Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
jet777
Nicollet Mall

Re: Target Field Station

Postby jet777 » May 15th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Do I see more Zoran Mojsilov? Seems like dude is everywhere.
EVERYWHERE. It's very recognizable I guess.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 15th, 2014, 2:13 pm

I don't see the problem with keeping the original platform. It's on a bridge, so it wouldn't even be very easy to get rid of it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 16th, 2014, 7:33 am

yes peter mclaughlin has said that the original platform will remain. target field overcapacity at the original station was one of the selling points of the new station.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 16th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Look how many people are walking on the streets!
To give you a little perspective, this is essentially the busiest part of Seattle. When I was their, there weren't as many people. But this starbucks is next to a classy mall which is close to a ton of shopping. It's pretty cool to be honest.
Indeed. The CBD is dead after 5pm. When I was there last I couldn't even find an open Starbucks!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 17th, 2014, 8:33 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » May 17th, 2014, 10:30 am

As a transit project, I agree that TFS offers limited (at best) benefits. As a city-making project, though, I have to admit I like it a lot -- especially that they were able to rescue a few development parcels from a piece of land that was a complete afterthought.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 17th, 2014, 1:45 pm

This place is beautiful. Anyone here?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 17th, 2014, 7:49 pm

I stopped in with my kids this afternoon to see Choo Choo Bob. I thought it looked really nice.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » May 17th, 2014, 7:52 pm

It's a pretty great public space though they were using the old lrt platform for blue line loading and both for unloading. :-\

MSP
Block E

Postby MSP » May 17th, 2014, 8:23 pm

I stopped by on my bike this afternoon. It was nice!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 17th, 2014, 10:07 pm

I can confirm that the bathrooms are open until 11pm at least, after all the festivities are over and see no reason to believe that they close. Worth every penny of the $80 million.

Also, as VAStationdude says, they're using the old platform for Blue Line boarding tonight. #LRTdisappointments
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » May 17th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I've seen a Metro Transit graphic in a presentation (will try to find again) showing the old platform for Blue Line boarding and the new platform for Green Line boarding, at least after Twins games. Sounds like this procedure is already in place ahead of the Green Line opening.

EDIT: see slide 67 http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/hennepin ... 202014.pdf

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm

That article claims that United Properties has already submitted plans for the additional development on the NW corner of this property. Has anyone dug those up as of yet?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 18th, 2014, 8:14 am

I made a new topic about the development last week, but it ended up being deleted.

In any case, United Properties is applying for a Met Council TOD grant through the City, and here is the excerpt:
Target Field Station – Pad A (southern corner of 5th St. N. and 6th Ave. N.)
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA-TOD Site Investigation Request: $35,500
United Properties Investment LLC intends to construct new mixed-use, 200,000 square foot building that will include 46,000 square feet of commercial office space and 6,500 square feet of retail, with the remainder of the square footage devoted to a 161-room hotel and structured parking to support all of the aforementioned uses. Grant funding, if awarded, would be used for Phase I and Phase II environmental site investigations and for the preparation of a Response Action Plan.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 124438.pdf

So basically an office/hotel, with a small retail space.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 19th, 2014, 10:20 am

Got down there Sunday afternoon and I have to admit, the space is fantastic. They had the Twins game broadcast up on the big board which was pretty cool and people were out sunbathing on the lawn. I particularly like the connection to N. 5th Ave. I'm questioning the amphitheater just a bit because it seems really weird to have a giant bridge over the performance space.

Still not much transit utility, but it should be a nice public amenity.

I do wonder about the Caribou. It seems strange to have all the retail located next to the mostly inactive platform. I still think it's a mistake not to have platform 1 be the primary stop. From there it's really easy to get into the heart of the North Loop.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 19th, 2014, 11:01 am

Platform 2, the new one, is supposed to be the full service platform, which the Caribou and the still vacant commercial space underneath the platform is adjacent to. Yesterday when I went, they seemed to be stopping at both platforms, I'm not sure why.
My flickr photos.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 19th, 2014, 11:10 am

Platform 2, the new one, is supposed to be the full service platform
Ah, I misunderstood then. Thanks for the correction!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 19th, 2014, 11:22 am

I made a new topic about the development last week, but it ended up being deleted.
Not deleted: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2574

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 19th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I went to the game on Sunday and made the detour to check this out (pre and post game). The space back here is pretty cool. It's the kind of public space you expect to see in the city yet is lacking here. But it's mostly a waste at this point. The cool staircase will get hardly any use because nobody walks down 5th st to the west. I guess it sets this area up nicely for future development but for now, most of the public spaces will be empty. Even at the busiest times.
Towns!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 19th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I went to the game on Sunday and made the detour to check this out (pre and post game). The space back here is pretty cool. It's the kind of public space you expect to see in the city yet is lacking here. But it's mostly a waste at this point. The cool staircase will get hardly any use because nobody walks down 5th st to the west. I guess it sets this area up nicely for future development but for now, most of the public spaces will be empty. Even at the busiest times.
When I leave games there are tons of people that exit and filter out to the North Loop down 5th. Are they still allowing people to cross at the old platform and walk down the street?

IMO this will be used a lot as more and more people move to the North Loop.