Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby Minneboy » February 7th, 2014, 9:39 pm

I like the visuals (virtual tour) a lot. I do have to laugh though when they take you inside the swinging doors and not a security guard/cop in sight guarding the doors.

skyrab

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby skyrab » February 7th, 2014, 10:24 pm

I see some warm colored accents on the exterior. Are they going to use Kasota stone? It would make a nice contrast to the zinc paneling. The building's design actually looks influenced by Japanese Origami in its angular enfolding forms. Whether that is intentional I'm not sure. I also personally like it too as compared to many other football stadiums.
I agree, Avian's outstanding, 3-d Model renderings (previously in this thread) accentuate what you are saying John.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » February 8th, 2014, 8:46 am

It looks like they've added more glass to the sides than what they had on previous renderings. This is a big improvement, it was just one big hulking wall of stone before.

That said, I still think this is a fairly ugly stadium that will not stand the test of time.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2014, 11:01 am

They were sourcing Winona Travertine and MN Dolomite (a la twins stadium/wells fargo tower (Kasota Stone was a brand name that no longer exists... and didn't supply either the twins stadium or the wells fargo tower...))

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 8th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I like the visuals (virtual tour) a lot. I do have to laugh though when they take you inside the swinging doors and not a security guard/cop in sight guarding the doors.
Not to mention what would stop someone from tossing in a grenade? I know it's silly but where is the security from the outside of those doors to the inside?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2014, 2:11 pm

^^^^^
Like the Twin Stadium out on there plaza.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 8th, 2014, 2:24 pm

They were sourcing Winona Travertine and MN Dolomite (a la twins stadium/wells fargo tower (Kasota Stone was a brand name that no longer exists... and didn't supply either the twins stadium or the wells fargo tower...))
Thanks for a more professional explanation. I think the warm stone accent will look beautiful and complement the grayish paneling.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 8th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Not to mention what would stop someone from tossing in a grenade? I know it's silly but where is the security from the outside of those doors to the inside?
You mean like every open air stadium, park, street, or indeed public space on the planet?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2014, 7:45 pm

You mean like every open air stadium, park, street, or indeed public space on the planet?
Only here in Minnesota, where the stuff comes from. Georgia is marble and Indiana is their limestone! Part of the geography that you are in. We also have the Pipestone sandstone. A few U of M building are built of it. Plus the St. Cloud granite. We have plenty of architectural; stone here in the state.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 8th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Well despite being flip with a reply in return, most stadiums do not have access like this stadium will with those big doors/windows. Also I wasn't talking about parks and streets or anything else for that matter. I suppose you never thought anyone would fly a jet airliner into a building too.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 8th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Meh, i don't think terrorist attacks should be a primary design consideration for public spaces and would rather accept a little risk for the sake of better daily life. So my point was that i don't think anybody is designing a stadium with the intent of preventing somebody from throwing a grenade. At the point that's a realistic worry, we probably won't be building much public infrastructure.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 9th, 2014, 9:54 am

There will surely be a perimeter around the stadium on event days.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 9th, 2014, 11:39 am

That is one terrible-looking ballfield. Way too much foul territory on the right, an unsightly wall line from left to center, right field looks more distant than center (look where the right fielder is playing; sure to be lots of inside-the-parkers there!) and there's a strange grey no-man's land in straight-up center. I guess balls will roll to be home runs in that area since there's no wall..

And boy, the Gophers can sure pack 'em in! Makes one wonder why their new ballpark was so dificult to finance.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 9th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I have a feeling some of you can't barely get dressed even after having seen the outfit on a mannequin (based on how you react to renderings, and then like it as the building finishes out), and also haven't seen a lot of other stadiums in other cities... this is far better than most.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 9th, 2014, 12:12 pm

speaking of terrorist attacks and stadiums/ballparks...

...I feel that some are getting caught up on an imagined detail. For example, the renderings, we were shown of target field, had no barrier between the plaza and seating. It appeared you could walk right up to where people were sitting without buying a ticket. Of course that's not how it is. There are barriers, ticket gates, etc. in place. I'm sure that's how things will be at the main gate of the new stadium.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 9th, 2014, 8:21 pm

And a big WTF to the hockey and basketball setups. No matter where you sit, you're cut off from the rest of the crowd, ruining the atmosphere of attending a live event.

This place is example #1 of why multipupose stadiums don't work.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 9th, 2014, 9:05 pm

speaking of terrorist attacks and stadiums/ballparks...

...I feel that some are getting caught up on an imagined detail. For example, the renderings, we were shown of target field, had no barrier between the plaza and seating. It appeared you could walk right up to where people were sitting without buying a ticket. Of course that's not how it is. There are barriers, ticket gates, etc. in place. I'm sure that's how things will be at the main gate of the new stadium.
I didn't realize those big swinging doors was the main gate. My bad. I guess I will just hope that someone else takes safety seriously. Someone that matters that is.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 9th, 2014, 9:49 pm

This place is example #1 of why multipupose stadiums don't work.
In 2010, 420 amateur ballgames took place at the Metrodome. A similar number will likely be played annually at the new stadium. Granted, the dimensions don’t “work” like those at a baseball-specific facility, but it'll still be an absolute workhorse in February and March when local teams have no other alternatives.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 9th, 2014, 11:05 pm

David you still seem very upset over this stadium..

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 10th, 2014, 7:48 am

^^^ I don't really care one way or the other except I have to pay for this thing. But I would at least like something beautiful and useful for my money. You would think after the experience with, for example, baseball at the Metrodome, we could do better the next time 'round. This is actually a *worse* baseball venue, which I did not think remotely possible.