AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Postby seanrichardryan » January 29th, 2014, 1:49 pm

This site is finally being marketed for development.

Http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... pment.html

Mod note: Jump ahead to November 2014 for details on the actual proposal: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2045&start=80
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Re: Andrews Hotel site (4th & Hennepin)

Postby Aville_37 » January 29th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Excited about this! Obviously expect something tall and skinny. Funny how all of these developments especially those close to the light rail still want parking. Especially doesn't make sense here because the owner of the lot owns the parking garage next to it. I would say tear that sucker down and rebuild on both lots but I have to say I like that parking garage. Would be cool if it were repainted or artfully lighted.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 29th, 2014, 2:25 pm

Well, I do think there's still demand for car storage even if one rides to/from work via transit, walking or biking. Minneapolis is at a tipping point of sorts, with many looking to live urban but want to hedge their bets a bit on the car thing. I'm one of them - I drive little but can't quite ditch the car yet. Hopefully someday...

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 29th, 2014, 2:26 pm

If the Plymouth Building project goes through, along with Eclipse and 4Marq, we have quite a big new residential quarter opening up. I think that Lumber Exchange will also make a good residential building.

Exciting times downtown, indeed.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 29th, 2014, 2:38 pm

A taller, more slender building would be perfect for this site. A golden opportunity for a gateway project to mark the southern edge of the theater district. I'm crossing my fingers! :D

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 29th, 2014, 2:58 pm

A taller, more slender building would be perfect for this site. A golden opportunity for a gateway project to mark the southern edge of the theater district. I'm crossing my fingers! :D
Huh? This is across the street from the library. I would not call this the southern edge of the theater district.

It's still very exciting. Minneapolis is getting the population growth it's been looking for.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 29th, 2014, 3:53 pm

That parking ramp has 4 MFing curb cuts, alongside another one for a service dock/garage on the Xcel building. Barf.

http://goo.gl/maps/IyrtR

Good on Interpark for wanting to sell though and even specifically calling out "a mixed-use development". It doubly benefits their bottom line as they'll get an infusion of cash from the land sale, and a fat parking contract from the new apartment building residents.

Improvements to the public realm here are a must! Completely rebuilt (wider) sidewalk along 4th, relocated light poles, some type of treatment to all of those curb cuts to protect pedestrians, etc. I agree that the parking ramp could be made less of an eyesore with the addition of some lighting feature or public art to liven it up. Even a coat of (non-beige) paint and removing the stupid banners shown in Street View would help.

Once the Green Line is running, Metro Transit could probably do with a smaller bus shelter on 4th St, since it won't be handling 16 and 50 traffic anymore, just Route 3. The current shelters on 4th St (at Hennepin and at Nicollet) are actually pretty nice and should be repurposed elsewhere downtown.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 29th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Huh? This is across the street from the library. I would not call this the southern edge of the theater district.

It's still very exciting. Minneapolis is getting the population growth it's been looking for.
Thanks for pointing that out, and I meant the northern edge of the theater district. Agree with Twincitizen that the parking ramp is barfy, and I would think some aesthetic upgrades would happen to make it look better. One good thing is with minimal parking needed in the development itself, the base of the building should have improved street frontage. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a proposal for this site very soon.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 29th, 2014, 7:47 pm

From another thread in November...
Just throwing this out there...And yes I know it's cryptic but it has to be for now.
Something Skinny This Way Comes.
Very skinny if the plans remain the same by the time it is made public. Not a new tallest though it will impact the skyline.
I keep racking my brain trying to think of a plot narrow enough and high enough in demand to warrant this building type. Any ideas? ...

This is tower number one.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 29th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Nice. The sights on this end of downtown if they include towers will greatly enhance the skyline view from Target Field. The view into center field will look great.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » January 29th, 2014, 10:25 pm

I had never thought about any redeeming qualities about this ramp prior to Aville_37 and twincitizen's comments above. The parking ramp actually could add some visual interest to 4th St. The helix would be quite interesting with some night lighting- a poor man's ode to Guggenheim or something. Of course, better if it were gone, but it sounds like it is going to stick around for quite some time yet. Can't stand this ramp on the 5th St side- always feel like I am about to get run over. Sight lines are ridiculously dangerous. Hopefully a well designed development is proposed for the parking lot. Next to go can be the lot one block south.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 29th, 2014, 11:30 pm

In the not-too-distant past, the ramp was owned by Xcel/NSP to reserve the land for a replacement 5th St. Substation. Looking at the Hennepin County property map, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, but I expect (hope) there's still some kind of deal in place where Xcel gets right of first refusal or something of that nature on that property. So, I think contrast is right about the ramp being likely to stick around for a while. Honestly, though, I don't really mind it that much, as long as it gets a bit of a face-lift. The helix is interesting, and it doesn't jut out over the sidewalk. It's much better than the ramp at 4th and Nicollet, or 4th and Marquette.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Andrews hotel's site (4th & Hennepin)

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2014, 7:17 am

I'd rather see six story wooden framed building if it meant there was a way to ditch the ramp and ensure all blockfaces properly addressed the sidewalk.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » January 30th, 2014, 10:50 am

Ideally for me, I would love to see the helix structure be removed and the parking ramp re-configured so the exit and entrance is on 4th only. This would eliminate the need for the lane on the north side of the light rail on 5th st completely.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 30th, 2014, 11:25 am

Let's keep talking about the ramp and not the potential new skyscraper that might go in here...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 30th, 2014, 11:40 am

Minnesota, the land of the parking obsessed!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 30th, 2014, 11:57 am

Let's keep talking about the ramp and not the potential new skyscraper that might go in here...
Exactly! If you put a 50 story tower here you're not going to see the flipping parking ramp. I'd like to see something with a crown or a needle at the top, something that will stand out a bit.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 30th, 2014, 12:16 pm

A crown or spire will ensure the building serves people on the sidewalk and has proper relationship to the public realm.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 12:38 pm

A crown or spire will ensure the building serves people on the sidewalk and has proper relationship to the public realm.
Why can't a building add to the skyline, be architecturally unique and address it's height and street presence? The parking garage isn't being sold, why not have productive conversation about how much better we can make this corner in all aspects. For some people that means from their seat in Target Field, and for some people it's on the sidewalk heading to get a beer and watch the same baseball game in a bar. Our buildings can be cohesive and pleasing to both parties.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm

100% agree the relationship to the public realm at the street is most important. However, a taller building also has a civic responsibility to contribute to a city's skyline. Ask Phillip Johnson who designed the IDS and Cesar Pelli who designed Wells Fargo.