Valleyfair - Shakopee

Twin Cities Suburbs
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Valleyfair - Shakopee

Postby Mdcastle » April 7th, 2014, 8:13 am

Official plans are typically announced in August, and there's not any rumors to that effect either. The most unsurprising rumor is there's going to be a major waterpark expansion next year, considering that 1) They've spent a lot of money to demolish the Imax and presumably the Hydroblaster that are next to the waterpark, and 2) Cedar Fair has been buying WhiteWater slide towers featuring the Aqua-Drop for some of their other parks. 2016 I'd then expect to be an off-year, then 2017 is probably the first they'd built a new coaster or something else. Another thing out there is Cedar Fair has been buying WIndseekers, so there's rumors we might get one of those if they haven't soured on them due to the maintenance issues and they can work with the height limit in effect.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 25th, 2014, 7:59 am

I should add that a lot of the rumors are well placed, rather than just random speculation from fans. The rumor last spring that it was the last year for IMAX and HydroBlaster turned out to be true, for example. There's more rumors that the next year's waterpark expansion will encompass more than just those two areas and take out other existing park elements. There's also an application to the Shakopee city council to realign a portion of the road to the employee parking lot, which makes sense to do it this year if there's going to be fill available on-site from excavations.

There are in fact new coaster rumors going around, it's been a while since Valleyfair got a new one, and Cedar Fair has identified ValleyFair as one of three parks that are undeveloped relative to the size of the market. The usual rumor is a B&M invert but at the same time those are becoming almost passe right now so they might go with something else. Speculation is with the new waterpark expansion in 2015, that 2016 might be another off year, then a new coaster might be in 2017.

Other things of note:

Valleyfair's GM does actually read the feedback people leave and will occasionally even give fans backstage tours. He's made comments to fans about wanting a WindSeeker (although CF may have soured on them after all the trouble they've had with the one's they've bought), and not wanting to demolish any coasters to build new ones. Final decisions rest with the bean counters above him, but he's a good person to have in place since he's thinking above how many more cheese-curd stands they need.

The Amphitheater has been unusable since Wild Thing opened. So far they haven't paid for demolition, but one of the new paths in the Route 76 development dead-ends right at it, so maybe they're thinking about doing something else there. If a few minor rides were removed or relocated that's a huge area in there.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 25th, 2014, 9:42 am

Awesome -- thanks for all of the updates! Exciting changes ahead for sure (I may not recognize Valley Fair the next time I'm due to go there compared to the last time I was there 7 years ago)!!

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » June 3rd, 2014, 12:18 pm

Application before the city of Shakopee to replace the neon sign with an animated LED model.

Interesting picture on Twitter. Orange utility markings are going up around Valleyfair. In the approximate boundaries where a Soak City expansion would logically be.
https://twitter.com/CooperPedersen/stat ... 01/photo/1

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 11th, 2014, 3:15 pm

New rides at the Soak City Waterpark. I think we saw this coming with the closure of the Imax.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rpark.html

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » September 11th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Breakers Pipeline: Riders stand on a 65-foot-tall platform above four tube slides. When the floor drops, riders go through a series of drops, twists and turns.

Breakers Plunge: Two speed slides that drop riders nearly straight down for 90 feet.
:shock:

My acrophobia just kicked in

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 12th, 2014, 11:20 am

The trapdoor slights aren't for the claustrophobic either, but they're pretty thrilling. When you're first dropped you're basically in a free-fall until the slide starts to curve. Since this wasn't as much as previous rumors, there's speculation that they're either saving money for a new coaster next year or there's a phase two coming in the future.

The speed slides are roughly the height of the ones at Noah's Ark.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 8th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » June 2nd, 2015, 8:08 am

Documents have been submitted to the Army Corps of Engineers requesting permits to fill wetlands on the west side of the park to make a separate parking lot for Soak City. Likely this means the demise of Excalibur.

It's also been noted that Excalibur's second train has been sitting out and not put on the tracks. Possibly they plan to cannibalize it for any spare parts they might need this season, rather than ordering new ones, or else send it to another park as a spare.

http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Portals/5 ... 04059P.pdf

Rumors for the location of a major new coaster have been 1) Excalibur, 2) The employee parking areas around Renegade, and 3) To the right of the gate and into the parking lot, once the Dinosaurs Alive! franchise expires. These seems to eliminate possiblity 1 and strengthen 2 and 3.
Last edited by Mdcastle on June 2nd, 2015, 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 2nd, 2015, 8:13 am

Great, now what will I ride when my friends decide "You know what's a great idea? To get soaked on Thunder Canyon and walk around in wet clothes the rest of the day!"

