[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneapolisite

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby Minneapolisite » April 19th, 2014, 7:03 pm

The GLBT Spot is now Adonis something or other: just noticed while biking by. Guess it wasn't exclusive enough before: now the Ls, Ts and non-Adonis bodied Gs and male Bs are out too. So, who's moving in next?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 19th, 2014, 7:22 pm

I think Adonis is a trashy undie line. I think it might be their niche judging by the window displays.

*edit for spelling
Last edited by seanrichardryan on April 19th, 2014, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 19th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I'm pretty sure its just another concept by the same person. who I'm friends with on Facebook and who invited me to both opening parties.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 19th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Just went by, indeed the signage has changed. I stand corrected. More undies for all.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 20th, 2014, 12:44 pm

What's the name of this store now? Adonis?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 20th, 2014, 3:40 pm

The GLBT Spot had a few things that did not work in their favor. The Rainbow Road not that far away and already established. Even sales in that store have been heading south for years. What they had for variety and product got to be less and less and less of what I wanted to buy. The G spot also I felt catered more to the Lesbians who tend to be very tight with their money, imo. Why most stand alone lesbian bars to not last. Very limited support. Leather and Latte are doing fine with their retail portion as they are catering to a segment where online is less of a convenience because due to size and fit issues. Another plus with L&L is they have another product that people go in for and then by more on impulse while waiting for their coffee or tea to brew and decide to look and see something they want. Also more people shopping online. The younger niche who would be more likely to buy, are also the demographic that is at home with shopping online.

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2014, 12:39 pm

The long, long awaited Heyday at 2700 Lyndale opens tonight: http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2 ... uptown.php

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 22nd, 2014, 12:45 pm

The long, long awaited Heyday at 2700 Lyndale opens tonight: http://minneapolis.eater.com/archives/2 ... uptown.php
We have reservations at 6, I'll try and remember to post how it went.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 23rd, 2014, 7:35 am

We have reservations at 6, I'll try and remember to post how it went.
Dinner was phenomenal last night. They did a really nice job on the space, the music seemed to all be from the 90's (Nirvana, Green Day, etc) and it lives up to it's name. It seems they're trying to go back to the "HeyDay" of their career. Back when food was fun, casual and delicious. I could be totally wrong... overall a wonderful experience.

Even the wood they used on the walls gives the place a really nice woodsy scent to it. That, the over sized art on the walls and the chandeliers make the place seem very fun, warm and inviting. The servers all kind of look the same so I'm guessing they did that on purpose. Mostly young down to earth women and a few (showered and dressed up) hipsteresque men.

We had the Chilled Blue Mussels and the Sweet Beetroot and Hazelnuts for starters, each excellent in it's own way but I HIGHLY recommend the mussels which had a yogurt "snow" on top of them. I used the leftover bread to eat the rest of that when the mussels were gone, it was that good it couldn't be wasted. I honestly don't remember the name of my fish but he had the Roasted Squab; I'd never heard of either of them before. Both were very good, the fish was better; and for dessert we had the Vanilla Crème Fraiche Ice Cream which had frozen licorice, rhubarb granita and orange (sweet and tart together, VERY good) and he had the Frozen Coffee Parfait which was only okay in my book but he loved it.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 23rd, 2014, 10:34 am

So, it was better than a Trader Joe's parking lot?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 23rd, 2014, 10:42 am

So, it was better than a Trader Joe's parking lot?
Though I'd still love an URBAN Trader Joe's... yes, much better.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » April 25th, 2014, 9:56 pm

I don't buy that there aren't enough lesbians willing to part with their money for a lesbian-oriented establishment, such as a bar, to survive or even thrive. I've seen plenty of them at the 19 buying pitchers and playing pool, so I'm sure there's demand. Coming from Columbus I was surprised there weren't also lesbian bars here: not even a lesbian dance club anywhere either, not even Downtown. I think it's a matter of being welcoming to a wider audience instead of a small niche of certain lesbians, That's probably why Leather & Latte is doing well, because it doesn't pigeonhole itself exclusively to a small niche of an already small minority population.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Didn't there used to be a lesbian bar in Seward or thereabouts? I could swear I remember picking up a friend from a speed dating event there one night.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 25th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Yes, Pi, short lived/

Townhouse is the go to these days (or was it always?)

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 26th, 2014, 10:57 am

There is definitely something going in to the empty retail space in the Greenleaf Apartments, they had some blue paper up covering part of the window this morning. Anyone have any info on what it might be? Looked like there was permit on the window too but I was driving so couldn't look at it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 26th, 2014, 9:53 pm

From the bartenders I know, they tell me that other bartenders they know will not work in a bar with a heavy concentration of lesbians as they are not good tippers. When you make your living on tip you will move on to other jobs that have better tippers. The 19 is a bar unlike any other in the city, I may be gay, but it is still a neighborhood bar where all are welcome. Does not hurt that they have some of the cheapest drink prices for some of their drinks and beers. Even though I'm not a smoker, I do like to hang on their back patios when the weather is nice.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 9th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Sounds like my Rainbow will be becoming a Cub. Not so sure I'm all for that as I always found the Rainbow fliers had 3 times as many deals on products that I really wanted. Somewhat captive audience so I'm sure I'll be going there as I'm not one to spend my budget on high priced food that I can get at a reasonable price elsewhere, AKA Lunds and Kowalskis

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 10th, 2014, 7:52 pm

New wine bar opened in retail/restaurant space in Greenleaf Apts. Vinnie's Wine Bar or something.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » May 10th, 2014, 8:03 pm

New wine bar opened in retail/restaurant space in Greenleaf Apts. Vinnie's Wine Bar or something.
It's open? I just drove by there and there was still blue paper in the window.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 11th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Louie's Wine Dive is now open in the Blue at the corner of Lake and Aldrich. The Greenleaf's is still covered with blue paper as of yesterday morning.