City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Re: City Center

Postby TroyGBiv » September 9th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Wow horrible! I thought I was looking at City Center but it was the one in South Africa!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 10th, 2013, 8:10 am

^Ditto! It may be almost the exact same scale as well -- 730 feet tall and ~850K SF (although I assumed the Multifoods Tower was over 1M SF).

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » September 10th, 2013, 8:58 am

Last week I noticed the northeast corner of City Center (with the sealed-off-from-the-dangerous-world Office Depot) was blockaded with a construction fence. Could it be that Office Depot plans to finally open up to the Corner of Sixth and Nicollet?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 17th, 2013, 7:23 pm

When I was at the Nicollet Mall renovation presentations at The Guthrie, I had a chance to speak with representatives of Shorenstein Properties who own City Center. They are planning a major upgrade of The Nicollet Mall facade which will occur in the next one to two years! :D :D :D :D

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 17th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Great news - if only it would happen sooner! I really wish they'd add a restaurant on the street level facing Nicollet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2013, 9:04 pm

I'll be happy if they just add windows on the street level facing the mall.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Jenny on the Block
Block E

Postby Jenny on the Block » September 17th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Target did a major remodel of their office spaces in the tower over the past few years. When I worked there, the building was affectionately known as "Shitty Center"- check out the decades-old brown and gold Christmas decor when the season rolls around.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 19th, 2013, 1:54 pm

That 's funny - I had forgotten we called it that Shitty Center! Surprisingly - if they just put glass around the base it would be 100% better. They would see significant improvement if they turned the stores to be street facing. It was a fortress in 1980's when it opened.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 20th, 2013, 12:28 pm

When the Multifoods Tower went up there was an immediate howl of disgust. I remember an architect from SOM saying back then that "in 10 years when it is surrounded by other 50-story buildings you won't even notice it."

My, what a resounding defense of their own work! :P

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 20th, 2013, 12:46 pm

In other professions and sectors, don't companies come up with subsidiaries with separate brand identities to take on work that compromises their upmarket brands? Surprised SOM put their name on some of this stuff.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 20th, 2013, 11:04 pm

When the Multifoods Tower went up there was an immediate howl of disgust. I remember an architect from SOM saying back then that "in 10 years when it is surrounded by other 50-story buildings you won't even notice it."

My, what a resounding defense of their own work! :P
That's almost unbelievable he said that, but I believe it. There is some truth in what he said though. The urbane Wells Fargo building does tame the tower somewhat in the skyline. I remember there was also much criticism of the street level fortress facade when it was built. Now 30 years later we're still feeling its negative impact.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 7th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Great news about the City Center renovation.
Am I missing something? I didn't know that there were any plans to renovate in the works.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby MplsSteve » January 7th, 2014, 10:21 pm

If any City Center renovations are made, I hope they would consider an outdoor skyway stair connection like the one that was proposed for the IDS block. City Center is really where something like this is needed, not IDS.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 8th, 2014, 4:50 pm

http://shorenstein.com/portfolio/invest ... ty?id=6299
Shorenstein intends to enhance the Property with physical improvements to the lobby and entrances, upgrading building systems, replacing the roof, and other base building work.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » January 12th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Designed by the world-renowned architectural firm, Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the office tower is an impressive granite structure with recessed windows forming an attractive grid pattern.
Thanks for the laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 12th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I've always heard of ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE but never the negative.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 12th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Despite the ludicrous comments about the architecture, Shorenstein was no fool when they bought this property. This office tower has remained almost 100% leased for years. Personally, I really don't care so much about the tower. When they redo the base and open it up and add some better retail along Nicollet Mall, I'll be a happy camper. :)

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 13th, 2014, 9:55 am

Is there any chance that they'd consider maybe adding some lights on the redone roof? It really wouldn't take much to make this building at least presentable. Personally, I'd like to see a new crown go up top, but that's probably not going to happen. Even just a light bar around the top would look so much better - and now might be the time with All-Star game coming up so soon. It's ridiculously visible from Target Field.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » January 13th, 2014, 10:00 am

I think there's a good chance of that. Some companies have been getting creative on renovating their ugly bunker skyscrapers of this mold. I am hoping for a Block E level of enhancement on the Nicollet side, and some subtle accent lighting would help it fit in with our increasingly lively night skyline. I'm less optimistic about what they'll do on the north and south sides (6th/7th)...

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » January 13th, 2014, 10:18 am

I think any restaurant would have a much better chance of success in the old Forum space if they gave it more streetfront presence. Even with signage and awnings, it really tends to get lost and overlooked. It would be wonderful if they could design a facade for the space that would reflect the interior design.