Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Scott16475
City Center

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Scott16475 » July 10th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Is the taller building in the center of the above picture new to the project or has it always been a possibility?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » July 10th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Pure speculation on my part!

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 10th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Other than the first and second floor banking operations does Wells Fargo even have a large presence in their namesake tower anymore? They move their people around so much it's hard to keep track. They use to have several floors at 100 S. 5th, but I don't know if they're still around there or not.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 10th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Nice work, Avian!

Homer, the Hines site for WFC lists WF first on the list of tenants: http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=225. They have ~7,000 employees downtown (not at Honeywell campus). That's a pretty big chunk of space.

Scott16475
City Center

Postby Scott16475 » July 10th, 2013, 2:04 pm

I would love for your speculation to be a reality, Avian!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 10th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Is that a really big conceptual building, or does it just look that way due to the perspective?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » July 10th, 2013, 2:31 pm

^It's about in scale to a 40-story building on the site.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » July 11th, 2013, 8:58 am

Other than the first and second floor banking operations does Wells Fargo even have a large presence in their namesake tower anymore? They move their people around so much it's hard to keep track. They use to have several floors at 100 S. 5th, but I don't know if they're still around there or not.
According to the MPLS - STPL Business Journal the 15 largest downtown employers as of 2012 were:

1. Target - 12,239
2. Wells Fargo - 7,000
3. Hennepin County Medical Center - 5,800
4. Ameriprise Financial - 5,650
5. Hennepin County - 5,222
6. U.S. Bank - 3,253
7. City of Minneapolis - 2,146
8. Xcel Energy - 1,348
9. Capella University - 1,195
10. Thrivent Financial - 1,163
11. RBC Wealth Management - 1,150
12. Star Tribune – 1,136
13. TCF Financial Corp. - 1,046
14. Federal Reserve Bank of MPLS - 1,026
15. Macy’s - 866

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 16th, 2013, 9:37 am

The Wrecker Services lot on the northeast corner of Lyndale and Glenwood has been up for sale for a little while now. It is zoned as, and being advertised for redevelopment as, C3A. It'd be cool to see a mixed-use go up here, with IMS across the street.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.97939,-9 ... 39,,0,1.55

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2013, 10:08 am

I could see someone picking that up speculatively looking toward redevelopment of the Royalston Station area. "Farmers Market Flats" or something.

Although it might be more suited for non-residential. Both the noise and views of elevated I-94 are brutal.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 16th, 2013, 10:23 am

I bet it ends up a supportive housing project.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 31st, 2013, 5:46 pm

Dayton was in San Francisco last week:
http://www.startribune.com/politics/blo ... 37251.html

It sure would be nice to see WF (Norwest) come home.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 31st, 2013, 8:52 pm

would be nice to see a big tech company do something in minnesota. rather jealous seeing apple build facilities in other states.

norwest bought wells and it was a letdown the execs chose san francisco for the hq. but we're talking san francisco and it's a pretty amazing city.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » August 1st, 2013, 7:16 pm

It could have been to discuss the Star Tribune blocks and Well Fargo's involvement in the development, along with trying to make ties with Silicon Valley companies possibly?

San Francisco I would consider to be the financial capital of the West Coast so I think WF will probably always stay put there, but will always have a secondary corporate base in Minneapolis. It's kind of like how Delta operates to me, their main operations will be always in Atlanta (given Hartsfield is way larger and more internationally known), but Minneapolis will remain an important hub (along with Detroit) given Northwest's past presence.

Executive millionaires tend to like to stay in major world cities (especially ones working in the financial sector), while the mid-sized cities with expanding downtowns such as Denver and Minneapolis are hotbeds for white-collar positions with incomes in the high 5-figure to 6-figure range.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » January 5th, 2014, 3:13 am

With a bit of effort and vision, Minneapolis, geographically could be primed to remake itself, during the course of the next decade, into a thriving, "Upper Midwest Riviera" of sorts, offering year-round major league sporting events, world-class theater/arts, gaming, and leisure, targeting the thousands of workers in the expansive oil production industries of North Dakota.

Imagine Washington Avenue from 1st Avenue North to the new stadium lined with towering new luxury hotels, a la a mini Las Vegas Strip, water parks, gaming sites, retail, ferris wheels, waterfalls, and a booming night life. Couple that with an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at luring that ever growing number of lucrative oil industry workers and Iron Range miners, Canadians and visitors from around the country/world (like those tens of millions who annually visit The Mall of America) and Minneapolis could become this kind of destination getaway in the not too distant future. Double or triple the volume of shows being performed at our Hennepin Avenue theaters; Promote a surge in the number of stage shows, outdoor concerts, Broadway revues, street art and being performed downtown; Execute the plans to develop the downtown riverfront into accessible public beaches, wave pools and perhaps a Spring/Summer navigable marina and viola - Minneapolis could be transformed into a regional playground and destination resort hotspot. It's about building on our sizable existing infrastructure to create a national buzz, minting an image of Minneapolis as a city of action, entertainment and excitement. Imagine the jobs and tax revenue this could generate for the city and state.

Build truly high-speed rail lines from Fargo, Chicago and Rochester into the North Loop Station and watch the Minneapolis tourism business soar!

Developers Steve Wynn, Zygi Wilf, are you listening?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 5th, 2014, 9:14 am

Let's focus on being the Minneapolis of the Upper Midwest.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 5th, 2014, 11:52 am

I appreciate the enthusiasm and optimism.

Most have heard the old saying, "Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there." The Twin Cities are the opposite of that. That is okay.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 5th, 2014, 12:11 pm

^^^ Or, "nice place to visit in the summer but I wouldn't want to live there in January" ;)
Appreciate Writruth's enthusiasm too.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 5th, 2014, 2:01 pm

There are some private investor's working on variations of Writruth's ideas. The potential hotspots include Yale Place/Harmon Place, Hennepin Av and Downtown East. There is a major children's retailer hunting for about 100,000 square feet of downtown space right now, which is good news for families.
Last edited by Avian on January 7th, 2014, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Plato

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » January 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm

100,000 sq ft for retail aimed at kids? Hmmm that's like big-box sized retail. Seems strange to me. Toys 'R' Us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk