Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Franklin & Lyndale Redevelopment

Postby mplsjaromir » January 31st, 2014, 3:31 pm

Trilby claimed that crime in The Wedge went down because of efforts she made, when in reality crime went down in every urban neighborhood throughout the country. People like her truly believe the world revolves around them. That is not praiseworthy.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 31st, 2014, 4:12 pm

To get back to the building at hand, the retail level will be below alley level, mid block, for the most part. That's why you can drive into the 2nd parking level from Franklin. The alley will be close to equal level to the 2nd level of the parking deck. The apartment building on Franklin and Aldrich, on the alley side is 4 stories, which includes a small retail store next to the alley itself. On Aldrich it is 3 stories, because of the uphill grade of Franklin up to Hennepin. For anyone to say that this building will tower over any apartments is not taking into consideration the topography of the area it is being build. The top floor of the Aldrich apartment buildings will be basically close to that of the 5th level of the new building. Also the 6th floor only faces Franklin and Lyndale, due to the roof top park. So only the 6th floor would be above the top of those apartment building by at most 10-15 feet if that. Also the 2 apartment buildings on the north side of Franklin and Aldrich match the roof level for the 5th level as well. SEE GOOGLE MAPS perspective street level look.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 31st, 2014, 7:25 pm

What's the deal with the sidewalk at the corner? It looks like it tapers in (similar to what's there today) rather than possibly having a slight bulge out for peds (and, IMO calming traffic that just came screaming off 94). Is there a reason for this, or am I just looking at the rendering/layout wrong? I know that Lyndale bends ever so slightly east just south of Franklin, but the westernmost lane is about 17.5' wide. I'll throw in my 2 cents that 3 curb cuts for a building this size does seem like a bit much - couldn't the small one at-grade be removed and the 6 angled spots either re-jigged or removed (that would be a pretty minimal loss)?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 31st, 2014, 8:10 pm

I assume that it's like that to accommodate buses merging into traffic from the bus stop north of Franklin. It does seem like the radius on the corner cut is really extreme, though.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » January 31st, 2014, 10:02 pm

I love this development. It will be great for the neighborhood. I especially love the fact that it goes all the way down to the older buildings on the southern half of the block - creating a nearly uninterrupted full block of storefronts. In a perfect world I think most of Lyndale should be like that from Franklin to 31st St.

twincitizen

Re: Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Postby twincitizen » February 5th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Folks, I'm putting UrbanMSP on alert.

This development may seem like a slam dunk, no-brainer to us, but you better believe it is facing some opposition in LHENA (The Wedge).

There's been discussion in other topics over what one can do to support (or not support) a particular development.

Here is your answer:

1) Send supportive emails to Lisa Bender ([email protected]). These will go into the formal record that is then reviewed by the Planning Commission and provide the necessary balance against the anti-growth people (who are definitely sending letters to Lisa already)

2) Attend the upcoming LHENA meeting when this project is discussed if they live in the Wedge area (you can attend if you live in Whittier or Stevems, etc). Residents can also send supportive letters to the Neighborhood's President Will Bornstein ([email protected]).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 5th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Thanks for that, we should also post a sort of blank format of letter that we should send to these sorts of people too? Because it should be like 'Yo, Liza, I like dis building.'

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 5th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Thanks for that, we should also post a sort of blank format of letter that we should send to these sorts of people too? Because it should be like 'Yo, Liza, I like dis building.'
*http://www.wikihow.com/Address-a-Letter ... t-Official

** you can download a format here... http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/Business-Letter
Last edited by Nathan on February 5th, 2014, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2014, 1:10 pm

What about petitions for these sorts of things? They are a little more accessible because people just have to agree with predefined claims rather than craft their own reasons.

The flip side is that they look like an organized network and they give cause for the other side to organize further. e.g. http://savedinkytown.com/sign-our-petition/

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » February 6th, 2014, 1:54 pm

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but what exactly is so bad about the proposal that people are against? Are they scared of progress or do they just really love the surface lot and the ugly building, and an intersection that remains hauntingly creepy in the night?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 6th, 2014, 2:27 pm

It'll produce too much traffic. Allegedly.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2014, 3:15 pm

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but what exactly is so bad about the proposal that people are against? Are they scared of progress or do they just really love the surface lot and the ugly building, and an intersection that remains hauntingly creepy in the night?
Humans don't like change. End of story.

And god forbid the "traffic" is going to result from replacing a theater and storefronts with a similar number of storefronts. Except that it will have a much more orderly parking situation. This proposal could actually reduce traffic by quickly putting motorists in the parking garage instead of circling the block for a spot. The notion that less than 200 residents (many of which will not be daily drivers) will add "traffic" to a street that carries over 30,000 vehicles daily is laughable. Seriously...people complaining about traffic should be pointed out and corrected. I am so sick of it.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 6th, 2014, 9:38 pm

People complaining about traffic shouldn't live in one of the densest neighborhoods in the state if that's what they care about

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 6th, 2014, 9:55 pm

I have some sympathy for people concerned with traffic, but I do agree that this particular apartment project will have no meaningful impact on traffic.

What may have an impact is adding thousands of units in this part of town, all served by Lyndale Avenue which is over capacity for big chunks of the day, at the same time when people on this board are screaming to eliminate some of its traffic lanes because it's too "stroady".

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 8th, 2014, 12:40 pm

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 8th, 2014, 1:28 pm

And Madeline Douglas, a Save Dinkytown superstar, has joined the group.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 8th, 2014, 3:14 pm

A post on the Facebook page, in response to one Madeline Douglas: (emphasis mine)
As far as keeping certain groups off our page, because this is a public forum, yet maintained by those who believe in responsible development, we can just delete any posts from other parties who we deem as not in line with our mission statement.
We are all new at moderating a Facebook page, but a private group, in addition to this public page, sounds like a good idea. I'll talk with the rest of our lil group & see if we can get one up & running soon!
They're not interested in conversation, or development. This group is about one thing - stopping this development.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 8th, 2014, 4:18 pm

And this is the problem with democracy

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 8th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Democracy and local government are great when they identify issues like construction affecting existing building structures, noise, etc. Or the person on the site who noted her view of downtown (which was quite nice) would be taken, lowering her property value (though odd she also noted that adding this building would increase housing costs in the area, hurtful to regular people income levels..). The city should force the developer to mitigate these issues where possible, and compensate impacts on a case-by-case basis - ie pay the condo owner with a view for the loss of said view.

But using added people as a proxy for noise, car pollution, crime are the knee-jerk reactions that need to be combatted. For example, citing the inevitable crime that will come to this corner thanks to added density and foot traffic, saying it will become the next Uptown, crime-wise, is off-base (can someone point to data showing if current crime rates are higher at Lake/Hennepin than Franklin/Lyndale?). Saying this will lower property values while also complaining about rising property values or rents is completely contradictory. Assuming every one of the people living here will add to traffic, when only ~50% of people in the Wedge currently commute by car, is misleading. Assuming the existing public ROW is only large enough for the amount of people/businesses who currently patronize the area ignores all the possible improvements the city/Met Council should make, and ignores how many other, far denser places around the world survive.

That's why I made that (lengthy) response to Trilby B. I'm not wild about the architecture here, but we've certainly seen some high quality stuff go up in Uptown-ish area along with some lower-quality exteriors, so I'll take the good with the bad and hope the bad simply costs less to live in.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 8th, 2014, 4:46 pm

There's no legal basis for right to a view in this country. If she wants to keep that view of downtown forever, she should buy the air rights for every plot between her and downtown.

And I'm a fan of the Enlightened Despot myself :D