Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
eazydp
Metrodome

Re: Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby eazydp » April 18th, 2014, 11:24 am

I almost always take the at-grade road crossing on 28th Street and Hiawatha instead of the Sabo Bridge.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 18th, 2014, 11:27 am

I almost always take the at-grade road crossing on 28th Street and Hiawatha instead of the Sabo Bridge.
Not embarrassing at all, I usually do too - it's generally much faster, involves less effort, and doesn't take you several hundred feet out of the way. And while it eliminates the (signalized) crossing of Hiawatha to use the bridge, it adds the (non-signalized) crossing of 28th so it's not like it reduces the risk of a collision by that much anyway. All in all, the Sabo bridge is pretty but its utility is very questionable. I cross the intersection by foot a *lot* and by bicycle fairly often, and I've rarely found that I have to wait long enough for a signal to cross Hiawatha that it would have been better to take the bridge.

The only times I take the bridge are (1) when I want to add a little distance or variety to my run / ride; or (2) when i want to watch the LRVs passing underneath me. I never choose it for convenience or speed.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » April 18th, 2014, 4:49 pm

I think the City Center tower is kind of attractive... (Don't worry, I do hate the way it interacts with Nicollet Mall.)

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » April 18th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I used to be for removing the skyways, and I think the argument for that is very well reasoned, but I have flip-flopped and now think the skyways have unique charm. My reasoning is if a mall can sustain 4 stories of foot traffic, a good urban area should be able to handle 2. Simplistic argument perhaps, but you get the point.

Bus shelters are not suitable for the winters here.

Environmental arguments for urbanism may be valid, but are not going to get anyone on our side.

I don't know how I feel about SW LRT.
FAQ for you

Q: How big is a mall?
A: Very small compared to a downtown
Q: How public is a mall?
A: Not very public compared to a sidewalk
Q: Is the occasional comfort of skyways worth it?
A: Not even close

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » April 18th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Have you walked past the Met Council building? No doors face the street! Well, none aside from a couple of emergency exits that don't have any exterior handles.
This explains a lot
In met council's defense, that horrible building was designed and built for some other government agency, and then they moved out and it was empty for years and then the Met council moved in.

Photo tour of DT St Paul blank walls is here, btw: https://www.facebook.com/bill.lindeke.3 ... 076&type=3

Anyway my embarrassing confession: Despite spending hours attending "Saint Paul Walks" campaigns and tabling for them, which is a group all about getting St Paul drivers to stop for pedestrians, when I'm driving a car around I almost never actually stop for pedestrians.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 18th, 2014, 6:28 pm

I think getting behind the wheel makes even the most ardent pedestrian loving urbanist an asshole to people not in your own car.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 18th, 2014, 7:32 pm

FAQ for you

Q: How big is a mall?
A: Very small compared to a downtown
Q: How public is a mall?
A: Not very public compared to a sidewalk
Q: Is the occasional comfort of skyways worth it?
A: Not even close
My favorite part of this thread was that no one had gotten all judgy about other people's confessions. Oh well, I guess.

New one: I left my bike outside in a snowdrift for all of last winter, and haven't gotten it repaired in almost a year.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

blindeke
Block E

Postby blindeke » April 18th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I am terrible. I confess.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 18th, 2014, 9:27 pm

I am terrible. I confess.
I disagree Bill. You're actually really good.

SKOL
Block E

Postby SKOL » April 18th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Confessions: If selling the house wouldn't cost $10,000 I would really be pushing a move to the Soo Line Building.
Just cut out the realtor fees, sell your mortgage outright, and walk away with the cash for your next downpayment. If you have an average amount of equity in your home the buyer pays the "down payment" directly to you. It's still good for the buyer because you've paid much of the interest on the mortgage and shortened the mortgage term. Of course this assumes you have a mortgage.

My buddy, who's in banking, started a national on-line listing service that he runs locally. It is just taking off. I'm not sure I can give him a plug on here, so just Google, "sell your mortgage assumable mortgage directory".

BTW, sorry for the off-topic post. It's a good idea that might help our friend.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
- Samuel Johnson

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 18th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Just cut out the realtor fees, sell your mortgage outright
Most mortgages these days aren't assumable.

SKOL
Block E

Postby SKOL » April 18th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Just cut out the realtor fees, sell your mortgage outright
Most mortgages these days aren't assumable.
I'm sorry IF you're a Realtor - I didn't mean to step on your toes. I hate debating in a public forum but I feel compelled to say that FHA mortgages made after December 14, 1989, can be assumed. Some VA and ARMs are assumable. People would have to check with their lender.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
- Samuel Johnson

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » April 20th, 2014, 9:37 am

I've illegally crossed the street on red as a motorist on foot.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 20th, 2014, 11:35 am

I'm currently the least cool person carrying a banana cream pie ten long St. Paul blocks on a Sunday after getting off at the wrong bus stop, and at this moment, I can see the advantages of car ownership.

Also, this makes two weekends in a row I've gotten screwed due to my complete lack of St. Paul knowledge.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 20th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Well at least it's warm out haha.

Another embarrassing confession: I have driven my car to another parking lot that is only across the street many times instead of just walking over there. Though of course the roads usually aren't pedestrian friendly to begin with.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 20th, 2014, 8:15 pm

I'm a high schooler living in the burbs

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 20th, 2014, 9:02 pm

I'm a high schooler living in the burbs
Many of us started out that way. Keep your chin up!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » April 21st, 2014, 9:44 am

Confessions: I like the skyways and don't think urbanists should be required to dislike them. I am really looking forward to replacing our family vehicle with a brand new car though I personally drive less than 25 miles a week. The wife drives more. My real confession would be living in a SFH. If selling the house wouldn't cost $10,000 I would really be pushing a move to the Soo Line Building.

Car Dealers: I've taken an express bus to the Audi dealership on the south side of 394 in Minnetonka.
If you're ever looking to have any questions answered about Soo Line, just PM me. I moved in just a few weeks ago as a new resident to Minnesota. I've seen a few of the floorplans and live in an alcove unit.

Also agreed on skyways. Now that I'm here, I see a lot of usefulness in them. I use them a lot, along with walking the street level a lot. Just depends where I'm going and the weather out. Personal preference.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 21st, 2014, 2:31 pm

Thanks. Sadly, there's no chance I will be moving to the Soo Line.

Confession: I don't think Portland is all that great. My favorite cities American cities are big and bustling. Portland definitely doesn't have a big city feel at all. The pedestrian realm downtown is pretty sweet but the bus system is lousy, especially offpeak. For a visitor who wanted to check out the neighborhoods the bus was a big barrier. The east bank of the Willamette is home to Interest 5 which kinda spoils the riverfont, imo. I have a pretty intense demeanor so I couldn't possibly live in a city like Portland where everybody has a super relaxed attitude.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » May 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am

Yesterday I looked at my angry newborn and it struck me that he looked just like a miniature James Howard Kuntsler.