Soo Line Building Apartments - (501 Marquette Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
dumberGuy

Soo Line Building Apartments - (501 Marquette Avenue)

Postby dumberGuy » June 15th, 2012, 7:16 pm

why haven't I heard anything substantive about this development? This strikes me as the classiest proposed development in the downtown area

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Soo Line Building

Postby Nick » June 15th, 2012, 11:35 pm

It's happening. There are signs for it in the skyway. Light construction has been happening for a couple months now, they've been moving Canadian Pacific over to One Financial Plaza--which is to be renamed One Canadian Plaza or something, which is adorable.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 16th, 2012, 8:23 am

*News Story about the building switches*

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... lding.html

*Star Tribune*

http://www.startribune.com/business/131190503.html

Our first actually corner where two buildings of downtown residents will be able to live in the mix of downtown! Soon more residents of downtown will be wondering the the skyways and sidewalks of downtown among all the business workers. Very exciting project I hope they do have plenty of studio apartment and some 2 bedrooms if not 3! Minneapolis is starting to become a "real" downtown by having a downtown living options.

Which was one of my disappointments with Minneapolis when I moved here from the suburbs. My roommate had a small dog so finding an apartment downtown in the mix of everything at an affordable rate was impossible! Having to settle for Loring Park a stones throw away was ok, but not my first choice. I always wanted a "New York Style" apartment in the heart of Downtown Minneapolis and soon others will be able to get one! Very exciting times for Minneapolis indeed.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 12th, 2012, 11:55 am

I walked through this building via skyway and on the street today while on lunch and the street level doors are closed, and all but the burger joint on the skyway are closed. There was a notice on the windows of the street level about the future plans and a city council meeting about the proposed project.

Did a little digging on the Minneapolis website and found these:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 094461.pdf
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 085244.pdf

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 12th, 2012, 12:20 pm

My hope is they'd bring the original bank lobby back to it's original grandeur:

http://www.lileks.com/mpls/firstnatold/5.html

But who knows.

For those that want more history on the building (the rest of the minneapolis section of his site is pretty awesome and time consuming as well):
http://www.lileks.com/mpls/firstnatold/index.html

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 17th, 2012, 7:26 pm

oh if they have retail there OMG just think if they had a subway :O I would be in heaven! ...maybe a DQ too! :lol: I do like the picture you posted of the old lobby however I hope they add plenty of retail into the design.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 18th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Say what?

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 10th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Noticed scaffolding instal is starting along the Marquette side of the building today

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: Soo Line Building Apartments - (501 Marquette Avenue)

Postby dmdhashw » August 20th, 2012, 4:05 pm

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 21st, 2012, 6:23 pm

I don't think it deserves its own thread, but might be interesting to know that One Financial Plaza (the new home of Canadian Pacific after moving out of the Soo Line building) is now Canadian Pacific Plaza.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... lding.html

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 22nd, 2012, 7:50 am

Great pics and a fantastic project. I love the street level glass shown in this rendering. It looks like they are paying attention to how it integrates with the sidewalk traffic.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 22nd, 2012, 8:10 am

If rents were affordable there I'd totally consider living there (and hauling my wife and kid with me)! The problem would be twofold: where does my daughter go to school, and where is the nearest park/playground? Those would be the same type of questions any potential families may have when deciding whether to move downtown, so the city ought to perk up and respond.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 22nd, 2012, 8:30 am

Well, you'd be smack dab in the middle of the central business district so, even for downtown, it's probably one of the least kid friendly locations. To answer your questions, it's about a mile away from playgrounds on W River Parkway and Elliot park, as well as Gold Medal and Loring Parks. If your daughter is in elementary school, she'd go to Kenwood, which is only 3 miles away. I'm not sure the details about it, but the FAIR school downtown might also be an option, and would be blocks away.
Towns!

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » August 22nd, 2012, 10:36 pm

"If rents were affordable there I'd totally consider living there (and hauling my wife and kid with me)! The problem would be twofold: where does my daughter go to school, and where is the nearest park/playground? Those would be the same type of questions any potential families may have when deciding whether to move downtown, so the city ought to perk up and respond."

don't forget the Emerson school (Spanish immersion) near Loring Park. [Aside: if 1368 were to go up (foreshadowing: it's not), you could go there and your kid could easily get educated at Emerson and frolic at nearby Loring Park.]

frankly, I'd be worried about young lungs sucking in whatever asbestos or lead is rattling around 501 Marquette and will be stirred anew by this development. Access to parks is a fine thing, but finer still is having an organ-friendly environment

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 23rd, 2012, 7:23 am

"If rents were affordable there I'd totally consider living there (and hauling my wife and kid with me)! The problem would be twofold: where does my daughter go to school, and where is the nearest park/playground? Those would be the same type of questions any potential families may have when deciding whether to move downtown, so the city ought to perk up and respond."

don't forget the Emerson school (Spanish immersion) near Loring Park. [Aside: if 1368 were to go up (foreshadowing: it's not), you could go there and your kid could easily get educated at Emerson and frolic at nearby Loring Park.]

frankly, I'd be worried about young lungs sucking in whatever asbestos or lead is rattling around 501 Marquette and will be stirred anew by this development. Access to parks is a fine thing, but finer still is having an organ-friendly environment
You don't think 1368 will go up, even though just about every single other project proposed in the last year hasn't failed yet (except ArtSpace)?

I'm not worried about asbestos lingering in the air when they have technitians to measure that and codes that forbid any unacceptable level of toxins like asbestos to be a hazard to humans.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 25th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I don't think it deserves its own thread, but might be interesting to know that One Financial Plaza (the new home of Canadian Pacific after moving out of the Soo Line building) is now Canadian Pacific Plaza.

Why, that's downright un-American! ;) I had thought that they were going to call it CP Plaza, which I was thinking was to "hide" that it is a foreign-owned company. Guess not! I like the sound of Canadian Pacific Plaza better than CP Plaza, anyway.
My flickr photos.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 25th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Canada's not really a foreign country - at least to us Minnesotans - is it? :D

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 25th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I personally wish we had more of a connection with Canada here. A Tim Horton's would be a good start!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 25th, 2012, 10:44 pm

I personally wish we had more of a connection with Canada here. A Tim Horton's would be a good start!
Holy over-rated!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm

The skyway level has been closed for a couple weeks, adding a few minutes to my walk home.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]