U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby mister.shoes » February 27th, 2014, 4:32 pm

It seems the parking ramp between 3rd and 4th immediately next to the stadium has gone away. Instead, we get an extra-long skyway into the parking ramp with the apartments/hotel/whatever on top of it. That's a little bizarre, but it means all is not lost for that smaller-than-normal block.

I'd still loooooooooove to see 4th and the LRT flip-flopped with an additional overflow LRT platform added right next to the stadium. Unfortunately, that'll never happen, mainly because it'd likely require serious reconfiguring to the east.

Anyway, that's a super cool model. I'd love to get a closer look at it, but there's no way the Vikings are getting season ticket money from me, so it'll be quite a while before I'm allowed into the preview center. Meh.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 27th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Ah yes, here's the image that I saw with a more direct look at that long skyway.

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 27th, 2014, 4:47 pm

I have to wonder if the glass will *really* be that clear. Really?!?

Is there another stadium that uses the same material for reference?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 27th, 2014, 5:28 pm

This one in Dunedin, New Zealand is a good example:

http://populous.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 90x465.jpg

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 27th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Elegant parking lots? Massive empty plaza? Metrodome 2.0 :)

Looks like an expensive model though, at least $20k.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 28th, 2014, 7:08 am

i see a beautiful, modernist building to be surrounded by hundreds of millions of dollars of new development and two blocks of park space. but keep tryin.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 28th, 2014, 8:30 am

I don't like the long skyway but won't that be mitigated by either the new Air Rights Parking Ramp project or Zigi's plot just to the East/Southeast of that block and adjacent to the stadium?

On another note: It looks as though it's only a short matter of time before HCMC gets connected to these projects, and therefore, the CBD. That will become even more important once HCMC starts seriously discussing their future expansion efforts around these parts, which I was led to believe (by an insider) that would be both fairly imminent and also fairly substantial (i.e. expect lots of shiny new buildings).

This whole area (DTE) is going to look night and day different between now and 5 (especially 10) years from now!! They could make a book about it, similar to "Twin Cities: Then & Now", and it'd have a similar affect (especially if they did the "Then" portion in black & white)!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 28th, 2014, 9:10 am

I don't like the long skyway but won't that be mitigated by either the new Air Rights Parking Ramp project or Zigi's plot just to the East/Southeast of that block and adjacent to the stadium?
The long skyway goes to the air rights development.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » February 28th, 2014, 11:03 am

Keep an eye on Zygi’s plots. He’s a developer. What are the odds he just lets that land sit empty? I’m guessing the long skyway will ultimately be redirected through an additional Zygi building just north of the stadium.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 28th, 2014, 11:17 am

Wouldn't that be great if he built a strip mall there?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2014, 11:22 am

With drive throughs?

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » March 1st, 2014, 12:42 am

This one in Dunedin, New Zealand is a good example:

http://populous.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 90x465.jpg
I'm blanking on the name of the material, but when they first announced the roofing material, I googled it right away and was quite impressed with the photos of its versatility and how it has been applied to large facilities around the world.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » March 1st, 2014, 1:17 am

This whole area (DTE) is going to look night and day different between now and 5 (especially 10) years from now!! They could make a book about it, similar to "Twin Cities: Then & Now", and it'd have a similar affect (especially if they did the "Then" portion in black & white)!
I've actually been thinking about making this one of my longterm documentary photography project. I'd focus on the tensions between urbanism and historic structures (my two at odds fascinations). Would you guys support a Kickstarter for such a project?

You can find my work at http://alleycat.mn
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 1st, 2014, 8:43 am

I can't recall but does the roof, both the clear and the solid parts have some built in heating elements to help with snow build ups?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 1st, 2014, 10:52 am

I can't recall but does the roof, both the clear and the solid parts have some built in heating elements to help with snow build ups?
if I recall recall correctly from the presentation, they're banking on rising heat and Sun to do that.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2014, 10:54 am

With the number of $50/year .mn domains us Minnesotans buy, we could otherwise have enough money to develop real estate or build an aBRT line or something.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » March 1st, 2014, 11:11 am

The wrecking ball in mid-swing at the Metrodome

Metrodome demolition 3-1-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » March 1st, 2014, 11:28 am

With crazy people driving rental trucks loaded with fertilizer, I wonder what that "open" plaza is really going to look like. Hopefully the security bollards will be well designed.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2014, 11:30 am

The wrecking ball in mid-swing at the Metrodome
No Miley Cyrus on it. #safefornow

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » March 1st, 2014, 1:22 pm

With the number of $50/year .mn domains us Minnesotans buy, we could otherwise have enough money to develop real estate or build an aBRT line or something.
Yeah, because $50 is a large expense for a business. :roll: Sorry to take this way off topic. Matt made me. I'm actually transitioning to http://alleycat.photography, which means I'm paying a whopping $30/year to have the domain that is short and to the point.

Anyways. I need to get down there today. Didn't realize the demo was so far along.

That really expensive model looks great. I'm hoping it looks that good in reality. I'm still stinging from the loss of the Strib building, but the stadium and the development around it will finally bring an end to the nickname I gave downtown shortly after moving here: parking lot city.

Edit: Totally misread Matt's tone in that post. Never mind that I spend too much for my domain names.
Last edited by alleycat on March 2nd, 2014, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]