Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Re: Northside - General Topics

Postby tabletop » April 30th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Hell Yeah! Although the HPC can still throw a few curve balls, don't go celebrating just yet...

And David, I remember when I was a kid waiving to the lady sitting on top of that car at the Camden salvage yard, every time we'd drive by. And Hawthorn may have one of my favorite buildings in the city, that old painted brownstone walk up on 26th avenue and 4th street. Looks like the buildings we all wish this city was full of.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 30th, 2014, 9:40 pm

And Hawthorn may have one of my favorite buildings in the city, that old painted brownstone walk up on 26th avenue and 4th street. Looks like the buildings we all wish this city was full of.
I'm guessing this is the one you're taking about. I actually don't think it's painted. I believe it's Mississippi River mud blocks or something like that. There are few homes scattered around Hawthorne that are constructed with those large blocks.

http://goo.gl/maps/h25ce
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 30th, 2014, 9:44 pm

This was good news to hear.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 30th, 2014, 9:48 pm

They're concrete, and listed by the HPC. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hpc/lan ... 0_rowhouse
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 30th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Moves to HPC to for demo of historic resource vote. I doubt the HPC would recommend demoing a staff recommended historic resource. Some folks have already applied for historic landmark status.
Probably a good idea to lobby the HPC anyway, in case it turns out that their reflexive "preserve everything always" stance only applies south of Hennepin.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » May 1st, 2014, 1:19 am

They're concrete, and listed by the HPC. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/hpc/lan ... 0_rowhouse
Painted brick, concrete block. I was workin with nostalgic memory's there, sometimes details get misplaced for warmer tones... But holy cow would you look at those things from the 30's! I bet you all the fire places are filled in brick ;)

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 10th, 2014, 10:39 am

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » May 12th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Never made it to Halek's, but I was told it's now Cliff 'n Norms, a dive sports bar.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 15th, 2014, 8:05 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/259380571.html

"Paint protest targets West Broadway buildings"

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 15th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Still waiting for Minneapolis Residents for Responsible Development or whatever those busy bodies call themselves to get all worked up over this one

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » May 15th, 2014, 8:30 pm

no they only care about the wedge

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 19th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I think there's a thread for Linden Yard--- Locked! http://finance-commerce.com/2014/05/lin ... oper-says/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 19th, 2014, 9:14 pm

You know that entire area could become like a neighborhood..

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 26th, 2014, 9:05 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 07191.html
New housing off-limits for many in north Minneapolis

Article by: ERIC ROPER , Star Tribune

Some fear income caps for buyers will further constrain Minneapolis’ poorest area

Hundreds of houses and apart­ments are rising in north Minneapolis, thanks to ample government help in the wake of the foreclosure crisis and the May 2011 tornado. But not just anyone can live in them.

Major public intervention in the city’s poorest area has created a new generation of housing stock that some worry is overly restricted to lower-income people. Private developers still can’t generate enough revenue to build without subsidies in many neighborhoods, but the government programs that help them come with income restrictions.

City records show that just six of 501 new and proposed apartment units on the North Side are open to people of all incomes. About 76 percent of the total apartments will be limited to renters making 50 percent of the area median income, about $29,000 for a single person.

[...]
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 26th, 2014, 10:24 pm

That was a great article, brings a great point that we may be concentrating poverty all over again. SMH

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » May 27th, 2014, 9:53 am

First thing is that I live in Jordan and am a board member on the Jordan Area Community Council. I've had to make votes on many of these projects over the past year. Most of the outcry for a moratorium on affordable housing in north is coming from north of Lowry and the Folwell neighborhood in particular. There have been no apartment projects proposed or built north of Lowry in recent memory.

The market in north is far more varied than these new apartments (tax credits), Green Homes North (city/federal subsidy) and the on-the-wane NSP (federal subsidy) funded rehabs. First look at the SFH side of the debate. If the median household income in Near North is $32k and Camden is 45k then a requirement for $89k for a family of three in a Green Homes North Property we will see an increase in income levels over time. Green Homes North properties are selling in the $150-200K range, which will require an income around Camden's median if the person has little to no debt. Higher income individuals will only be forced out of the market if they insist on buying new construction.

The article completely disregards the rest of the SFH market apart from mentioning the $81k median sale price. We have an extremely bifurcated market in north. What I found out when looking for homes in 2010 was that I could get a much nicer home in my budget here then anywhere else in the city. There were many homes in both north, northeast and south going for around $100-150K when I bought. The housing market in that segment is in much better condition in North than in northeast or south Minneapolis. The couple in question probably wanted to stay in Victory and the homes there aren't giant. If they wanted larger homes in a stable neighborhood they would've had to look south in Homewood or Old Highland neighborhoods.

On the other end of the spectrum you have properties bought up by slumlords that are not in good shape at all. A few slumlords cause headaches with perpetual bad tenants. In my belief the tax credit subsidized apartment buildings are key to creating an alternative to the poorly maintained rental SFHs that dominate the northside rental market. You will also be increasing density along major corridors like Broadway and Penn. Increased density will create the foot traffic and the eyes on the street that hopefully will kick start new businesses. Most of the projects in Jordan are going near that intersection.

Right now the Broadway Crescent is under construction, up the block Gateway Lofts is completed and Broadway Flats and Alliance Housing's 29th/Penn Apartments will be under construction in late 2014/early 2015. With income limit of $29k for a single person (and higher for a couple or family) we will be targeting the income levels right at the $30k household income in Jordan. I don't know the specific limits for a family of three on these projects, but that would definitely be above the current median.

Before my time here, the city cleared out much of the Broadway curve and Penn Avenue is full of missing teeth. The rest of the neighborhood is pot marked by vacant lots. The tornado further damaged the stretch of Penn from Golden Valley Road to Lowry that could least handle the damage. Green Homes North and tax credit-subsidized apartment projects are our current means of building new housing stock. What would market rate apartments look like in north? Who would build them? If the only means to build quality homes/apartments is to subsidize them then I think that's direction we must go. An income limit at purchase or lease signing does not limit an individual's potential to increase their income over time in stable housing.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » May 27th, 2014, 10:51 am

This interactive map of property values is relevant to this topic, although it covers a much broader area than just North Minneapolis. Note that this is a raw value map -- you can mouse-over to get value per acre and some other info, though. While property values are toward the low end of the spectrum on the North side, they still mostly fall in the range of $500k to $1m per acre (on par with or higher than many suburbs).

http://www.minnpost.com/data/2014/05/ma ... ties-metro

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 16th, 2014, 12:09 pm

CM Yang has nominated the two buildings threatened by Kemps for inclusion as historic landmarks. Staff recommend approval:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 128239.pdf

Hooray! (Hopefully.)

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 4th, 2014, 11:11 am

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I was in North on Saturday night for the first time in a few months- what's the large structure being built in the Walgreen's lot on West Broadway?

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » August 4th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Walgreens is moving their store to that new, street fronting, building.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]