Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nickmgray
Union Depot

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby nickmgray » March 11th, 2014, 12:49 pm

I would imagine WF would also want to use some hotel rooms for business travelers to their offices. I'm not sure how many rooms they'd need, but Ameriprise wanted to buy all of the Ivy hotel rooms for that purpose.
Did they want to buy the rooms, or the unsold condos? I cannot remember how that all went down.
They wanted to buy the hotel, but I believe they ended up just buying a few condos instead. The reason they wanted the hotel is because Ameriprise has 20-30 employees from out of town in on a daily basis that need to stay at a hotel. They also have multiple training conferences throughout the year where they bring in 50-100 employees for about a week. They could easily occupy half of the annual rooms of the IVY just with their employees.

Having worked at the Grand Hotel (a 150 room hotel) for years, we always has 10-20 guests per night in town for business with Wells Fargo. Multiply that number by the other 3-4 hotels within a two block radius of the Wells Fargo tower and you get a pretty large number. Wells Fargo could negotiate a really nice contract with this new hotel which would guarantee occupancy x number of rooms a year. While we'd like to think that the new stadium would be a key factor in the success of the hotel, it really isn't.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 11th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Very interesting and good points. And I agree. No developer would build a hotel due to events 15-20 times a year that could fill up the hotel.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 11th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I could be wrong about the exact number, but there are 350 hotel rooms in west gate in Glendale Az near the university of Phoenix stadium where the cardinals play. The coyotes play a block away in the same complex. The rest of west-gate is restaurants and small shops with a small park. The talk here is adding another hotel. Outside of west-gate, it residential, downtown Phoenix is 15+miles away. I can't imagine this east side of Minneapolis would be ok with the development going on here with 150 hotel rooms, when west-gate in Glendale needs more than the 350 they have now.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 11th, 2014, 7:53 pm

The two areas you mention have practically nothing in common. It was otherwise hard to understand your point exactly?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 11th, 2014, 8:16 pm

There are other empty blocks in downtown east. How do we know another hotel will not be built. If the stadium is going to be used year round for events it would make sense for there to be further development besides this project.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 11th, 2014, 10:29 pm

The two areas you mention have practically nothing in common. It was otherwise hard to understand your point exactly?
They both have professional football stadiums?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 12th, 2014, 12:31 am

Im not so sure about that. Most of the Vikings operations are still at Winter Park. I am sure players and personel will prefer to live in the Edina/EP area instead where they are 6 days a week versus the once every 2 weeks at the dome during the season. I think they will be a lot more successful gearing towards the Wells Fargo complex as well as the proximity to the light rail stop.
Yes, Agree WF will attract people to the hotel. Thanks for pointing that out.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 12th, 2014, 9:26 am

They both have professional football stadiums?
Actually, the Westgate also has a professional hockey stadium which also hosts major concerts and an fairly large outlet mall. You also have to consider that there are no other hotels for miles. There are at least 1,000 hotel rooms within a half mile radius of the new stadium.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » March 12th, 2014, 11:03 am

There are a lot more hotels very near westgate besides the Marriott and Hampton- I live in westgate. Anyway, I didn't realize there were that many hotel rooms on the east end of downtown- my bad.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 12th, 2014, 12:16 pm

There is the Hyatt Place, Minneapolis Hotel, the two Marriott at the Depot, Aloft, and the Marriott Courtyard. Then you go to the Crown Plaza, Grand hotel, Westin, and Marquette all on Marquette Ave. There is plenty of rooms that are now built, plus two more that are planned in the area also. For the area of town that is not in the central core, 150 will be nice and profitable.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 12th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Being within an easy train ride of the University will bring in some visitors as well. Someone in the Dinkytown hotel thread said that it was hard for their department to arrange conferences because on campus accommodations were pretty slim, and this area is going to be just a few minutes away from the heart of campus, via train.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 12th, 2014, 7:30 pm

I hadn't thought about this but it is somewhat related. If the grand old Metropolitan Building had not been torn down would it have survived the development going on? I believe it would have been right on or close to where all of this is going on.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 12th, 2014, 7:40 pm

If the Met were still around today in the condition it was in before they wrecked it, I'm sure it would be under every kind of historic protection available.

This is the exact corner it sat on, for those curious:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.979635,- ... ,,0,-23.19

What progress!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 12th, 2014, 8:45 pm

If the Met were still around today in the condition it was in before they wrecked it, I'm sure it would be under every kind of historic protection available.

What progress!
I know it is somewhat off topic but what a gorgeous building. So sad. This would have been a destination building in downtown east. The inside of the building with the glass floors and staircase was stunning.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » March 13th, 2014, 2:47 pm

So isn't something going down today between the city and Mortenson unveiling their plans for this site??

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 14th, 2014, 9:55 am

What progress!
I know it is somewhat off topic but what a gorgeous building. So sad. This would have been a destination building in downtown east. The inside of the building with the glass floors and staircase was stunning.
You have to take a look at this YouTube video. Nearly 30 minutes of footage from inside the building. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnqCNaTPN4

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2014, 11:23 am

City staff recommending Ryan offer. $5.65M for the air rights. Article has the rendering we've seen.
http://finance-commerce.com/2014/03/cit ... bove-ramp/

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 14th, 2014, 11:35 am

I want to know what the mysterious building is that's located across the light-rail station where the current medical examiner building is.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » March 14th, 2014, 11:45 am

I want to know what the mysterious building is that's located across the light-rail station where the current medical examiner building is.
Truth! Some sort of placeholder is in that spot for many (all?) of the renderings for WF's downtown east development too.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » March 14th, 2014, 11:51 am

My understanding is the Medical Examiner is very much against moving. I forget the exact details, but it's more than just a morgue there, it's also a command/control, staging, or something like that area for regional emergencies (like the 35W bridge collapse, or worse things that we'll hopefully never need to actually confront). Last I heard, Hennepin County wasn't sure what it planned to do regarding the facility and land in light of the stadium situation.