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 15th, 2015, 4:59 pm

1) The "Minnesota Valley Railroad" is down for the rest of the season because the engine blew.
2) Cedar Fair is trying to move more towards permanent haunt structures. A new permanent home for Chateau Du Damne is being built behind Mad Mouse. Last year was notable as the debut of "Skeleton Key", an extra charge, Blackout style interactive experience in some of the haunts.
3) Construction markings are appearing around the amphitheater. The amphitheater has been essentially useless ever since Wild Thing was built with it's noisy brake run, and Hellside Farm, which previously utilized the area, is moving, so rumors are it will be demolished this fall. There's wild speculation a dark ride may be going here. Cedar Fair wants to build one in each of their parks, and this area would be a good physical fit in a prime location.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 11th, 2015, 12:04 am

Coming next year- A Larson flyers in the spot where Chaos used to be, and a motorcycle stunt show at the amphitheater. The stage has already been demolished. The general manager had wanted it gone since he took over since it was useless as it didn't meet ADA requirements and musical acts didn't want to perform because of the noise of Wild Thing. If this sounds underwhelming for the 40th anniversary you're not the only one thinking that. Rumors are the new parking lot may still be in the works which would be fantastically expensive so they may be saving up their money.

Anyone that wants to go to the haunt- go on Friday. It's empty on Fridays and a mob scene on Saturdays. They have "No Boo" necklaces you can buy now if you want to ride stuff and enjoy the atmosphere without costumed teenagers screaming in your ear.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 11th, 2015, 12:21 am

Aww, Chaos is gone? I loved Chaos. I guess I haven't been to Valleyfair in a couple years. Where would a new parking lot even go?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 11th, 2015, 7:37 am

Chance Chaos rides were a lot of fun, but unfortunately they had a bad history of maintenance and safety issues including a serious accident in 2001 at Michigan's Adventure, one of Valleyfair's sister parks, and Cedar Fair eventually decided to remove all of them from the chain. The new parking lot would be intended or exclusively for season passholders visiting the waterpark, and would replace Excalibur and vacant land beyond.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 11th, 2015, 11:36 am

As much as I don't like Excalibur, it'd be sad to see it replaced with a parking lot.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 11th, 2015, 2:12 pm

I really really like Excalibur, but I realize the very reason I like it - the ability to go on it three or four times in a row without waiting in line - is probably a reason the management isn't too fond of paying its operating costs.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » October 19th, 2015, 6:41 pm

New at the haunt this year, HumanE Habitat (Sci-Fi theme) replaces Camp Wekilou (summer camp theme) at the same location. Cedar Fair has no more summer camp themed mazes. A new scare zone Trails End (western theme) is added back by Renegade, and Hellside Farm has moved to make way for the amphitheater renovation.

In other news, Cedar Fair has a deal in place with EA Games which allows them to use their Plants vs Zombies, Battlefield, Need for Speed, and possibly their EA Sports properties for upcoming dark rides, each park will eventually get a dark ride, but they're not in a big hurry to start installing them. And Valleyfair is quite pleased with the response to last year's investment in new waterslides.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » June 19th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Latest rumors: The Asylum is moving from it's home in Bumper Cars and it's not moving to a permanent haunt structure. Normally when haunt moves it's because the location is unavailable for construction. Important looking people have been seen taking measurements of the building. With the announced goal of having dark rides in all Cedar Fair parks and these developments, rumor is a dark ride will replace Bumper Cars for next year.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 15th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Latest Rumors: Enterprise and SuperCat will leave at the end of the year for a year long refurbishment, and will return in new locations in 2018. Cedar Fair has gone "picking" in Europe looking for good deals on rides and rumors are one of them will go in Enterprise's spot next year. A permit has been pulled for a new permanent haunt structure, no one knows what or where, but London Terror in it's tent-like structure burned down in the off-season. Markings have been seen by the parking lot, I'm assuming the most logical thing is something more permanent for a security checkpoint.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 5th, 2016, 11:41 am

Enterprise to be permanently retired, and park expansion plans will be announced mid-August.

https://www.valleyfair.com/what-s-new/e ... /?mobile=0