University District Alliance reviewing parking minimums

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

University District Alliance reviewing parking minimums

Postby exiled_antipodean » December 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm

The University District Alliance is reviewing the current parking standards for residential development in the University area neighborhoods (Como, Marcy-Holmes, Dinkytown, Prospect Park, West Bank), and will be seeking public comment on proposed changes.

The current requirements are [basically] greater of 1 space per unit or 0.5 spaces per bedroom. However, recent developments in Marcy/Dinkytown have had as low as 0.27 spaces per bedroom after variances.

There is support on the committee reviewing the parking minimums for a reduction in the requirements, both to the 1 space minimum, and the 0.5 per bedroom.

The review has also highlighted that the current city rules for automatically approving variances for transit proximity and pedestrian overlays are too conservative (1. transit-based reduction in parking requirements only available within 300 feet of an official high frequency route in both directions. The #6 which runs on one-way pairs does not automatically get developers near 4th and University parking minimum reductions. 2. Pedestrian overlay districts are small, and don't truly reflect the walkshed of the university and other destinations).

The UDA will be seeking public comments in the neighborhoods in December/January, via the neighborhoods' Zoning committees, and a proposed general public meeting.

This is a great opportunity to try and influence a positive change in this area of the city. I will post details on when public comments will be received when I have them.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Re: University District Alliance reviewing parking minimums

Postby TheUrbanGopher » December 4th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Excellent news! Less parking for new development is exactly what this could-be walking paradise needs.

I interviewed Kelly Doran back in September and he said that although his newer projects like The Knoll have parking filled, he was able to get a variance to lower the space per unit to about 0.33/bedroom. Sydney Hall, his first in the University area in 2009, has about 0.5/bedroom and hasn't been able to lease all of the spots out to tenants.

A change of standards would most likely allow for easier development practices in the area. When the area reaches luxury apartment saturation is another question for another day...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 4th, 2013, 4:40 pm

I support removing parking minimums everywhere, but I think the University is the only place right now where their removal could make a serious impact on the amount of parking that gets built.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

^Without significant backlash from community members. I think this would be a great test case with relatively little risk and cost. Meter more on-street spaces in the areas discussed, and completely eliminate the req's (rather than doing what the Climate Action Plan says and try to follow market demand with the regs). Measure the results, and not just in big new construction, but see if smaller infill projects creep up (particularly on the fringes where it may even be used by non-students).

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » December 4th, 2013, 9:27 pm

While there is some support for eliminating them, I don't think that will carry the day (trying to report realistically on the discussion). But definitely a good chance of meaningful reduction for the whole area (0.35 seems likely)

While I am skeptical of the spillover parking bogeyman, it's probably true that students are more likely to be willing to park on the street a long way from their residence. Students are time rich and cash poor.

More as it comes to hand.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » December 15th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Meeting with interested parties will be held Wednesday, January 29, 2014; 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. time frame. Location to be confirmed.

[date edited]
Last edited by exiled_antipodean on December 28th, 2013, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 18th, 2013, 9:46 am

students are more likely to be willing to park on the street a long way from their residence. Students are time rich and cash poor
This just means the street parking is under-priced.
And it's not just students who will walk a distance for "free" parking... it's anyone in the top five percent :D
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/ ... ve-percen/

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » January 14th, 2014, 10:48 pm

The details you've all been waiting for. Come along and advocate for removal of minimum parking requirements. Slim chance that'll go through, but move the window of discussion so a much lower minimum is possible.

University Lutheran Church of Hope Heritage Hall
601 13th Avenue Southeast
Minneapolis, MN 55414

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 from 5:15 PM to 6:45 PM (CST)

Register here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/parking-for ... 0151684963

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » January 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm

As a reminder, this is tonight. I plan on attending so I hope to see some fellow urbanists putting up a strong defense against the MOAR PARKINGers.

The city recommendations based from the study call for either eliminating the 1 stall per unit rule, or increasing the 10% reduction of parking in the Pedestrian Overlay to 30%.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cped/proje ... rkingStudy

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 29th, 2014, 7:09 pm

That was the least terrible public meeting I've been to in aaaaages.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 29th, 2014, 9:12 pm

So, don't leave us hanging, how was it?

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » January 29th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Compared to past public meetings, it was very informative, conversational, and relatively helpful. There were a good number of common complaints about parking unrelated to the scope of the meeting (people drop their kid off at day care and park in front of MY house, can you believe it?), but for the most part, many people had good arguments.

- Many more people than I would have assumed wanted to reduce the parking requirements in the area, ranging from residents to architects to rental owners. Most wanted to see both a reduction of parking in the PO and a reduction of spaces per unit.

- This meeting focused on parking for new high density developments specifically. It was revealed that most large apartment buildings (6+ stories) have requested variances to reduce the spots, but the smaller projects (4-6 units) follow the city code for spots. Most spaces are not leased in the large developments, but are usually filled with commuters.

- A good friend from classes past stated that people should no longer feel entitled to a parking spot, especially on the street. A few people laughed out loud at the comment (likely long time residents), but a few defended the comment.

My favorite suggestions included...

1) Increasing the price of on street metering and use the extra revenue to pay for streetscaping, bike racks, etc.

2) Gather developers together and listen to their complaints and suggestions for parking, rather than basing off of community assumptions.

3) Reorganize parking priorities to allow empty spaces in developments become available for commercial uses.

4) Of course, eliminate parking minimums in the area entirely and let the market decide. Cam Gordon actually mentioned that it had been discussed in meetings but the group couldnt come to a consensus.

Part 2 of the discussion will be coming up eventually. That will focus more on commercial and business parking, which will probably spawn a much more lively, albeit possibly unhelpful, debate.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 29th, 2014, 10:29 pm

- This meeting focused on parking for new high density developments specifically. It was revealed that most large apartment buildings (6+ stories) have requested variances to reduce the spots, but the smaller projects (4-6 units) follow the city code for spots. Most spaces are not leased in the large developments, but are usually filled with commuters.
Is that what you got from that? It seemed unclear when she answered.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]