Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 7:42 am

Honestly? That article sounds like someone decided to publish a rumor they heard from someone. That kind of language is exactly the kind of non specificity that "insiders" have used to talk about development rumors since forever. I'll believe it when I see it in some official capacity.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 25th, 2014, 7:50 am

Some of you guys really aren't into rumors or unconfirmed/undocumented stories, huh! If it were public knowledge it wouldn't be "inside" and everybody else would know about it as well. I personally like to hear inside rumors like these, even if let's say only 50% of the rumors are ever true or come to fruition!

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » April 25th, 2014, 8:08 am

A Ryan official confirmed this week that the tower plan hasn't been finalized and could get taller.
It's from someone at Ryan, so it's more than just a rumor. And I agree with min-chi-cbus that it's fun to hear about this sort of thing. This isn't a wiki, it's a forum. I understand the argument that completely baseless rumors don't really add much, but this isn't an instance of "Do you think they will make this building bigger? ..... because TALLER IS AWESOME!".

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 25th, 2014, 8:14 am

Ryan's Apartment/Hotel Project Could get Bigger:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... kings.html

Anyone have a subscription?! I used to but don't anymore, and this story is behind the paywall.
So, what you are telling me is that the information from someone who might actually have knowledge, might be correct? Hmmm. Interesting concept.
What on Earth are you talking about? I'm trying to update this thread with new information from a source that has a paywall, and I no longer subscribe to BusinessJournals.com.....no different than any other member of this forum.

Do you have a problem with me?
I think it was just a swipe at people who criticize "insider info." Nasa said back in mid-March on SSC that this was going to be 38 stories.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 25th, 2014, 8:23 am

Ryan's Apartment/Hotel Project Could get Bigger:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... kings.html

Anyone have a subscription?! I used to but don't anymore, and this story is behind the paywall.
So, what you are telling me is that the information from someone who might actually have knowledge, might be correct? Hmmm. Interesting concept.
What on Earth are you talking about? I'm trying to update this thread with new information from a source that has a paywall, and I no longer subscribe to BusinessJournals.com.....no different than any other member of this forum.

Do you have a problem with me?
No no no. Not at all. The very opposite. Someone a few months ago had stated they heard the developer was looking to possibly go taller than the original plan. A few people blasted it because it was a rumor and not published truth. And that rumors had no place in the forum.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 25th, 2014, 9:06 am

Cool if it is true...I really wouldn't be surprised if the article is based off rumors from this very thread or other similar sites though, actually. Wouldn't be the first time!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2014, 9:10 am

Honestly? That article sounds like someone decided to publish a rumor they heard from someone. That kind of language is exactly the kind of non specificity that "insiders" have used to talk about development rumors since forever. I'll believe it when I see it in some official capacity.
you're the worst. trollolol.
Last edited by Nathan on April 25th, 2014, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 25th, 2014, 9:14 am

Cool if it is true...I really wouldn't be surprised if the article is based off rumors from this very thread or other similar sites though, actually. Wouldn't be the first time!
They did interview the Ryan rep. who stated they were thinking of going bigger. So it may have started with rumors, but they went to the source to confirm that rumor. And got confirmation that they are looking at a larger scale project. So this is no longer a rumor, but relavent information from the developer.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 9:40 am

By my reading of that, the Ryan rep wouldn't wouldn't confirm anything, unless you've got full access to the article rather than the snippest posted above.

I'm not going to give this any more credence than I would Nasa saying it was going to be taller (which is to say, I would give it no credence).

I hope it's taller too, I'm just not going to believe it until Ryan files taller plans with the City.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2014, 10:11 am

FWIW, Ryan hasn't filed any plans with the city. That is to say, it's not like the 27-story version has been approved, and this would require an amendment. They haven't actually sought land use (zoning) approval for this project at all.

The only prior action by the city on this parcel was to approve the sale of the air rights to Ryan. Any actual proposal they make will go through the Planning Commission.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2014, 10:16 am

By my reading of that, the Ryan rep wouldn't wouldn't confirm anything, unless you've got full access to the article rather than the snippest posted above.

