Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby talindsay » February 7th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Cool article, and sadly you're right about the north side bit. As a runner I can tell you that there are no good options for running on the north side - I often run up to Lowry but even that is less than awesome, and when I do run up to the Camden Bridge it's a couple miles of really crappy running into oncoming traffic on the streets. That contrasts with South Minneapolis, where the Greenway, the River trails, the Grand Rounds, all the lakes and the network of trails that connect them, and even many of the streets (Cedar south of 38th, for example) make for very good running.

What surprises me most about that Minneapolis map is how many people are running the street grid in Northeast, where the amenities for running are only slightly better than on the north side. That probably reflects the cultural inequality of running - it implies that white middle-class people run even when there aren't good amenities for them, whereas the African-American population is less likely to do so. This supports a lot of research I've read about just this - that there are more barriers than just simply infrastructure that cause adult male African-Americans especially to participate less in endurance sports.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 7th, 2014, 1:35 pm

I just realized there's another component - the data displayed are the internet-saved tracks of people's runs from their GPS watches. This means that runners who either (a) don't use GPS watches while running; or (b) don't upload those tracks to public internet tracking sites are missing from the sample. Since ownership of a non-essential luxury device such as a Garmin watch would be expected to correlate with wealth, it's actually more likely that we're simply missing the data for less-wealthy people in North Minneapolis. Still, the body of research on racial inequality in endurance sports would certainly indicate that use would be lower in North Minneapolis; but the maps probably far overstate this difference.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 7th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Also, the New York map shows clearly that people must use this app as they run marathons. The marathon route is clearly shown in the data, and I suspect it would show up in other cities. The Twin Cities Marathon route seems to show up somewhat, although not as obviously as in New York.
My flickr photos.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 7th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Yes, I noticed that other than Minneapolis, most of the cities' marathon routes show up very clearly on the map - New York is the most obvious, but Dallas is quite clear and Chicago is fairly clear. I'm actually surprised that RunKeeper's data doesn't appear to show people running the St. Paul part of the marathon course, because Garmin's data do show that as a major segment (though not as major as the Grand Rounds).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 7th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Most marathons are probably routed through the cities best day to day running areas though too.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 7th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I saw that map posted on Gizmodo. I had the same initial reaction... I don't think it means that they don't run, I just think it means that don't use that app. I read that the NYC map is severely wrong about one of their roads, (as in "no one ever runs there") but it is a dark line because of the NYC Marathon.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 17th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Vote for us as bike city... everyday?

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/bes ... ling-town/

skyrab

Postby skyrab » March 17th, 2014, 4:10 pm

...and this is the stuff that I hear about from my friend in New Mexico.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2014/03 ... chkeit.php

Whatever it was, it's definitely not the kind of press we want out there.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 17th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Yellow journalism. If you were to zoom out you'd see the American troops, British Troops and others. It was a reenactment sort thing.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » March 17th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Yellow journalism. If you were to zoom out you'd see the American troops, British Troops and others. It was a reenactment sort thing.

That may very well be the case; yet, perception is reality for people reading this in other states and/or just reading headlines and such. Funny and disturbing to read all of the comments in that article though.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » March 18th, 2014, 2:32 am

I really do not see a big deal about the Nazi themed dinner parties. Some over sensitive types might get uppity about it. However I really do not let up tight sensitive types dictate where I drink. Only been there once before done the boot. Yes I want to try the boot again. The college crowd, young crowd, booze loving crowd and those who have seen this place on the food network or was it travel channel for there very good food. Will still come in droves.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Head's up.

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 29th, 2014, 6:36 pm

The accent pretty much only good for laughs.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 14th, 2014, 10:23 am

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/neighbor ... else/8803/

we're not the most segregated in something! sorry for the mobile link...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Urban Planning

Postby Nathan » May 5th, 2014, 10:55 am

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 5th, 2014, 6:32 pm

That was kind of a sad "shout out" for Minneapolis. We were one of 10 cities rated for transportation greatness in an example of how cities could be rated, and we were in the middle grouping. For the cities where people most wanted to move to in the next 5 years, Minneapolis didn't make that list.

Sigh...

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 5th, 2014, 9:30 pm

If you ask people on the coasts what's in Minneapolis, they think frozen farmland. Who wants to live on a frozen farm?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 6th, 2014, 7:50 am

this was less to talk about people's perspective but to discuss how we should develop in the future... weall know our challenges when it comes to recruiting but what can we do to make the city desirable for the target market

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 6th, 2014, 8:50 am

I think we should embrace what makes us different and try to find a way to celebrate our coldness, whether by pulling a Harbin China and create the country's largest winter ice festival or doing something else that makes being outside in the cold actually ATTRACTIVE (I know, not an easy feat!). Perhaps that's what they're thinking regarding the Hollidazzle Parade, since they had pulled it and are reworking it....maybe they are trying to make it grander?

If Minneapolis can somehow make winter look fun and cool in the mind's of the rest of the country (outside of alpine skiing, like the Mountain West has already capitalized on), that would go far in changing the city's "Brand".

What about something like Oktoberfest, but instead of Germans drinking in October, we could try to create a cultural festival that celebrates America, Minnesota, and Minneapolis-St. Paul that combines families, food, drinking, and other festivities? Perhaps we could get the top Minnesota and Midwestern microbreweries to sponsor the fest and you could get the equivalent of the American Beer Festival in Denver combined with the family fun and outdoorsiness of Harbin meets Oktoberfest??

I'd visit a city that had that -- especially if the festival was HUGE!

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » May 6th, 2014, 4:24 pm

I think we already have something along those lines, you just have to cross the river to get there. I guess that might be asking too much from most folks though...

http://www.winter-carnival.com/about_us/history/

Maybe a concerted effort to expand the carnival and bring back the Ice Palace would help