Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby nordeast homer » March 25th, 2014, 12:14 pm

If you look at the image and count the floors you get either 27 or 28, it's hard too tell with the parking portion how that will work, but I guess I'd stick with that until we hear a confirmation from the developer. I know Magellan thinks big so the potential is there to go bigger, but it still seems a bit premature.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 25th, 2014, 12:20 pm

I do think it's interesting that RT Rybak's Facebook account acknowledged the 35-story news story, though. Not sure if he has insider information, but I tend to think his word has slightly more significance than none.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2014, 12:41 pm

To be fair, KSTP is sketchy sensationalism.
Last night, anchor Bill Lunn read through some copy about the Hennepin/Lyndale project. Something to the effect of "bike ped project will happen blah blah deets" then some snark "Paid by a federal grant" and then the coup de grace: "If you want to weigh in on *what's actually needed* there's a public meeting tomorrow night." The condescension was reeking out of my TV.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 25th, 2014, 1:09 pm

KSTP is like our own miniature version of FOX News. Sensationalist, poorly written, poorly researched, and usually with a right wing bias. Stan Hubbard (station owner) is a real tool. I would be skeptical of anything coming out of that station. Even the weather.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 25th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Nah, Dave Dahl and the weather team are good, otherwise their news is kind of a joke. Constant errors. It is like they have no fact checking at all. They even had a caption on the bottom of the screen recently that said "Moorhead, ND". Not even kidding. And that is a pretty fair representation of the amount of proof reading that goes into their news, from what I have seen. Anyhoo, that is way off topic.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 25th, 2014, 3:18 pm

The Hubbards are extremely conservative… they have made their "Eyewitness News" the investigators that uncover government corruption and fraud. They really are consistently against government investment in any development. Kind of weird because the Central Line has at least doubled their building and properties worth.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 25th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Nah, Dave Dahl and the weather team are good, otherwise their news is kind of a joke. Constant errors. It is like they have no fact checking at all. They even had a caption on the bottom of the screen recently that said "Moorhead, ND". Not even kidding. And that is a pretty fair representation of the amount of proof reading that goes into their news, from what I have seen. Anyhoo, that is way off topic.
Yeah. The weather part was a joke.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 25th, 2014, 4:09 pm

The Hubbards are extremely conservative… they have made their "Eyewitness News" the investigators that uncover government corruption and fraud. They really are consistently against government investment in any development. Kind of weird because the Central Line has at least doubled their building and properties worth.
Which means they have to pay higher taxes :-P

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » March 25th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Well... thank God he's a weather man and not a marriage counselor (and, from a 'raging liberal,' he's the best weather man in town).

Back to the development. I'm starting to think this current proposal, as is, isn't good enough.

I've been fine with all of these 20-30 story developments. They're nice. This proposal is nice.

However, there is a billion dollar investment next door. An additional Half a billion dollars in investment exists in these 5 extra blocks. It would be nice if one of the projects in the area was sort of a signature piece, for the neighborhood and for the skyline.

I think this project needs to be taller and sleeker. It would be nice if it took some design cues from the stadium. It would be nice to have a nod to old Nordic design.

1180 peachtree comes to mind...
Get it? Horns.

another thought...
...This is not that far from the core of downtown... 3-4 city blocks. 2 of those city blocks will be filled in with 300 foot buildings where 5-6000 people will work... so the core of downtown has already slightly shifted toward the area. I hope they build something bigger here... that stands out.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » March 25th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Back to the development. I'm starting to think this current proposal, as is, isn't good enough.

I've been fine with all of these 20-30 story developments. They're nice. This proposal is nice.

However, there is a billion dollar investment next door. An additional Half a billion dollars in investment exists in these 5 extra blocks. It would be nice if one of the projects in the area was sort of a signature piece, for the neighborhood and for the skyline.

I think this project needs to be taller and sleeker. It would be nice if it took some design cues from the stadium. It would be nice to have a nod to old Nordic design.

Get it? Horns.

another thought...
...This is not that far from the core of downtown... 3-4 city blocks. 2 of those city blocks will be filled in with 300 foot buildings where 5-6000 people will work... so the core of downtown has already slightly shifted toward the area. I hope they build something bigger here... that stands out.
Agreed, the present design is indeed a "nice proposal". The 1180 Peachtree image illustrates the "potential" for a bolder, sensitive synthesis between the new stadium/DTE, the nod to deco in the WF twin bldgs. and the P. Johnson and C. Pelli towers of the CBD. Perhaps the designers (Magellan input) will recalibrate the initial design to something sleeker/taller (say 40-50 stories).
Last edited by skyrab on March 25th, 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 25th, 2014, 9:28 pm

They pretty much suck at any kind of development^W news.
FTFY.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 26th, 2014, 7:13 am

Well... thank God he's a weather man and not a marriage counselor (and, from a 'raging liberal,' he's the best weather man in town).

Get it? Horns.

another thought...
Looks like a mashup of two buildings. The taller portion looks very familiar, but not sure where that similar tower is. Lower portion looks like a more glassy version of Wells Fargo tower here.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 28th, 2014, 12:32 pm

^^^The beautiful design for 1180 Peachtree is by Pickard Chilton Architects, whose principles were proteges of Cesar Pelli, It definitely shows his influence. I'm thinking the parking ramp project will probably be designed by Loewenberg Architects who are responsible for many of Magellan's projects including LPM apartments.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 28th, 2014, 1:15 pm

The horns on the top remind me of the BAT Building in Nashville.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 28th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Also reminds me of the JW Marriott/Ritz-Carlton in Los Angeles.

http://www.laweekly.com/imager/the-jw-m ... t_ritz.jpg

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 25th, 2014, 6:26 am

Ryan's Apartment/Hotel Project Could get Bigger:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... kings.html

Anyone have a subscription?! I used to but don't anymore, and this story is behind the paywall.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 25th, 2014, 6:28 am

The horns on the top remind me of the BAT Building in Nashville.
That is what I was thinking as well. Also, a touch of the IFC tower in Hong Kong.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 25th, 2014, 6:30 am

Anyone have a subscription?! I used to but don't anymore, and this story is behind the paywall.
So, what you are telling me is that the information from someone who might actually have knowledge, might be correct? Hmmm. Interesting concept.

Azel
Metrodome

Postby Azel » April 25th, 2014, 6:34 am

The story says:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... kings.html Ryan is exploring plans for more apartment units and a tower that could be up to 35 stories tall, according to sources familiar with the project who declined to be named because the plans are still fluid.
Ryan Cos. Vice President of Development Rick Collins declined to provide specifics on the potential increase in height. A final decision on the building’s scope should come by mid-to-late May, he said.
Let's all keep an eye on city agendas. Sooner or later, the final plan (and updated renderings) are sure to emerge.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 25th, 2014, 7:38 am

So, what you are telling me is that the information from someone who might actually have knowledge, might be correct? Hmmm. Interesting concept.
What on Earth are you talking about? I'm trying to update this thread with new information from a source that has a paywall, and I no longer subscribe to BusinessJournals.com.....no different than any other member of this forum.

Do you have a problem with me?