Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby John » February 22nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

I think it's also only a matter of time before we hear about a new concept at The Armory across the park
This should really be turned into the Minneapolis version of Seattle's Pike's Place , Manhattan's Chelsea Market, or West Side Market in Cleveland. We'll have to see if there is any developer bold enough to propose something that positive or transforming for our community.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2014, 3:50 pm

The vast vast vast majority if NYC and Chicago high rises are either residential or office or hotel, but not mixed-use. Some of the tallest structures are mixed-use, especially the newer ones like Chicagos Trump Tower and Freedom Tower in NYC, but not the hundreds and thousands along Lake Michigan and Manhattan.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2014, 3:52 pm

I think it's also only a matter of time before we hear about a new concept at The Armory across the park
This should really be turned into the Minneapolis version of Seattle's Pike's Place , Manhattan's Chelsea Market, or West Side Market in Cleveland. We'll have to see if there is any developer bold enough to propose something that positive or transforming for our community.
West Side Market for sure, but I hate the idea of copying other models and would prefer to have our own thing (ideally something that wouldn't compete with the Midtown Global Market, too).

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 22nd, 2014, 4:11 pm

West Side Market for sure, but I hate the idea of copying other models and would prefer to have our own thing (ideally something that wouldn't compete with the Midtown Global Market, too).

The talk of mixed use buildings is somewhat relevant. However we already have a MPLS armory thread. I really do enjoy reading everybody's ideas about parks, the armory, and so on. When we already have a thread for said subjects it would really keep the forum better organized if we continue to to try and keep each topic to it's own thread. Thank you

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=92&start=20

City slicker

Postby City slicker » February 22nd, 2014, 9:50 pm

I'm predicting on top of this ramp, 12 stories hotel, additional 12 for condos, another 12 mixed office for a total of 36 floors on top of the ramp. Then, like always, it's reduced to a mere 16 story complex on top of the ramp.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 22nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

I mean, we know the basic details of the two options, and neither of them involves office.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 23rd, 2014, 9:41 am

I'm predicting on top of this ramp, 12 stories hotel, additional 12 for condos, another 12 mixed office for a total of 36 floors on top of the ramp. Then, like always, it's reduced to a mere 16 story complex on top of the ramp.
:?:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 23rd, 2014, 10:12 am

The talk of mixed use buildings is somewhat relevant. However we already have a MPLS armory thread. I really do enjoy reading everybody's ideas about parks, the armory, and so on. When we already have a thread for said subjects it would really keep the forum better organized if we continue to to try and keep each topic to it's own thread. Thank you

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=92&start=20
So if we're talking about this project and how it may or may not impact surrounding parcels, are we supposed to put that in the appropriate thread, completely out of context? I understand your point if a full-blown tangent was developing (e.g. a debate about the best use of the Armory) but not a comment or two.

Point taken, either way.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 23rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

Once the talk of mixed use buildings turned over to the armory I may or may not have nipped it in the bud to soon. I felt that just a couple posts would turn into a page of armory posts. I got that impression from other topics in the Minneapolis thread like the Opus thread talking about park space when none has been proposed on that block. I am not sure how well this idea may or may not work but if a tangent is coming about a topic that already has a thread perhaps maybe linking your reply into said thread might keep the topics better organized? It makes for a better overall forum when somebody new or a visitor clicks on a topic and what they read is about said topic. I am very sorry I do not want to be some sort of thread cop.

Something now related to the parking ramp I hope they somehow incorporate the Vikings purple and gold into ramp. Such as flood lights with a screen or fancy LED's.

JackGrayson
City Center

Postby JackGrayson » February 23rd, 2014, 6:54 pm

Something now related to the parking ramp I hope they somehow incorporate the Vikings purple and gold into ramp. Such as flood lights with a screen or fancy LED's.