I'm not going to give this any more credence than I would Nasa saying it was going to be taller (which is to say, I would give it no credence).

I hope it's taller too, I'm just not going to believe it until Ryan files taller plans with the City.
It's a reliable media source, and mentions conversation with a ryan rep, who would probably loose their job talking rumors to the media. Sometimes when there is a possibility that you were wrong and some people were right there are better, more graceful ways to be. At this point it's no longer an under the desk whispered rumor and I think is legit to be discussed. even if it doesn't come to fruition.

Clearly it seems like developers are doubling down on DTE and proposing buildings regardless of the growing vacancy rate.

We'll all have to see, but don't get all butthurt every time a rumor might come true. If you're going to be fiercely against them, give credit when and where credit is due.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 25th, 2014, 10:18 am

Well if it is from a Ryan rep...good. Hopefully we will see plans submitted soon...though I guess this is a ways away?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 10:31 am

Feel free to discuss it. I have no problem with the article and the rumor being discussed here. Again, I hope it's taller too. I just want to temper enthusiasm, because this sounds like nothing more than a rumor that someone would post here.

By my reading of the excerpt (and again, if someone has read the full article and it contains more information please say so) the source quoted is someone familiar with the project that can't say who they are because things aren't set in stone yet (and I totally understand why they would want to stay anonymous in this case). The Ryan employee interviewed "declined to provide specifics on the potential increase in height." Without knowing exactly what he said, it's hard to say what he means by that. Is he confirming that the building could grow but not confirming that 35 is the new number? Is he declining to comment at all ("no comment")? Is he declining to comment on the building changing height at all? I don't know.

I hope I'm wrong, and that this building will be taller, but I won't be surprised if I'm right either.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » April 25th, 2014, 10:42 am

[off-topic] I was actually going to sign up for a BizJournals subscription to view that article (and I've been considering it for a little while,) but it's ridiculous that they charge the same price for digital-only as they do for print edition + digital access. That pricing model seems... well, stupid. And you can only pay for a year at a time, no 6-week or 6-month access. [/off-topic]

On that note, I know "taller" isn't exactly what the crowd around here roots for, but from a purely aesthetic view, I'm not a fan of this tower and the Wells Fargo buildings being such similar heights, up so close against the stadium. I love an urban wall, but I'd love to see more height variety. Maybe it'll look better in person than it does in my head.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 10:49 am

I think there was concern that at 27 floors there wouldn't be much variety in height here, so in that regard going taller would be good for variety.

Is this (or any of the WF project) going to be taller than the stadium itself? I saw a tweet that the stadium would be half the height of the IDS tower, so hopefully we build something taller than the stadium, so it doesn't just dwarf the neighborhood.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » April 25th, 2014, 10:53 am

I think there was concern that at 27 floors there wouldn't be much variety in height here, so in that regard going taller would be good for variety.

Is this (or any of the WF project) going to be taller than the stadium itself? I saw a tweet that the stadium would be half the height of the IDS tower, so hopefully we build something taller than the stadium, so it doesn't just dwarf the neighborhood.
I've read somewhere that the stadium would be the tallest of all the new structures, but I have no idea where I remember that from. Anyone have a source of the planned heights?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 25th, 2014, 10:57 am

I remember reading that too, but I think it was before this project was pitched, so it just meant that the stadium peak would be slightly higher than the WF towers. I believe they will be 310 feet, while the stadium will be 320. I agree that this tower being even 350 feet would be a nice visual break.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 11:01 am

This isn't the stadium thread, but how in the flipping flip is a STADIUM one of the tallest buildings built post recession. LPM is taller, and potentially maybe this building, but is anything else taller?

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 25th, 2014, 11:06 am

Initially the stadium would be the shortest of the structures. That was when the WF towers were planned for 301 feet (and the stadium was planned at 272 ft)

However, the latest numbers have the WF towers around 260 ft. The stadium is still at 272 ft. The hotel/residential tower plan has yet to be submitted.
Last edited by m b p on April 25th, 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2014, 11:06 am

how in the flipping flip is a STADIUM one of the tallest buildings built post recession.
A Billion Dollars?