Happy Hour!

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
froggie
Rice Park

Re: Happy Hour!

Postby froggie » April 1st, 2014, 7:20 am

In town now. Would like to do something Thursday 4/3. Place/time?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » April 7th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Maybe this Thursday on the 10th instead? Club Jager still gets my vote: HH til 7pm...and upon checking the site it says 4-10PM.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » April 9th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Too late for me. I had to leave this past Sunday (the 6th).

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » April 13th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I think UrbanMSP happy hours should be scheduled very well in advance, like couple weeks at least.

That being said, and now that the ramp on Nic & 4th is coming down, we should have a spring happy hour! I am proposing these dates as our options: 4/24 (Thu), 4/28 (Mon), 4/29 (Tue).

Any thought? (Paging MSP Happy Hour Planning Commission... and TC Happy Hour Grassroots Initiatives...)
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 14th, 2014, 11:16 am

I'm all for Club Jager on any of those 3 dates. Been wanting to get into that building for years, but it is kinda out of my normal traffic pattern and I only think about it when I happen to be going by and can't stop. Would love to see the interior and I think they also have an outdoor patio if I'm correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also give me a chance to do a walking tour of the North Loop when I'm in the area.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » April 21st, 2014, 11:56 am

Okay, there's not much traction going on with the happy hour idea. Maybe we should fold it for now unless we have more people who want to participate?
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 21st, 2014, 1:11 pm

Nick is working on some things (as far as I know). Stay tuned.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 22nd, 2014, 5:43 pm

OKAY, so we have about thirty to forty percent of a plan put together here, but there appears to be a lot up in the air. So it would be a hoot to tailgate, with pedicabs, at the demolition of the Nicollet & 4th ramp. We have the pedicabs secured, and we have a date, May 4th, when they'll be doing demolition and a very minimal amount of attention will be paid to the general area. The assumption was that this would take place on the Ritz block across 4th Street South in some number of parking spaces. HOWEVER, it turns out that actually you can't drink in parking lots west of 4th Avenue South without getting a permit, which I would do because that's hilarious, but I would imagine that (and I don't work for Business Licensing) that probably has more than a 12 day lead time, but also it might not, and also we're not selling anything so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Is it just temporary assembly? Is this all crazy? I don't know.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/licensi ... temp_index
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 24th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/events/548274125292867/?ref=22

Join us on Sunday, May 4 (2:00-5:00) in the surface parking lot on the Ritz block for the nerdiest pedicab-tailgating event of your life!

As you may have noticed, one of the ugliest parking ramps downtown is being torn down. Opus is tearing down the ramp at 4th & Nicollet to make way for the future Xcel HQ building. This is the very same block where The Nic on 5th apartment building is nearing completion and construction on Mortenson's 4Marq will soon be underway.

We're providing the pedicabs (in lieu of cars), grills, and charcoal. You bring any food you'd like to grill and beverages you'd like to drink. A chair might not be a bad idea either. We're going to spend the afternoon watching this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad parking ramp get torn apart by heavy machinery. We have confirmed with Opus that demolition work will be going on Sunday afternoon, and this might be our last chance to see the magic happen. Nick will read aloud any poem or eulogy dedicated to the ramp that you can come up with.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » April 25th, 2014, 9:41 am

This is so awesome. I will swing through on my way home from the Mayday Parade with the kids in the bike trailer. My two year old will enjoy the demolition even more than me. And I will definitely love seeing this junker come down.

Way to think WAY out of the box on this one. Should be a hilarously memorable event.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 28th, 2014, 9:48 pm

So it was suggested once, but maybe we should actually plan it for a real: Green line opening bar crawl. I'm not sure if it's even feasible, are there bars at all stations? Could anybody survive 23 drinks (one for each station)? Maybe some of the stops we drink something without alcohol (it's June, I bet a nice cold lemonade would be pretty great). Any thoughts or interest in this?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2014, 6:29 am

Green Line bar crawl definitely needs to happen at some point this summer. If anyone wants to take the lead on planning the stops along the way (no need to get off at every station necessarily), direction of travel, etc. be my guest.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 29th, 2014, 7:02 am

I'd say we set up a starting point and let it move organically. No need to plan stops, right?

