U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby talindsay » December 9th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Random Thought: We are lucky in that none of the realistic options for this stadium are terribly tacky, like Qwicken Loans Arena. Even U.S. Bank, for being a bank, is so sterile that it doesn't sound weird. That said, it could be cool if General Mills bought the rights but named the stadium after its Pillsbury brand. Besides having its roots in Minneapolis, Pillsbury is a major national brand and also the name of an influential family in state history. So, in theory, it could be a win-win-win.

I doubt it's realistic, unfortunately. I can't think of another stadium named after a brand rather than the parent company, and General Mills would get more "bang for the buck" just putting its own name on the stadium. A General Mills Field wouldn't be terrible, and we could call it the Cheerio, but I kind of like the idea of Pillsbury since it would be like naming the stadium after a dignitary, even though it's actually a brand. We would have just a tiny slice of dignity over our friends like the University of Phoenix Stadium.
Busch Stadium in Saint Louis is technically named in memorial of August A Busch III if I remember correctly, but note that the Busches wanted to name it Budweiser stadium and were told it couldn't be a product so they named it after Auggie and then introduced a new "Busch Beer" as a way around the ban. The company was named "Anheuser-Busch" but they didn't want it to be named that, they wanted it after a product. And given that like Pillsbury it's actually a person's name, it's kind of a nice example. So while it's a weird precedent, there is certainly a precedent.

It could be Charles Alfred Pillsbury Memorial Field, which would be kind of nice. And yeah, I have no idea whether Pillsbury was a jerk, but likely any captain of industry who essentially owned a city in the late 1800s was some kind of jerk.

They could paint the roof blue and do up the Pillsbury logo on it; too bad it won't be round.

One small problem though is that when General Mills bought Pillsbury (sorry, "merged" like how Norwest "merged" with WF by buying all its stock), they sold off a few divisions of the company to Smucker and sold them the right to use the name in marketing for those products. So in using the Pillsbury name they would inadvertently be giving free advertising to some Smucker products; they might prefer to push brands that are fully under their tent instead.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 9th, 2013, 3:04 pm

US Bank Arena is Cincinnati's hockey and basketball arena. Not that that doesn't mean they wouldn't go after a stadium here. But just wanted to clarify that they do have naming rights currently.
http://www.usbankarena.com/

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 9th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I made a point of specifying that U.S. Bank does not have naming rights on a major stadium, and I don't consider the one in Cincinnati to be major. I'm not 100 percent, but I seem to remember some random arena in Cedar Rapids, Iowa carrying the US Bank name as well.

Great point on Busch Stadium. It's pretty much exactly the precedent I was thinking out but actually in practice. That said, I think the example in St. Louis makes more sense to go that way than the example here.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 9th, 2013, 3:20 pm

On the offshoot topic of potential stadium names, I just have to say it's a real shame that our railway got absorbed into BNSF, because how damn cool of a name would Great Northern Field be? That Pillsbury idea would be phenomenal though.

And yes, I think we should be worried about tacky names, even though most of our major companies are tastefully branded. SuperValuDome, anyone?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » December 9th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Luckily, SuperValu operates stores under so many different names (Cub, Jewel, Albertson's, Save-A-Lot, etc.) that having a stadium named SuperValu wouldn't do much for their brand.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » December 9th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Even though it is characterized an an outlier, I would not mind "3M Stadium." At least it's a reference to Minnesota and it's history of Mining and Manufacturing.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » December 9th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Land O Lakes.... Or LOL stadium would be fitting at times.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 9th, 2013, 4:01 pm

C'mon, you don't think Target's gonna try and go for the trifecta?

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » December 9th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I'm really pushing for 3M because then we'd get some cool (albeit small) features thrown in for the wow factor. I took a tour of their Innovation Center within the last year and it was pretty slick. And there'd be no floating AP on the western peak if it wasn't for its technology.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 9th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 10th, 2013, 12:33 am

http://m.startribune.com/?id=235105181

Public cost for stadium-area skyways: $10.3 million

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » December 10th, 2013, 9:40 am

In the spirit of a poll, if you could make one design tweak to the stadium - something minor (i.e. not too expensive, not requiring major structural changes) that would have a noticeable positive impact, what would it be?

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 10th, 2013, 9:49 am

Complete exterior LED lighting, so this puppy could be lit up and colored like an Easter Egg.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 10th, 2013, 10:47 am

Artwork depicting Norse mythology EVERYWHERE. The Vikings could really run wild with the team's identity and come up with some borderline frightening imagery. Read up on the Ragnarok (Norse apocalypse) if you haven't before- it's pretty insane. At least they've managed to work the Gjallarhorn into games. And the new stadium kind of looks vaguely like a Viking ship.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 10th, 2013, 10:54 am

I agree with being able to light it up would be cool. I've always thought this design is supposed to look like an iceberg or glacier. Goes well with MN and Vikings.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 12th, 2013, 2:27 pm

It really would be great to hold more events and celebrations in front of the stadium and across the two block park… maybe also then bring in some of the activity into the stadium. For Vikings and for other scheduled stadium events. It would be great to feel like there is an outdoor space downtown. The Nicollet Mall no longer has the quantity and density to really feel like I just want to hang out on it… back in the 70's and much of the 80's there were literally hundreds of places to go and things to do… but we don't shop that way anymore and I am not sure it will ever attain the levels that it did in it's first two decades.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » December 12th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Artwork depicting Norse mythology EVERYWHERE. The Vikings could really run wild with the team's identity and come up with some borderline frightening imagery. Read up on the Ragnarok (Norse apocalypse) if you haven't before- it's pretty insane. At least they've managed to work the Gjallarhorn into games. And the new stadium kind of looks vaguely like a Viking ship.
Some big, intimidating statues near the stadium's entrance would be really cool.

JordanWasaN
Block E

Postby JordanWasaN » December 12th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Some big, intimidating statues near the stadium's entrance would be really cool.
I suggest a sculpture or mural depicting Thor fighting Jörmungandr.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2013, 5:41 pm

It's too late to name our stadium after Pillsbury. That stadium is coming down...

The best thing that can happen to keep the Pillsbury name alive is to keep calling US Bank Plaza (the one by City Hall, not the Center on Nicollet) by its original Pillsbury Center name.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 13th, 2013, 10:27 am

There's a good deal of heavy equipment on site now, including at least one pile driver that can be seen from 35W.