Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby mister.shoes » April 14th, 2014, 12:40 pm

This could be fun. As a forum full of self-proclaimed urbanists, I'm sure we've all done things that we're not proud of. I'll start:

• Due to commitments and fatigue yesterday/last night, I didn't get a lunch packed for work today. So I drove 1/2 a mile to my local Subway for lunch.

:oops:
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby mister.shoes » April 14th, 2014, 12:41 pm

• And I circled the parking lot twice waiting for a spot.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 1:19 pm

I just feel the need to confess that I bought a new car last year, but I bought a tiny cheap car that sips gas, so I still feel good about being a Minneapolis urbanist.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » April 14th, 2014, 1:36 pm

I have a high powered luxury sedan and I like to get out of the 494/694 loop and go golfing, fishing, and hunting. :twisted: I do, however, walk to work everyday.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 14th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I have driven less than 4 blocks to get groceries at The Wedge before. That is my deepest shame.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 14th, 2014, 2:20 pm

I've stated to friends that it is my goal to drive more this year. Not driving as much as I used to has limited my skateboard filming...

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » April 14th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I bought a car last weekend. So embarrassed I couldn't really talk to the dealer...especially when I said "Not really." to his question, "Aren't you excited to get a new car?"

I still vividly remember his face when I explained later that I am a self-proclaimed urbanist promoting public transit and walkable neighborhoods, actively discouraging young people from buying a new car. He replied, "so, you want them to lease a car instead of buying a car?" Hah.

Also, isn't it ironic that you need a car to get to the dealerships in the Twin Cities to buy a car? None of the locations is really transit-accessible. SIGH. (Of course, the dealership in Minnetonka didn't really understand what I was complaining about...)
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 2:24 pm

The guy I worked with at the Dealership (White Bear Lake Chevy) normally sold trucks, so it was pretty fun buying literally the smallest cheapest car Chevy makes from him.

"Uh, yeah, this is the car, it's got four doors. I usually sell trucks."

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 14th, 2014, 2:26 pm

On certain days, I love skyways. I used the skyways to walk between work and my bus stop nearly all winter.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 14th, 2014, 2:28 pm

On certain days, I love skyways. I used the skyways to walk between work and my bus stop nearly all winter.
I was on vacation in Chicago during the "Polar Vortex." I have never missed skyways so much in my entire life.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » April 14th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I used to be for removing the skyways, and I think the argument for that is very well reasoned, but I have flip-flopped and now think the skyways have unique charm. My reasoning is if a mall can sustain 4 stories of foot traffic, a good urban area should be able to handle 2. Simplistic argument perhaps, but you get the point.

Bus shelters are not suitable for the winters here.

Environmental arguments for urbanism may be valid, but are not going to get anyone on our side.

I don't know how I feel about SW LRT.
Last edited by blobs on April 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 2:33 pm

I say skip the enviromental argument, go straight to economic, since the two are often tied pretty closer together. It's pretty easy to replace "green house gasses from long commutes" with "gas is expensive, use less of it!"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 14th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Can't it be both environmental and fiscal (personal and public)? On their own, they'll only appeal to certain demographics. Together you can capture more people's personal motives for daily/long-range decisions.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 14th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Best thread of 2014 so far.

Confession: I don't hate the skyways.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

sad panda
Metrodome

Postby sad panda » April 14th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Also, isn't it ironic that you need a car to get to the dealerships in the Twin Cities to buy a car? None of the locations is really transit-accessible. SIGH.
There are two dealerships in Hopkins just off the 12.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Can't it be both environmental and fiscal (personal and public)? On their own, they'll only appeal to certain demographics. Together you can capture more people's personal motives for daily/long-range decisions.
Yes, but there are people that will get turned off by the mere existence of an environmental argument (aka anybody that thinks climage change is a hoax aka strib commenters) so why even bother with it unless you're sure it will do more good than harm.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 14th, 2014, 3:24 pm

I love my yard.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 14th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Confessions: I like the skyways and don't think urbanists should be required to dislike them. I am really looking forward to replacing our family vehicle with a brand new car though I personally drive less than 25 miles a week. The wife drives more. My real confession would be living in a SFH. If selling the house wouldn't cost $10,000 I would really be pushing a move to the Soo Line Building.

Car Dealers: I've taken an express bus to the Audi dealership on the south side of 394 in Minnetonka.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 14th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Car Dealers: I've taken an express bus to the Audi dealership on the south side of 394 in Minnetonka.
You could definitely take a bus to Freeway Ford, 97th and Lyndale.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 14th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Also, I want to buy a SFH in some place that is somewhat walkable to frequent transit, but I don't need much yard, I just want a basement and a second level.

To swing the pendulum into total railfan territory, I want to have a lot of small rooms, I want to renovate one of the rooms into a part of a passenger rail car. So maybe something like a pair of turn of the century era first class seats facing each other in their own private cabin, etc etc.

E: Something like these:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... terior.jpg
http://trainphilos.squarespace.com/stor ... 2294854514

Or this for a more modern flare, but I think the only way I could get the wife to get behind it is if it was Victorian inspired:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ity-38.jpg