Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 9th, 2014, 11:32 am

That is bad ass! I love the green avenues, and now am wondering why that isn't not only being discussed as a viable Nicollet Avenue option, but why it's not a front-runner as well! I also like the link from Loring Park to downtown (Green link), and the massive park where there is now lots of abandonment and light industrial and government services buildings just West of I-394 -- that idea is a winner, at least in some format including parks and redevelopment!

Aside from having no Vikings stadium, I also noticed that the "Yard" (or whatever it'll eventually be called) also isn't a part of your fantasy. Way to think WAY outside the box!

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » February 9th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Does anyone know of a top-down view like the one below only with the latest design?

http://www.minnpost.com/sites/default/f ... lan640.jpg
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 9th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Does anyone know of a top-down view like the one below only with the latest design?

http://www.minnpost.com/sites/default/f ... lan640.jpg

Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Postby Visualizer » February 9th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Thanks, m b p! You rock.
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 9th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Isn't there supposed to be an apartment building fronting 5th Ave where the pond is in that drawing?

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 10th, 2014, 3:51 am

Isn't there supposed to be an apartment building fronting 5th Ave where the pond is in that drawing?
no, you've been imagining that building all along.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 10th, 2014, 11:03 am

Indeed there was talk about developing that half of the block to screen the jail. I think Ryan had a concept. Not sure what happened to it.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 10th, 2014, 11:47 am

Wasn't the 5th Ave apt building approved as part of the entire Downtown East project application on Nov 12?

Visualizer, as long as you're replacing the Farmer's Market with Como Park, do you want to put Pike's Place Market on the Ramada block?
"Who rescued whom!"

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 10th, 2014, 11:52 am

It's an older site plan. It doesn't show Park and Portland through the park, and it shows housing along 3rd St. that will be built as a later phase.
My flickr photos.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » February 10th, 2014, 2:12 pm

yes... I was tired and snakry. That image is an initial rendering. It gives a good idea of how the stadium will fit into the area. However it is not complete. There will be a residential building on the opposite end of the park. The residential units on the 'non-park' side of the WF towers will be built at a later time... However, not too much later. Their wish is to have the residential units, on the backside of the towers, completed before people start working in the towers.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » February 28th, 2014, 11:03 am

From finanace & Commerce (Locked article) http://finance-commerce.com/2014/02/mag ... town-east/

Magellan Development and Ryan Cos. US Inc. are in talks about working together on a 27-story hotel and apartment tower near the new Minnesota Vikings stadium.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 28th, 2014, 11:31 am

There was a locked TC Business Journal column the other day suggesting that the Vikings stadium is not driving the development boom in DTE. Did anybody else read that? I am curious to know the thinking behind that.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 28th, 2014, 11:42 am

From finanace & Commerce (Locked article) http://finance-commerce.com/2014/02/mag ... town-east/

Magellan Development and Ryan Cos. US Inc. are in talks about working together on a 27-story hotel and apartment tower near the new Minnesota Vikings stadium.
Isn't this already being discussed in the "Air Rights" thread? It's not a NEW project in addition to that, right?

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=120
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on February 28th, 2014, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 28th, 2014, 11:42 am

There was a locked TC Business Journal column the other day suggesting that the Vikings stadium is not driving the development boom in DTE. Did anybody else read that? I am curious to know the thinking behind that.
Cheap land is an obvious factor. The city has also relaxed development restrictions in DTE that were in place I believe before even the Metrodome was constructed.

I'd be much more surprised if someone in the know had said the stadium *was* driving the development.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 28th, 2014, 12:12 pm

RT Rybak explicitly said that the Stadium was driving the Ryan/WF development. Are you suggesting he wasn't "in the know"?
"Who rescued whom!"

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 28th, 2014, 2:22 pm

RT Rybak explicitly said that the Stadium was driving the Ryan/WF development. Are you suggesting he wasn't "in the know"?
It's kind of hard to take his word on that.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 28th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Was there some significant factor other than the stadium that changed in DTE in the last year or two? It's hard to believe the Wells Fargo concept was a coincidence.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2014, 2:34 pm

The stadium drove the development.... from Bassett Creek all the way to Downtown East.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 28th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Was there some significant factor other than the stadium that changed in DTE in the last year or two? It's hard to believe the Wells Fargo concept was a coincidence.
As I stated above, the city relaxed development restrictions. I don't know exactly when that happened.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 28th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Was today the day that the city picks a developer for the air rights above the parking ramp?