Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John
Capella Tower

Re: Trader Joes (Lyndale and 27th)

Postby John » July 28th, 2012, 8:32 pm

I don't think they'll wait as long as the Nicollet/lake project is going to take....
Well, like you said, I hope they don't try to tear down the nice, older, viable 24th and Hennepin retail buildings for a TJ's. My sister lives near one in Massachussetts and they have no liquor sales because of zoning. It's fabulously successful. Why don't they develop a vacant parcel somewhere along the more car oriented Lake Street closer to Uptown sans liqour sales? This idea they have to tear down older buildings in Uptown to put up a suburban style grocery store is ludicrous.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 28th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Agreed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » July 29th, 2012, 1:35 am

I don't think they'll wait as long as the Nicollet/lake project is going to take....
Then where in/near uptown do they go? It will need to fit within the liquor store restrictions as two buck chuck is kinda important :D
I think there might be a better shot of them opening a place downtown at this point.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Then where in/near uptown do they go? It will need to fit within the liquor store restrictions as two buck chuck is kinda important :D
I think there might be a better shot of them opening a place downtown at this point.
Yeah....like DTE (Mills District area).

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm

I noticed the UTEC apartment proposal in Dinkytown has 40,000 square feet of retail space included. TJ's would fit in perfectly at that site , although I'm not sure about zoning for liquor sales at this location. However, it needs to be remembered that there are TJ's that do not sell liquor and they are very successful. It is not imperative they sell alcohol and Uptown could have one without it.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 16th, 2012, 10:27 am

This isn't directly related to Trader Joes, but a recent Minnpost article linked to a voicemail Meg Tuthill left after somebody contacted her about changing ordinances to allow for a microbrewery in Uptown.

http://soundcloud.com/mnbeeractivists/v ... eg-tuthill

What a vibrant

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2012, 10:37 am

That's meg, and she is right. A bit gruff, but correct.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 16th, 2012, 10:59 am

I wish Meg would stop saying she is a small business owner, her balloon shop shop closed ages ago.

She is just the worst in my opinion. She is too in favor of the incumbents and status quo. I can get that you do not want 20 story towers in Uptwon. Trying to shut down patios, taking pride in the fact you "downzoned" and that you have no interest in looking at changing ordinances is dumb.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I wish Meg would stop saying she is a small business owner, her balloon shop shop closed ages ago.

She is just the worst in my opinion. She is too in favor of the incumbents and status quo. I can get that you do not want 20 story towers in Uptwon. Trying to shut down patios, taking pride in the fact you "downzoned" and that you have no interest in looking at changing ordinances is dumb.
I think she's pretty right on. I mean, so they can't sell growlers. ok. If your business is now unsuccessful, maybe you should re-think your business plan.

They already did the work of setting ordinances so that they wouldn't have to re-hash it every time someone wanted to open a business some where. Honey.

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » August 16th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Meg says that 25th and Hennepin is not Uptown? I think if you asked 100 people if that intersection was in "Uptown," at least 90 of them would say yes.

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » August 16th, 2012, 2:17 pm

On a related note to the topic...there is a "For Rent" sign in the window of the old Sunnyside Up.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 16th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Meg says that 25th and Hennepin is not Uptown? I think if you asked 100 people if that intersection was in "Uptown," at least 90 of them would say yes.
It's all about semantics with a generational perspective from Ms Tuthill. 30 years ago this would have been considered "The Wedge" along Hennepin Ave. The residential area just to the east is still "The Wedge", however, most people now include the Hennepin Ave commercial corridor south of Franklin as part of "Uptown".

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2012, 3:10 pm

I live in the wedge and still refer to it as such... Just because the majority of people think something doesn't mean it's right... the world is round you know.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Uptown starts at 27th. The area north of that is the wedge/ lowry hill district. The neighborhoods have been trying to protect the unique identity of the area from the Uptown bleed. Lyn Lake is another example. Nothing on Lyndale is Uptown. If everything is uptown, then there is no uptown.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 16th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Or actually 28th.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 16th, 2012, 4:07 pm

If everything is uptown, then there is no uptown.
Deep...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 16th, 2012, 4:11 pm

:lol: That voice mail is hilarious. Condescend much?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Meg : you go girl!! :) I agree with statements above. And I call it "The Wedge" when referring to the commercial corridor of Hennepin down to 28th. The area south of Franklin and west of Hennepin is actually the "East Isles" neighborhood...lol. But like it or not, most of the people where I work use "Uptown" as the umbrella name for all 4 neighborhoods mentioned above (and sometimes including the Whittier area). Back to topic: I'm happy to see the "for rent" sign up at Sunnyside. It would be nice to see a smaller local business go in there. A strong difference between The Wedge and Lyn-lake versus Uptown is their are fewer chains and more local businesses which keeps it more authentic to the character of the neighborhood. This really needs to be preserved and protected.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 16th, 2012, 8:52 pm

One slight problem I have with Tuthill's seemingly high-minded claim that she won't rezone for any individual business - I seem to remember that she introduced an amendment to the City's liquor store ordinance requiring new licenses to be 300' from the lot lines of schools and churches, instead of the old requirement of being 300' from the front doors of schools and churches. She introduced this amendment after someone had submitted an application for a liquor store that would be less than 300' from the lot line but more than 300' from the front door of Jefferson school, which according to CM Tuthill, is not in Uptown. This amendment prevented this particular business from opening in what otherwise would have been a permissible location.

I can only think of two explanations: 1. CM Tuthill had always planned to introduce such an ordinance and just happened to after a business just happened to apply in her ward that would be affected by it; or 2. she introduced that ordinance specifically to prevent that business from opening.

Re the voice mail - wow. I really hope that is not what the typical person hoping to open a business in Minneapolis hears. If I were planning to run for Ward 10 I would hang on to that recording and blast it from a loudspeaker come election time.
"Who rescued whom!"

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 17th, 2012, 9:19 am

That's kind of my point as well. Whether or not you agree with that specific decision, you really can't enhance the "anti-business" perception any more than she did in that voicemail.