Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: Franklin & Lyndale Redevelopment

Postby bubzki2 » January 30th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Whoa, this is Awesome! I wonder if the roofdeck would be part of Rudolph's? I'm amazed they would change buildings...
Last edited by bubzki2 on January 30th, 2014, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 4:05 pm

This. Needs. To. Happen. Seriously this could be one of the most important things to happen in this neighborhood since. forever. lol.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 30th, 2014, 4:06 pm

So I'm not seeing anywhere where it says that Rudolph's is changing buildings? Why am I missing this?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 30th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Marquee signage on renderings... maybe speculative?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 30th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Good eye! I didn't even notice that. Very interesting.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 30th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Oh man. When I heard about this yesterday I thought, "Well, this will have to be at least partially on the lot that Rudolph's owns, and it'll have a retail/ restaurant component- maybe Rudolph's will move into the new building and sell their old location for redevelopment. They could make a killing." Honestly a little surprised to see this play out that logically. I bet after this is done we're going to get another new building on the NE corner of this intersection!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 30th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Very cool.
Towns!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 30th, 2014, 4:40 pm

With the ramp is there room for a Trader Joes?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 30th, 2014, 4:52 pm

If 24th and Colfax is Uptown, and the Burch Steakhouse building is Uptown...this is definitely in the realm of "greater Uptown". This forum uses a "Realtor's definition of Uptown", or everything between Grand Avenue and the Lakes, from 94 down to 36th Street.

http://www.ouruptown.com/2010/11/border ... es-uptown/
I intentionally put it in Minneapolis - General when I split the thread off, but move it if you want to.

Otherwise, this is pretty neat. I walk by that corner a couple times a week on my way to the Wedge and have been hoping for something cool to happen there, because it definitely needed some kind of improvement. So if Rudolph's moves into this, I wonder if the current Rudolph's building will get redeveloped?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 30th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Even the Strib picked up on the importance of this http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/242823261.html

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 30th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Also, looking at this a second time, it doesn't look like the elevation in the rendering is anywhere near the actual grade of Franklin heading west. I don't suppose it matters a ton, just noticed that.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 30th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Initial thoughts-

-Its big.
-I like the structured hidden parking.
-A roof patio facing the rear windows of the adjacent properties on Aldrich? I'd like to see how those two will relate in section.
-WHERE ARE THEY MOVING MY TAILOR???
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 30th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Genius move to offer public parking. In a neighborhood where parking is in scary demand, this will earn friends fast.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 30th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Genius move to offer public parking. In a neighborhood where parking is in scary demand, this will earn friends fast.
I don't think so. There were rumblings about this project last month. People are hyper-sensitive. I'm not making a judgement, just reporting observations.

Setbacks are likely going to be a poblem, as will height.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Good thing I'm an owner in the neighborhood now, right? they have to listen to me and build it. ;)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 30th, 2014, 11:22 pm

The design of this is a big disappointment to me. I kind of dig the park-on-parking concept but the overall building presence is underwhelming. The renderings have the double-negative of bland cookie-cutter design married to a hulk of a building that appears to loom over the very nice historic appartment buildings on Franklin.

I'm reserving judgement on this until I learn more but it's gonna be an uphill battle to get this built.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 30th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Also, looking at this a second time, it doesn't look like the elevation in the rendering is anywhere near the actual grade of Franklin heading west. I don't suppose it matters a ton, just noticed that.
You're right and I think it matters A LOT. The way the renderings look now, this building dwarfs the historic apartment buildings on Franklin. That doesn't look very neighborly. The rendering could possibly look much better if they got the grade right. It's kind of scary they got it so wrong.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 11:54 pm

The design of this is a big disappointment to me. I kind of dig the park-on-parking concept but the overall building presence is underwhelming. The renderings have the double-negative of bland cookie-cutter design married to a hulk of a building that appears to loom over the very nice historic appartment buildings on Franklin.

I'm reserving judgement on this until I learn more but it's gonna be an uphill battle to get this built.
Very nice historic buildings on Franklin? You're being EXTREMELY Generous. They are old, and they sure could be nice.. I live north of Franklin on Aldrich, none of the buildings directly on Franklin are maintained very well. (funny how all of those 10's/20's buildings look a like too, similar brick and size, almost cookie cutter like, but vintage cookies, so that's cool).

If opus can build on the House of Hanson Site without any former tenants committed, and Save Dinkytown against it, This can get built with Theatre Garage and Rudolph's behind it. It's not outstanding or even perfect, but it's definitely good.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 31st, 2014, 12:03 am

Second thoughts:

This looks terrible viewed toward franklin.
I hate Collage Architects style of renderings.
Looks dated and unfriendly, in a 1970s office park kind of way.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » January 31st, 2014, 6:49 am

While it is tacky looking.. it's nothing worse than the stuff going on further south. I think we're all dreaming if we think they would design something that fits in better.
That said, it is an improvement from the status quo, right??
I foresee the "former" Rudolph's becoming a white elephant on the street & my biggest fear is the so-called "bro's" will be migrating north to my hood.