Also, a Blue Line 10-year anniversary happy hour might be in order as well.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 29th, 2014, 8:02 am

I'm skipping the existing stations and starting with the new ones.

West Bank: tons of options, Republic, Town Hall, Palmers, Nomad, etc.
East Bank: Beacon Public House? depends how far away from the line you want to go
Stadium Village: Stub & Herbs (it feels like a stadium village spot though its actually just as close to the East Bank stop, so we could combine these two), The Hole, others
Prospect Park: U Garden or the Overflow, others
Westgate: Dunn Bros
Raymond: Dubliner for booze, Cafe Biaggio has drinks, Foxy Falafel has food. Too bad The Edge closed.
Fairview: Russian Tea House, Lucy Coffee Cafe, Days Inn on Prior has Tracks bar. Burning Bros brewery is there too completed with taproom (thanks LordMoke)
Snelling: Turf Club! And many others
Hamline: Town House, Target? (ha)
Lexington: Johnny Baby's, New Asia, Hoa Bien
Victoria: Ngon Bistro (that place is amazing)
Dale: Sugarush, Daily Diner, Big Daddy's BBQ, lots of food, no drinks that I know of
Western: Bangkok Thai Deli, Mai Village, Thai Cafe, etc.
Rice: Sweetwater (never been there, on google though), Blue Lagoon, El Bravo, New Saigon, others
Robert: ? Most stuff here is in the government buildings and inaccessible at night
10th St: Black Sheep, Fuji Ya, Sawatdee, Camp Bar, Tin Whiskers, Keys Cafe if early
Central: Amsterdam, St. Paul Grill, Senor Wong, Hat Trick, others
Union Depot: Bulldog, Barrio, Kelley's, Black Dog, others
Last edited by LakeCharles on April 29th, 2014, 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 29th, 2014, 9:02 am

Fairview: Russian Tea House, Lucy Coffee Cafe, Days Inn on Prior has Tracks bar. Burning Bros brewery is there too, but no tap room.
Burning Bros just opened their taproom a couple weeks ago. Its hours are somewhat limited though.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » April 29th, 2014, 9:12 am

Bang Brewing is also located up on Capp Rd with limited tap rooms hours. That's also adjacent to True Stone Coffee roasters; not sure if they actually serve anything there though.

The only thing I can think of for Robert would be the Cafe inside Regions. It's the only place in MN that I know of that sells Peet's Coffee (which is actually really good). They close at 9:00PM.

10th: Tin Whiskers Brewing will be open adjacent to Sawatdee this month.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 29th, 2014, 9:31 am

Yeah Bang is good, but I didn't know how far away we wanted to get. It's about a 3/4 mile walk from the station, which certainly isn't bad. And if we opened it up to that distance then all of Dinkytown would be within the East Bank stop as well.

True Stone doesn't serve anything there that I know.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 1st, 2014, 8:18 pm

Alright guys, so after doing some talking, we decided to cancel this Sunday's tailgating event. The ramp is coming down a lot quicker than we all expected. Also, getting the boot was a likelihood--technically the Ritz block falls outside of the legal tailgating zone.

But there's good news! Now we can all go to MayDay! We're also talking about doing another event to coincide with the grand opening of Target Field Station, which is on May 17. The Blue Line's 10 year anniversary is also approaching, so we're thinking of meeting up at the Target Field Station's opening festivities, and following it up with a Blue Line bar crawl.

Thoughts?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 1st, 2014, 8:38 pm

Name the line and the time, and I'll bar crawl it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 1st, 2014, 8:58 pm

I've been watching that ramp all week, wondering if there would be anything left above ground by Sunday. Good choice, I think.

As far as a bar crawl, awesome idea, and I'll be thrilled to go on a future Green Line one, but I'll probably be busy on May 17th with family, given that I graduate the night before. Presumably, this'll be the last UrbanMSP event that I miss due to college things.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]