DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Scott16475
City Center

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Scott16475 » January 17th, 2014, 8:14 am

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but when building a structure on top of a parking garage, do they typically build the garage in a way that makes the exterior aesthetically flow from the garage to the building above? In other words, if we were walking by the structure, would we be able to see cars parked in the garage or would the garage be hidden?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 17th, 2014, 8:45 am

I hope the answer is yes! Anytime I think of ramp-based buildings like this proposal or the LPM project or whatever I think of Miami and its dead downtown. I'd actually be happier if the first floor of this ramp/building was all retail, or at least a showroom or some other kind of space that meets the street nicely.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 17th, 2014, 9:30 am

Here's hoping for something significant and breathtaking.
do they typically build the garage in a way that makes the exterior aesthetically flow from the garage to the building above?
Centre Village by JasonSandquist, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 17th, 2014, 10:24 am

One can look at the Carlyle as an example of a nicely camoed parking structure. Center Village was a bad experiment in Chicago style multi-use structure. Hopefully we can learn from the past mistakes.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2014, 10:56 am

The face of the ramp facing the plaza (4th Street) has a significant setback to the ramp, and so the liner parcel remaining there means that that part of the ramp will likely be completely screened behind active uses. The other faces of the ramp may have non-parking uses on the ground floor (depending on the market, etc.), but the ramp will be visible above it.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » January 17th, 2014, 11:04 am

The grant Park condo building is another decent example. The parking ramp is completely invisible besides the entrance since it is fronted by townhomes on all sides.

The parking ramp in question will probably a different since the developer will only have street fronting on one side to work with for retail and a lobby. From a structural standpoint, it'll be much like Center Village, but lets hope the proposed plans come back with something that looks much better. Probably more in line with the Sexton 2 proposal which never got built.

http://tanek.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... y-city.jpg

You'll notice retail at the base of the tower and the brick levels above were designated as shaded parking levels. It can be done nicely if developers put some thought into it.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » January 17th, 2014, 7:11 pm

"Ruling throws wrench in suit over east downtown park"

"Activists suing the city over a deal to build a park in east downtown received a major blow Friday afternoon when a Hennepin County judge ordered them to post a $10 million surety bond."

http://www.startribune.com/local/240925671.html

Turns out its put up or shut up time for the ones bringing up the lawsuit. However they are working very hard on coming up with a work around. I doubt they would find a way to come up with ten million in cash or a legal work around by next Thursday (1/23). So in less then a week the park, Wells Fargo towers, and mega ramp should continue unhampered from here on out.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » January 19th, 2014, 2:39 pm

"Activists drop lawsuit over park planned for development near new Vikings stadium"

"MINNEAPOLIS — Three activists have dropped a lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis over its plans for a park linked to a $400 million development project near the new Vikings stadium."

http://www.startribune.com/local/241083141.html

Looks like this got resolved more timely then I would have thought. I also don't think this created to much of a delay.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 19th, 2014, 2:43 pm

To be sure, though, this is one of two lawsuits, correct? The one that could delay the bond sale is still ongoing.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 19th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Here's hoping for something significant and breathtaking.
do they typically build the garage in a way that makes the exterior aesthetically flow from the garage to the building above?
Centre Village by JasonSandquist, on Flickr
Is that Kraus-Anderson's HQ? Oddly small building on such a prime downtown site. Shameful actually.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 19th, 2014, 11:20 pm

It's about the land investment… eventually that block will become prime and since they own it they will be developers. A lot of those blocks were dirt cheap a couple decades ago.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 20th, 2014, 10:15 am

^^^Yep, I think these underdeveloped blocks (in the photo) are poised to become prime as DTE grows. Give it 10-15 years.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 20th, 2014, 10:30 am

Of all the empty or nearly empty blocks within shouting distance of the CBD, I'd say this one is about as far as it gets from being "prime". Nice access to 35W though...
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 20th, 2014, 11:10 am

Yeah, I'm sure that Kraus Anderson bought this piece of land thinking that they'd occupy it for a few years and then flip it for a new tower site that they'd get to build.

This strategy also points to a long running trend that, in retrospect, seems to have finally ebbed.

Basically since the birth of Minneapolis, the center of gravity of downtown has been shifting inexorably from Bridge Square (at the intersection of Hennepin and Nicollet and the River) to the south and east. If you look at the last big burst of building activity from the mega-boom of the 1980's, it was centered around 9th Street and 2nd Avenue. Kraus Anderson could reasonably have looked at that migration and decided that their block would be prime for redevelopment in the next wave.

I'd argue that construction since that boom has tended to finally stop and reverse that long standing migration. We've seen quite a bit of infill development, and lately a return to the North end of Nicollet Mall. Time will tell if the Ryan Development in Downtown East is an anomaly or the start of a new trend.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 21st, 2014, 11:04 am

Well oddly enough, the most accessible land is near the I-35W exists and onramps, and yet there is almost nothing there! That'd be one of the first places I would think to locate a business that had a lot of commuters and/or relied heavily on mass transit (in this case, buses). That would be the area that I'd expect continued office growth to focus, along with anything near the riverfront around Nicollet and also the new impending park (The Yard). Basically, East/Southeast. Housing, retail and institutions (museums, theatre, and other entertainment) would then continue to fill in mostly along the riverfront at and North of Washington Avenue and also Loring Park. I don't expect Office to ever really reach the end of Elliot Park, so I'd personally LOVE to see that area be heavily residential -- particularly, lower and middle class residential.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » January 21st, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm unsure if this has been posted yet, but here is a nice presentation about the Downtown East project.

Courtesy of Mill City Times...
The Mill District Neighborhood Association, Downtown Minneapolis Neighborhood Association, Elliot Park Neighborhood, Inc., and the East Downtown Council held a joint neighborhood meeting on Thursday, January 16, at Open Book. Ryan Companies gave downtown residents and businesses an update on their Downtown East Redevelopment Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6B4jXwot88#action=share

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 23rd, 2014, 10:35 am

Article is locked, but they're looking to close next week:
http://finance-commerce.com/2014/01/rya ... trib-land/

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 29th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Got a real camera finally...haven't quite figured out how the panoramic mode works yet.

P1260122 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 3rd, 2014, 11:28 pm

Tomorrow is the RFP deadline for the ramp structure, let's hope for some brilliant (world class) proposals that will result in giving Minneapolis something to be proud of.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » February 4th, 2014, 1:23 am

Alright…. Fingers crossed. C'mon. Something stunning is long, long overdue. Be bold developers. Take our collective breath away!