Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby John » February 28th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Has anybody seen a rendering of the ramp and how many floors?

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 1st, 2014, 12:01 am

I thought the ramp was 7. I'm probably wrong though. And the 27 stories in the article is far from official.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » March 1st, 2014, 1:27 am

I thought the ramp was 7. I'm probably wrong though. And the 27 stories in the article is far from official.
Good points.

Slight tangent- one thing that bothers me a little about this proposal is it seems to me that when Ryan was facing competition from Mortenson (and other potential developers), they stepped up with a good proposal for what will hopefully be a nice tower. But on the west end of the new park, they are planning a dinky 6 story stick rental building- on a site they already have the option on. Even though this is a signature tower site of the new park with amazing views down the park toward the new stadium and U of M to the east, and excellent skyline views of city hall, Capella Tower, etc to the west once you get HIGHER than 6 stories so you can see over the jail.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » March 1st, 2014, 5:56 am

I assume it has something to do with the view from the stadium. Keeping a building low in that area will solidify a great view of the city for vikings fans. Anything much higher would probably block quite a bit, making the big open doors that will face the skyline less valuable.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 1st, 2014, 8:40 am

One tall building 2 blocks from the stadium will not block the stadium's view.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 1st, 2014, 9:56 am

"I can't see the buildings because there's a building in the way of the buildings!"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 1st, 2014, 10:58 am

I believe the building they are trying not to block, from the park and the stadium is the city hall and it's clock tower... which is something the city and developers have a tradition of doing in our city, and I like that.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 1st, 2014, 11:02 am

Good points.

Slight tangent- one thing that bothers me a little about this proposal is it seems to me that when Ryan was facing competition from Mortenson (and other potential developers), they stepped up with a good proposal for what will hopefully be a nice tower. But on the west end of the new park, they are planning a dinky 6 story stick rental building- on a site they already have the option on. Even though this is a signature tower site of the new park with amazing views down the park toward the new stadium and U of M to the east, and excellent skyline views of city hall, Capella Tower, etc to the west once you get HIGHER than 6 stories so you can see over the jail.
do realize though that the competition didn't actually change the size or shape or quality of Ryan's tower necessarily... it just changed some apartment units into hotel rooms. it's probably going to be nearly the same as the original.

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » March 1st, 2014, 11:27 am

I like the lower building at the end of the park to preserve views but more importantly as a security/ surveillance mechanism for the park. It provides eyes on the park and a sense of ownership for the area close to the apartment building. A high rise would not do the same because once people get a certain height off the ground they lose the connection and sense of ownership. Even people living on the first few floors in a high rise don't feel the same connection to the ground as people living on the first few floors of a low rise.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 1st, 2014, 11:54 am

I believe the building they are trying not to block, from the park and the stadium is the city hall and it's clock tower... which is something the city and developers have a tradition of doing in our city, and I like that.
I understand where you are coming from. I don't think there is any actual rule that is written, for example the new Fed Courthouse across 4th St totally blocks it, however Henn Co Govt Ctr was specifically designed to have the glass partition mimic the clock tower. Pillsbury Ctr (or whatever it's called now) does more or less the same thing. Even Philadelphia did not have such a law, it was a "gentlemen's agreement" that prevented taller buildings then their City Hall/William Penn statue. Again being 2 blocks away should further encourage a higher building. They could actually build two connecting buildings that allow the clock tower to be seen between the two buildings. In fact build it to look like a goal post.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 1st, 2014, 12:05 pm

Except when the Feds obliterated the view from NE with the courts building.

(EDIT* Already noted)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 1st, 2014, 5:43 pm

Well whatever the floor count is in addition to the ramp, I hope it's sticks out some from the wells towers and stadium. If I'm somewhat correct, the stadium and WF towers are approx the same height. If this proposal is in that range of height as well, I think it will have a wall effect look.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 1st, 2014, 8:40 pm

27 floors residential is exactly the same as 18 floors office in height, if you take into consideration that the avg office building has 15 feet between floors and residential usually has about 10 feet between floors. Both projects should be around 270 feet tall.

I never thought about that before, but now that you mention it.... Yeah, wtf?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » March 2nd, 2014, 10:39 am

Haha pardon my little boy mindset, but min-chi-cbus, instead of wtf, don't you mean wft (wells fargo towers)? ;) Just a dumb corny joke that I hope warms up everyone's Sunday :)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 4th, 2014, 9:59 am

Does this mean we'll see a rendering by this Thursday?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... party.html

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 4th, 2014, 10:13 am

"Magellan was brought onto the team because of its experience building high rise urban apartment buildings, including the new tower in Loring Park that opens in August. Magellan has had more than 700 potential renters ask for information on the 353-unit apartment project through its website and a sales kiosk set up at the IDS Crystal Court, Gordon said. It's been a good response, he said. "That's crazy." "

I certainly hope this means we'll be seeing MUCH more of Magellan in the very near future!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 4th, 2014, 10:22 am

That is some seriously good news, and I would hope that that means they'll be looking into building something on their own in Minneapolis once LPM is done, in addition to working with Ryan on this.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 4th, 2014, 11:04 pm

With such a high demand and apartment interest, and an obvious need for hotel rooms here, why not build something big? Like 400-500 hotel rooms and 400-500 apts? I think it's evident by now that the market is prime for a big project. I think the demand is there.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 4th, 2014, 11:23 pm

Gun shy. It seems developers here are afraid to over build just in case the market drops out on apartments like the condos did 6 years ago.

web

Postby web » March 4th, 2014, 11:25 pm

or not enough subsidy....most developers want to build with someone elses money!