Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Mayo Clinic Square

Postby twincitizen » February 4th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Mayo Clinic will open a sports medicine facility, joining the Minnesota Wolves and Lynx, in major overhaul of troubled Minneapolis retail complex.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 51981.html

This is pretty exciting. It finally buries the Block E name that has been associated with failure for decades (minus the couple years when the new iteration was successful). It also gives the Mayo Clinic brand a visible presence in the Twin Cities that, up to this point, has been surprisingly non-existent. This and the Target Center renovation are going to leave this area looking completely transformed in a few years.

Note: The old Block E thread has been moved to the Nostalgia section

John
Capella Tower

Re: Mayo Clinic Square (formerly Block E)

Postby John » February 4th, 2014, 3:06 pm

This and the Target Center renovation are going to leave this area looking completely transformed in a few years.
Not to mention the pending renovation of the exterior base of City Center! :D

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 4th, 2014, 3:06 pm

The article says the renovations should be complete by the end of the year. Doesn't that seem fast?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 4th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Very fast! If true, they must be starting extremely soon.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 4th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Pretty good use of the space...much better than a practice facility alone!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 4th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Earlier reports were that Kieran's, Jimmy Johns and the Shout House would all stay. I wonder if this is still the case. I also look forward to a new tenant in the old Hard Rock space. I am sure this will be 100% full ASAP. Great news!!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

The rendering in the Strib article shows the Kieran's sign still in place on that corner. I couldn't imagine them kicking out the best reason to go there.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 4th, 2014, 3:19 pm

There will be minimal change to the concrete shell of the exterior, so mostly it's removing/ replacing the façade which won't take as long. I think the demo work to the interior has already begun. This is an exciting project with a great design. In addition to the Mayo and practice facility, there will be added retail on the street level, and maybe more office space.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 4th, 2014, 3:20 pm

The Business Journal did a better job reporting, IMO.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ock-e.html

The Star Tribune says it's only a 20,000 sq. ft. clinic, however, the Business Journal says 85,000. That's quite a big difference.

..."The project includes a 85,000-square-foot Mayo Clinic sports medicine center with services to evaluate and treat sports injuries and to provide sports-performance enhancement services. Mayo will also become the official medical provider for the Wolves and Lynx starting this summer. (It'll be similar to a sports medicine center at Mayo’s Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center in Rochester.)

The developers, who aren't seeking any public subsidies for the project, are trying to make the much-maligned Block E complex more pedestrian friendly and easier to navigate.

They've hired real estate broker Mike Shields of CBRE Chicago to attract "out-of-town marquee restaurants that complement the neighborhood" and existing tenants Kieran’s Irish Pub, The Shout House Dueling Pianos, Starbucks, and Jimmy John’s.
RSP Architects has been retained to design the building’s exterior and interior core renovation, expected to be completed early 2015. Jones Lang LaSalle brokers Jon Dahl and Brent Robertson are marketing additional office space in the complex.
"

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 4th, 2014, 3:34 pm

Mass confusion! Mayo's news release states 20k ft^2.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 4th, 2014, 5:15 pm

My guess is that it's 20K SF. 85K SF would be quite an extensive amount of office space, and I believe that the entirety of Block E had only between 80K and 85K SF of available space. 20K SF is akin to about two IDS floors, FWIW.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 4th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Holy crap, I just got the pun on the drive home. Whoever branded this was either a genius or a moron.

Block E = MC Square.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 4th, 2014, 6:27 pm

Fly Through...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQN-kVJ ... r_embedded

Here is a break down of the square footage

Mayo Clinic Square will house the roughly 20,000-square-foot sports medicine center, about 52,000 square feet for the Timberwolves and Lynx basketball operations, and another 23,000 square feet for the teams’ office space on its third and fourth floors.

Some other nuggets...
Jaffe said Tuesday that the building’s second floor will be used primarily as office space for other tenants and that Camelot is seeking “signature restaurants” for the ground floor.

“Our goal is to animate the street and make it more pedestrian-friendly than it is today,” Jaffe

Nearly 120,000 square feet of space on the building’s first and second floors is still available. Jon Dahl and Brent Robertson of Jones Lang LaSalle are handling office leasing and CBRE Group’s Chicago office will work on attracting the restaurants.

Preliminary plans for the building show two practice basketball courts taking up the building’s third floor where AMC’s 15-screen movie multiplex once operated. The courts are surrounded by locker rooms, offices, meeting spaces and other team-related uses.

Existing retail tenants Kieran’s Irish Pub, The Shout House Dueling Pianos, Jimmy John’s and Starbuck’s Coffee plan to remain.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 4th, 2014, 6:31 pm

I wonder if there will be an open face on which to put some Mayo signage. Help spread the word.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 4th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Holy crap, I just got the pun on the drive home. Whoever branded this was either a genius or a moron.

Block E = MC Square.
I saw someone posted this on Facebook. I wondered if someone would bring it over here. :mrgreen:

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 4th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Block E = MC Square.
Genius!

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 4th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Additional interior renderings can be seen here...
http://photos.twincities.com/2014/02/04 ... eapolis/#3

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 4th, 2014, 8:18 pm

'Mayo Clinic Square' has a very 1970s ring to it.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 4th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Hopefully this will mean that the Graves will update the lower façade of their 601 Hotel as well.

Has there been any illustrations of the 1st Ave and 7th street corner or full sides out there yet? Curious as to how they rework the strange octagon shape that was the Hard Rock Café. They need to work to green up that corner as well as they did the Kieran's area for outdoor seating.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » February 4th, 2014, 10:14 pm

'Mayo Clinic Square' has a very 1970s ring to it.
I think anything with "square'" in it has a 70's ring. The 1970's was a very square decade.