Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Major League Soccer in Minnesota

Postby mattaudio » January 8th, 2014, 10:23 am

I totally agree that the public gets a better ROI from it’s Target Field investment. My point relates only to the debate about the relative magnanimity of local sports owners. Zygi obviously has his flaws, but he’s still paying for 51% of a facility which belongs to the public over 90% of the time.
I don't even know where to start with the numerous flaws here. The fact that it's mostly not his money? The fact that his team already appraised for $200m more? The fact that the public has absolutely no need for 90% of a new palace to justify a 49% "investment"? The fact that even if we did have a way to extract 90% of the utility out of the palace (or even 49%) we still can't afford it?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » January 8th, 2014, 10:27 am

Again, my point ONLY relates to the debate about the relative magnanimity of local sports owners. Your questions relate to the merits of public investment in stadiums in general.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 11th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Strib now jumps on the bandwagon. Nothing new here, but this article is further evidence that there are real discussions going on.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 77061.html

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » February 21st, 2014, 2:14 pm

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber says Atlanta, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Diego and Texas sites are under consideration as expansion cites.

Atlanta, Minneapolis in MLS mix
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/ ... :FOXSoccer

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 21st, 2014, 2:42 pm

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber says Atlanta, Minneapolis, Sacramento, San Diego and Texas sites are under consideration as expansion cites.

Atlanta, Minneapolis in MLS mix
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/ ... :FOXSoccer
Exciting to read that! What do you think? Are they actually going to use "Minneapolis" in place of the usual "Minnesota" in front of the team's nickname?

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » February 21st, 2014, 2:53 pm

Exciting to read that! What do you think? Are they actually going to use "Minneapolis" in place of the usual "Minnesota" in front of the team's nickname?
I'd love to see Minneapolis in front or even Twin Cities or Minneapolis - St. Paul being soccer is much more popular in the Twin Cities area than it is statewide, but I don't see that happening. It would be huge for the city and even the metro in terms of name recognition.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » February 21st, 2014, 2:59 pm

This is interesting:

SOCCER NEWS: GAME COMING TO TCF, EXPANSION IN MINNESOTA?

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The University of Minnesota will host a Guinness International Champions Cup soccer game between Manchester City and Olympiacos on Aug. 2.

The match will be played at TCF Bank Stadium, home of the Gophers football team...

The Minneapolis game will be broadcast internationally on Fox Sports 2. Kickoff is 2 p.m. CDT.

I'm in - anyone else???

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 21st, 2014, 5:30 pm

This is interesting:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The University of Minnesota will host a Guinness International Champions Cup soccer game between Manchester City and Olympiacos on Aug. 2.

The match will be played at TCF Bank Stadium, home of the Gophers football team...

The Minneapolis game will be broadcast internationally on Fox Sports 2. Kickoff is 2 p.m. CDT.

I'm in - anyone else???
This is awesome... maybe one of the first large scale type (international) events where the Green Line gets tested out moving people from their DT hotels to games at the Bank! :D

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 21st, 2014, 10:47 pm

This is interesting:

I'm in - anyone else???

I'd be interested in being a hooligan for that, let's see how this evolves; hopefully, it comes to fruition.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 22nd, 2014, 11:23 pm

I'll work pretty hard to get tickets for this if they aren't ungodly expensive. It would be fun to see Man City play!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 4th, 2014, 2:55 pm

"Minneapolis is on the short list" for expansion," MLS commissioner Dom Garber said on a call with reporters today.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » March 4th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 10th, 2014, 7:35 am

Apparently the MLS has no qualms about locating new franchises in NFL stadiums with artificial turf. It’s looking better and better for Minneapolis.

http://soccer.si.com/2014/04/09/mls-exp ... ent-miami/

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 10th, 2014, 9:52 am

Big difference between a stadium that basically has an open roof similar to many European soccer stadiums, and one that just has some big doors open up at one end.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 10th, 2014, 11:18 am

Yeah but in steamy Atlanta they’ll likely play most games with the retractable roof closed and the AC blasting. So it’s essentially a dome.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » April 11th, 2014, 8:57 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -data.html

Jersey sponsor announcement in case you haven't heard as yet.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 11th, 2014, 11:06 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -data.html

Jersey sponsor announcement in case you haven't heard as yet.
What'd they pay? $750?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 12th, 2014, 11:41 am

Based on nothing but a hunch, and maybe some bias, I really think the McGuire ownership is more likely to bring MLS to Minneapolis than the Wilfs. So much has been invested into Minnesota United already.

I'm really hopeful for an intimate soccer stadium in the warehouse district, but if not, it seems more likely that the McGuires and Wilfs would work together on a team for the new Vikings stadium rather than have the Wilfa start from scratch.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 12th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Based on nothing but a hunch, and maybe some bias, I really think the McGuire ownership is more likely to bring MLS to Minneapolis than the Wilfs. So much has been invested into Minnesota United already.

I'm really hopeful for an intimate soccer stadium in the warehouse district, but if not, it seems more likely that the McGuires and Wilfs would work together on a team for the new Vikings stadium rather than have the Wilfa start from scratch.
Agree on all counts. The farmers market site seems promising.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 12th, 2014, 4:53 pm

It will be interesting to see how the area does this summer with the Man City-Olympiakos friendly at TCF Bank Stadium. It's the first big-time friendly we'll have had, but neither team really has a huge following in the U.S.

Does anyone know if they are bringing in grass for that game?