Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Nicollet Mall

Postby mattaudio » January 16th, 2014, 5:22 pm

He must be reading UrbanMSP where many of us think Bottineau's routing is worse than SWLRT. ;)

But yes, I do share your concern. Too many rural/exurban road interests, too few urbanites seem to be informing Dayton's transportation priorities.

stp1980
Metrodome

Postby stp1980 » January 17th, 2014, 7:21 am

This doesn't explain Bottineau's absence, though. That actually concerns me more than Southwest as it indicates a lack of interest in transitways by the Governor's office.
Agreed.
Could it be that this is an election year? He wants to play it safe on big projects especially if there is controversy around them. Although he does appear to be not too hot on transit.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » January 17th, 2014, 8:04 am

Yeah, Dayton has lots of big donors in Kenwood. He's omitted the project to save himself from attending awkward house parties near Lake of the Isles during this election year.

If the House and Senate include funding for SWLRT, Dayton will sign the bill and won't line item veto it. Like others have mentioned, SWLRT has a lot of support in the business community.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2014, 10:47 am

This sidebar should probably get shifted to the SWLRT thread, but MPR did a good of covering the sleight yesterday.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 29th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Nice article from Sam Newberg in the Downtown Journal: http://www.journalmpls.com/voices-feed/ ... -potential

Also - next community meeting showcasing revised Nicollet redesign is February 19th.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 29th, 2014, 10:52 pm

I read somewhere there was a preview at the 'Lunch with Lisa' today.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 30th, 2014, 12:34 am

I read somewhere there was a preview at the 'Lunch with Lisa' today.
I went to the presentation ( by David Frank and a local architect involved in the project) It was similar to what I saw and heard by James Corner at the Guthrie. Lisa Goodman was adamant the serpentine design of the Mall remain intact and biking will be permitted even if the streetcar happens :?: The pavement will have a slightly gravel texture for safety. There are some locations on the mall where conditions are favorable to create a grove of trees as was proposed by Mr Corner ( the species type is still being evaluated). They are going to request 25 million rather than 20 million in state bonding this year, with the remaining 1/2 of the 50 million dollar project assessed to the Mall's property owners. There were many older residents from nearby condo buildings attending. Many gave excellent feedback/comments from the perspective of actually using the mall for many years. The next informational meeting is February 19th at the Downtown Library in Pohlad Hall 4:30-6:30pm. I'm going to try to attend if my work schedule permits.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2014, 8:25 am

thanks for the info!

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 30th, 2014, 9:26 am

Thanks John. Were the fire pits discussed at all?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 30th, 2014, 11:27 am

The presenters said many of details haven't been worked and the they are working more on the general design. They still need to get the bonding, etc. And even with a 50 million dollar budget they hinted its going to be tight. I'm getting the feeling its going to be a fairly modest design. They did speak about putting a reflective mirror under the IDS skyway. A lot of people at my table grumbled ;)

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 30th, 2014, 11:29 am

The presenters said many of details haven't been worked and the they are working more on the general design. They still need to get the bonding, etc. And even with a 50 million dollar budget they hinted its going to be tight. I'm getting the feeling its going to be a fairly modest design. They did speak about putting a reflective mirror under the IDS skyway. A lot of people at my table grumbled ;)
Wait, I don't understand... what would the point of a reflective mirror be????

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 30th, 2014, 1:42 pm

[
To collect soot from passing buses.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm

[
:lol:

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 30th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Sometimes designer make you scratch and head and say WTF!! It should be classy and KISS it!

skyrab

Postby skyrab » January 30th, 2014, 5:57 pm

[
So...no more wearin' yer kilts under tha' skyway laddies:)

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 30th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Personally I like the idea of the reflective mirror under the skyways. Love them or hate them, skyways are not going anywhere and are a huge part of what makes up our cities and urban landscape. We need to start thinking about how to better incorporate them into the city from a design standpoint and stop thinking them of simply being a heated/indoor means of getting from point A to B. Make them more unique and a focal point, incorporate seasonal balconies/small cafes overlooking Nicollet Mall and other streets, add living screens, decorative elements, exterior lighting, stairs and elevators.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 30th, 2014, 9:01 pm

So...no more wearin' yer kilts under tha' skyway laddies:)
Why's that? I've got nothing to be ashamed of.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 31st, 2014, 12:22 pm

ImageTis no more than what god gave me, you puritan pukes!
"Who rescued whom!"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 31st, 2014, 2:19 pm

Personally I like the idea of the reflective mirror under the skyways. Love them or hate them, skyways are not going anywhere and are a huge part of what makes up our cities and urban landscape. We need to start thinking about how to better incorporate them into the city from a design standpoint and stop thinking them of simply being a heated/indoor means of getting from point A to B. Make them more unique and a focal point, incorporate seasonal balconies/small cafes overlooking Nicollet Mall and other streets, add living screens, decorative elements, exterior lighting, stairs and elevators.
You make some great points that I hope will be addressed. Not a fan of the mirror idea personally, but I think realistically with a project like this everyone will like or dislike some detail or another no matter what. The important thing IMO is to get the flooring and lighting on of the Mall upgraded, safer for pedetrians, and make it attractive but durable.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 31st, 2014, 3:16 pm

I like the mirror idea if it's sculptural like the bean in Chicago or gehry-esque