Agree to disagree on that one. It would probably end up looking pretty gaudy/tacky IMO. Not to mention, If the Radisson Red deal materialized I would imagine the red floodlighting I have seen in most renderings would have a major contrast to purple and gold. Overall though, I hope the ramp is extremely subtle. I think the Carlyle did a good job with their parking ramp, you would just think it was a part of the building if you didn't know any better. I would like to see it be something like that. But fitting with the style of the building, of course.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 23rd, 2014, 8:00 pm

If you read the proposal closely they are teaming with Magellan that is building the LaSalle apt. tower in Loring Park. This could be great.
I'm not sure where you saw this, as I couldn't find it in the Business Journal article, but if true, this would all but guarantee a relatively attractive and friendly building, considering the limitations of the city's ramp.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » February 23rd, 2014, 8:17 pm

If you read the proposal closely they are teaming with Magellan that is building the LaSalle apt. tower in Loring Park. This could be great.
I'm not sure where you saw this, as I couldn't find it in the Business Journal article, but if true, this would all but guarantee a relatively attractive and friendly building, considering the limitations of the city's ramp.
I am not sure what article it was in, it could have been in the Star/Tribune but I know when I did read it I had to read it twice. It sounded like it was a new partnership with the Radisson Red.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 23rd, 2014, 8:30 pm

It's in the Strib article.
The company is expected to partner with Chicago-based Magellan Development Group and Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, parent of the Radisson Red brand.
I've gotta think that, between it being a first example, or possibly flagship, of a new aimed-at-millenials hotel brand, and being developed in partnership with Magellan, this is going to be an attractive building. I'm excited.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

Hopefully far removed from the Wells Fargo buildings which I find hideous X 2.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 23rd, 2014, 9:34 pm

John, Along Michigan Ave in Chicago I can count over 6 mixed use towers alone that have been built in the last 15 years. I'm less knowledgeable of NYC, but I'm sure there are a lot of mixed use there, around downtown, Columbus Circle, and I'm sure along Central Park there are mixed use buildings. I think Mixed use is good IF properly designed. NOT A CENTER VILLAGE!!

I'm glad to see Radisson looking to MPLS again as a place to start working on their concept hotels again. Best to see these close to home. Also I'm glad to be the number of apartment units decreasing to help prevent a short term glut due to timing of when these will open with what else is opening at the same time. Now if we can just get development in between 4th and Washington that will really make for a neighborhood feel I think that area will really take off.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 24th, 2014, 10:09 am

John, Along Michigan Ave in Chicago I can count over 6 mixed use towers alone that have been built in the last 15 years. I'm less knowledgeable of NYC, but I'm sure there are a lot of mixed use there, around downtown, Columbus Circle, and I'm sure along Central Park there are mixed use buildings. I think Mixed use is good IF properly designed. NOT A CENTER VILLAGE!!

I'm glad to see Radisson looking to MPLS again as a place to start working on their concept hotels again. Best to see these close to home. Also I'm glad to be the number of apartment units decreasing to help prevent a short term glut due to timing of when these will open with what else is opening at the same time. Now if we can just get development in between 4th and Washington that will really make for a neighborhood feel I think that area will really take off.
Maybe you're responding to me, who said that the vast majority of towers in both of those cities are single-use buildings, and that's still true. Yes, in high profile locations like State Street and Michigan Avenue in Chicago, 5th Avenue and 42nd Street in New York, are going to have a larger percentage of mixed-use buildings than the rest of the city. I was speaking at a very high level I guess.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 28th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » February 28th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Curb-feelers on this one are that your original inclination that there is something new is correct, in that it seems like things are heating up between the prospective, competing hotel groups, to up the ante on these "new" hotel/mix concepts for each. There is a lot at stake for the one who does not get this, but then again they get more time to play off of this. March 28th huh? Thank you for the link!

City slicker

Postby City slicker » February 28th, 2014, 11:36 pm

I honestly get the feeling this proposal is going to be big. Something in the 500 foot plus range. Does anyone else feel that way?

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » February 28th, 2014, 11:41 pm

No. At 27 stories? I do not get that feeling.