DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby Viktor Vaughn » March 19th, 2014, 10:23 pm

All the public had to do was kick private companies six hundred million dollars, build 'em a 1,600 space parking garage, develop a two block park to their specs, and build two light rail lines that come together at this location -- and wa-la -- we got a new neighborhood.

That may be a good deal for the public, but I doubt we're making that offer, or any of the same magnitude, to other developers or neighborhoods.

This is fun to see play out -- I'm enjoying it too. But imagine how the public could have primed the pump for development in downtown east with the amount of public money that went into the stadium. It seems like a better deal until you think about the opportunity cost.

I appreciated your excellent comment, Rich. I read Rybak's exit interview too. It's really amazing how he brought the stadium back downtown, leveraged the NFL mandated parking, worked with WF on a campus, probably negotiated with Ryan on the air rights, and even the Strib going to Capella, TCF, or wherever they land. It's a crazy freakin deal with parts that haven't even played out yet. Impressive in conception and (so far) execution. And it kinda makes sense too. This is why Rybak flipped positions on stadium subsidies, and how he convinced just enough skeptical CM's to support his plan.

I used to live in the neighborhood- it's great to see surface parking lots go. But that amount of public money could have gone a lot further, if put to a different use.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 19th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I've often thought it sad that the entire river first project could be completed for a quarter of the cost of the stadium, but, I'm extremely happy to do dte get a jump start regardless.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 19th, 2014, 10:42 pm

What if, rather than in Downtown East, the new stadium foundations were being poured in Arden Hills right now? The Ryan deal - conceived by Rybak - which leveraged the stadium ramp and the Strib land, wouldn’t have happened. Wells Fargo would likely be closing a deal on the sprawling suburban campus they originally coveted. The Strib building, which had drawn no interest after being on the market for several years, would remain unwanted. And the now lame duck Metrodome would live on for two more years before entering limbo. How anxious would developers be to invest in the area?

Clearly the stadium has made a difference. It eliminated uncertainty and greased the skids for further development. The ball is rolling now.
You've made quite a few leaps here.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 19th, 2014, 10:43 pm

- 30% Adjacent land-uses in Mill District upping the value of the area west of the Dome by making the walk to the river more enticing, adding retail, and other people 24/7
- 30% Market/demographic changes for residential and office workers demanding more urban lifestyles, which also includes...
- 20% ...multimodal transportation options, of which this site will be hosting our regions only 2 LRT lines (plus future improvements in Chicago Ave aBRT)
- 10% additional financing from the city in the form of parking, etc
- 10% a brand new, spiffy NFL venue that may now host a Superbowl and NCAA FF (of course, we'll need to subsidize those as well by abating the sales taxes on entertainment, maybe more).
I would rebalance this, starting with:

- 70% the city allowing development in DTE

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » March 20th, 2014, 6:04 am

this is all why RT was the best mayor this city's ever had. not likely to see someone with his vision and vigor ever.
the stadium haters on this forum will never get over all of this.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » March 20th, 2014, 2:22 pm

So in the renderings for the two Wells Fargo towers. I noticed they had Wells Fargo signage on the side of the building near the top as well as on the roof itself. I recall the roof signs being approved, but did the signs on the side of the towers also pass?

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

I'm not sure but I hope not. I hate driving through St. Paul at night and seeing it all lit up like multiple billboards. Crass.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 20th, 2014, 2:41 pm

I believe they are ok up to a certain height, which this messy comply with already.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 20th, 2014, 3:49 pm

It was my impression that these signs were not approved, but I can't recall for certain. I agree that these are the most offensive part of their proposed signage package and the only one I'd fight against. And by fight against, I mean make snarky comments on the internet.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 20th, 2014, 3:58 pm

The signs facing the park were approved. It's the signs facing the river which were not. I think.
Towns!

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 21st, 2014, 7:02 am

Can someone refer me to a link of the renderings showing signage on the building? I don't remember seeing these.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 21st, 2014, 9:16 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... -from.html

Mar 21, 2014, 7:00am CDT
Wells Fargo rooftop signs get zoning OK from Minneapolis

The Minneapolis City Council's Zoning and Planning Committee approved new rules that will allow rooftop signs by Wells Fargo in the city's new Downtown East development.

The Pioneer Press has a report on the committee vote. Minneapolis has barred rooftop signage for more than a decade, but the changes will allow signs facing public streets on buildings of fewer than six stories or signs that lay flat on top of buildings 15 stories or taller. ...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2014, 9:22 am

I think he wants to see the signage on the side of the buildings... soooooo, essentially asking someone else to search through the thread for him ;)

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 21st, 2014, 9:31 am

I was searching myself and couldn't find it, thought someone might have it off hand or know where to find it. No need to go looking for me.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2014, 9:50 am

I was searching myself and couldn't find it, thought someone might have it off hand or know where to find it. No need to go looking for me.
Did you use the search this thread search bar ^^^

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... 20East.pdf

took a couple seconds :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 21st, 2014, 10:07 am

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » March 21st, 2014, 4:43 pm

Anyway...

Really interesting story on how this all came together:
http://tcbmag.com/Industries/Real-Estat ... wn-East-De

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 21st, 2014, 5:26 pm

Great article. I guess it would definitely show one banned member that the liberal mayor and city council actually is pro development.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 21st, 2014, 5:31 pm

Yeah, that was a really good read. The only thing to add to it would have been a map of all the surface parking left in DT East. ;)

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » March 27th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Did I read the article right? They said they don't have "definitive plans" for the two parcels north of the Wells Fargo buildings. That was originally going to be housing in phase II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk