Dinkytown

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Re: Dinkytown

Postby VAStationDude » April 12th, 2014, 9:51 pm

In light of two nights of rioting I've concluded Dinkytown is not really a place for $2000 a month luxury rentals. I've lived in Minnesota long enough to be thoroughly embarrassed by this behavior in front of my cousin from New York. As a city we need to stop coddling these "youths". There is some program that allows me to grossly simplify this situation.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 13th, 2014, 1:51 am

"Riots" happen in almost every college town in America. Dayton, OH was packed during the NCAA March Madness, and Louisville last year was a nut house. If you're embarrassed by these mini riots that happen, just think your cousin is from New York, home of some of the largest riots and race wars in this countries history.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 13th, 2014, 1:55 am

In light of two nights of rioting I've concluded Dinkytown is not really a place for $2000 a month luxury rentals. I've lived in Minnesota long enough to be thoroughly embarrassed by this behavior in front of my cousin from New York. As a city we need to stop coddling these "youths". There is some program that allows me to grossly simplify this situation.
First, I have no idea what the last sentence of your post meant.

And, yeah, nothing says "coddling the youth" like tear gas and rubber bullets.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 13th, 2014, 8:01 am

Can you imagine the reaction from Fox News, Star Tribune commentors anamunicipal paper pusher comment board operators if hundreds of police officers had been needed to keep order in Minneapolis after a Jay-Z show in Philly? When it's spoiled white kids fighting, starting fires, destroying cars and throwing objects at cops, the reaction is "hey it's college." Hell, there's an entire genre of film devoted to white college kids causing mayhem. I find the random assults that have occurred downtown abhorrent but am amused by the contrast between the reaction to the dinky town riots and other violent crime.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 8:37 am

What mayhem? The mayhem caused by maybe a dozen out of the thousands of people around? I have no idea how this "riot" word ever started getting thrown around. Or why we consider it an "unlawful assembly" for people to have a good time in the street. Because clearly streets are for cars rather than people...

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 13th, 2014, 8:53 am

On Thursday the crowd was throwing objects at police. Maybe on the west side of Lake Nokomis assault against law enforcement doesn't qualify as violence. My ward 12 values clearly tell me assault on police and impaling cars with street signs is mayhem. Equating what happened Thursday and Saturday night with a ciclovia is another example of what's wrong with white culture.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 9:12 am

Interesting, because I thought it was a social justice problem borne of harmful stereotypes to ascribe the lawlessness of a few bad actors to an entire social/racial group.... which you just did.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 9:16 am

Also I bet many of the people "rioting"/hanging out in the street are the same folks who live in $2,000 student luxury rentals.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 13th, 2014, 9:22 am

I especially like the selfies while lying in the street 'protesting'-

http://photos.twincities.com/2014/04/13 ... en-four/#8
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 13th, 2014, 9:24 am

My white culture comment should have set off sarcasm detectors all across the world wide web. Guess not. Of course the violent actions of a few don't tar all Gopher Men's hockey fans. (I am a north Dakota fan so I'm reveling in union's triumph over the Duke of college hockey)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 13th, 2014, 9:25 am

Honestly, if anything, the violence last night was egged on by the absolutely ham-handed and insane police presence and tactics.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 9:27 am

Stroading... these students are doing it wrong

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 13th, 2014, 10:30 am

When's the last time Minnesota looked good in national news? Falling bridges, Michele Bachmann, etc.

http://deadspin.com/minnesota-idiots-ri ... 1562698867
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 13th, 2014, 10:36 am

When's the last time Minnesota looked good in national news? Falling bridges, Michele Bachmann, etc.

http://deadspin.com/minnesota-idiots-ri ... 1562698867
Basically All the time... You downward debbie.
We hyper focus on the negative here, but honestly the nation probably cares for a half second when MN shows up in the news, good or bad. (unfortunately.)

Plus it's probably a lot better negative to positive ratio than states known for bad news... Jersey... etc...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 13th, 2014, 11:42 am

:?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 13th, 2014, 11:58 am

Destroying the car was a dumb move, but everything else just seems like police overreacting.

Was the basic crime here that students were in the street blocking cars?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 13th, 2014, 12:07 pm

If we would just turn 4th and 14th into a pedestrian mall this would not have even been an issue... talk about bad planning on the city's part.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 13th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Well if they can't use it on drunk college kids, when will MPD get to use their armored Humvee?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 13th, 2014, 1:45 pm

I did yell "self-fulfilling prophecy!" at a helicopter as we were leaving Stub and Herb's yesterday, and the police presence did look silly, but based on past experiences it was probably a good idea to err on the side of caution.

P.S. Do you think Kelly Doran rigged the game in the hopes someone would burn down the historic resource at 1319 4th Street Southeast??
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 13th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Heh. I mentioned that very possibility to my friends last night, as we tried to find a way to get from Campus Pizza to 15th & 8th without passing through the "mace on sight" zone.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]