies (UnitedHealth, U.S. Bank, Ameriprise, Thrivent), utilities (Xcel Energy), and telecom (none). I guess there's a chance that a company like Medtronic, Ecolab or St. Jude, who don't sell directly to the public, might want to boost their public standing, a la Lucas Oil.

That said, you can cut quite a few names out right away. Target and Xcel Energy seem like long shots given their existing naming rights deals in the city. Thrivent can go, as can St. Jude and probably Supervalu. I have a hard time seeing an ag company like Land O'Lakes or Hormel signing up, but I'll leave General Mills on board since they are higher profile and a slightly different market. And while UnitedHealth is certainly at no shortage of expendable income, I just can't see a health insurance company going over well (MetLife Stadium being kind of the exception, although State Farm and Allstate have naming rights on second-tier stadiums).

For now we will take Lester Bagley's quote to be binding, eliminating the possibility of Wells Fargo, Delta, Cargill and others.

So that leaves us with:
• 61: Best Buy Company, Inc.
• 101: 3M Company
• 132: U.S. Bancorp
• 169: General Mills, Inc.
• 172: Medtronic, Inc.
• 229: Ecolab, Inc.
• 263: Ameriprise Financial, Inc.

Verdict: All of this writing was probably a waste of time, because U.S. Bank seems like an odds-on favorite based solely on the fact that it's a big, local bank. Banks and other financial institutions are easily the most well represented businesses in these naming rights deals, and U.S. Bank doesn't have it's name on another major stadium.

Best Buy, 3M and Medtronic are three of the highest-profile companies in the Twin Cities, but Best Buy hasn't bit on other high-profile naming rights in town (not to mention the restructuring and uncertain future), and 3M and Medtronic (and Ecolab, for that matter) would be outliers in the naming-rights fraternity.

Random Thought: We are lucky in that none of the realistic options for this stadium are terribly tacky, like Qwicken Loans Arena. Even U.S. Bank, for being a bank, is so sterile that it doesn't sound weird. That said, it could be cool if General Mills bought the rights but named the stadium after its Pillsbury brand. Besides having its roots in Minneapolis, Pillsbury is a major national brand and also the name of an influential family in state history. So, in theory, it could be a win-win-win.

I doubt it's realistic, unfortunately. I can't think of another stadium named after a brand rather than the parent company, and General Mills would get more "bang for the buck" just putting its own name on the stadium. A General Mills Field wouldn't be terrible, and we could call it the Cheerio, but I kind of like the idea of Pillsbury since it would be like naming the stadium after a dignitary, even though it's actually a brand. We would have just a tiny slice of dignity over our friends like the University of Phoenix Stadium.
Last edited by Didier on December 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 9th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Sorry in advance if the Pillsburys were actually raging anti-Semites and I didn't know.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2013, 2:42 pm

I can't think of another stadium named after a brand rather than the parent company, and General Mills would get more "bang for the buck" just putting its own name on the stadium.
Minute Maid Park, son.

Houston has "The Juice Box", we can have "The Cereal Bowl"