Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby Nathan » May 14th, 2014, 1:36 am

So we're paying $100M to make the Target Center look like the Target Center giving birth to an IKEA.
Or... $20m. 80% of the budget is in function and interior spaces...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 14th, 2014, 3:03 am

The exterior is where they likely cut the most from the original budget estimate. I realize the inside and the experience for the fan is the priority, but I think this project's renovation is being shortchanged. It should have been done right. Even a 150 million budget for a project of this scope is modest. Of course , I'm sure city officials area acutely aware of the public's perception this is excessive spending given the subsidy of the Viking's stadium. That said, I think the positive is the architect's are doing the best they can to make it look attractive and it will look somewhat better than the original design.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 14th, 2014, 7:09 am

i prefer the previous schematics as well. yes the exteriors suffer from the budget cutting. target center was built on a very tight site and this makes the building overbearing, blocky. the choice of exterior only added to this. the holy trinity of dt mpls architectural mistakes, city center, block e and target center.

adding glass open up the massing. shelf life of this is 20 yrs. nobody expects this to be a 40 yr solution. we'll be back here in 15 years talking about a new arena downtown just wait.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 14th, 2014, 8:49 am

I am actually impressed they are still making this much happen. I am not sure people are realizing that with the budget cuts we were close to having no significant exterior changes at all! That corner and 1st side are vast improvements.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2014, 8:53 am

I will reserve judgement until I see the 7th St & 1st Ave corner. I know the primary entrance and attractive facade is over on 6th, but as someone who used to walk or take the bus on northbound 7th every day, that side matters just as much. The Block E renovation will make a difference, as there won't be the ghosts of Hard Rock and Gameworks past hanging around, but that corner of Target Center should still be made attractive. There's a bend in the street there that gives that corner of Target Center an even more overwhelming presence in the area. It's currently blank walls at the street level (and extra seat storage) with giant ads for Tires Plus up above.

Here's what you see today from Hennepin & 7th: http://goo.gl/maps/POaOv

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2014, 9:07 am

Will there be anything to enhance the 2nd Ave side?
Edit: How did I never notice that seat storage? Yikes that's tacky. I always pay attention to the big old drive-through loading dock on the 7th side.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » May 14th, 2014, 11:34 am

along the lines of paying attention to detail in renderings -- i suspect that these were very fast initial concept renderings used to get project buy-in. For example, the 6th st sidewalk is actually a ramp to Target Field plaza and is not present in the rendering. Unless there are definitive plans to change this, in which case there would be no direct ballpark funneling from 1st ave?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » May 14th, 2014, 11:50 am

along the lines of paying attention to detail in renderings -- i suspect that these were very fast initial concept renderings used to get project buy-in. For example, the 6th st sidewalk is actually a ramp to Target Field plaza and is not present in the rendering. Unless there are definitive plans to change this, in which case there would be no direct ballpark funneling from 1st ave?
Right – I'd think most people (at least on this forum, not necessarily the general public,) don't expect the first render released to be exactly the final result. I doubt they'd be changing that ramp... but so far, this is the best projection we have to go on. Here's hoping it keeps improving.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » May 23rd, 2014, 11:56 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/05/mor ... -makeover/

The best news since seeing the renderings last week is that Mortenson has been named to lead the transformation of Target Center. That strange paneled look on the outside shell seems bad enough, perhaps wiser minds at Mortenson will prevail and limit the projected damage.

Also, please bring a design remedy for the oddly protruding box that awkwardly juts out from the superstructure. Please Mortenson, save this from what surely could be a hideous architectural monstrosity.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » May 26th, 2014, 9:36 am

Please Mortenson, save this from what surely could be a hideous architectural monstrosity.
Given what the Target Center is and the budget I don't think Mortenson or anyone else can save the Target Center from being a hideous architectural monstrosity.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 26th, 2014, 11:43 am

Given what the Target Center is and the budget I don't think Mortenson or anyone else can save the Target Center from being a hideous architectural monstrosity.
:|

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 27th, 2014, 11:34 am

Please Mortenson, save this from what surely could be a hideous architectural monstrosity.
SO love all the Debbie Downers on this page! Jeez. You'd think there was some open pit sewage treatment plant being proposed here... The Target Center, love it or hate it, is a part of the Minneapolis urban fabric. Aside from going back 20+ years and having it be built differently, or funding another $500+ million arena, it is what it is. But I for one am excited for the transformation of what many of you consider to be a hideous architectural monstrosity. :roll:

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2014, 11:41 am

Thank you! This is what I've been trying to get across. This isn't going to ruin the city, in fact right now it's worse than it can ever be. It has those little square wavy windows on it... just randomly. I've seen centers similar to what Mortenson is going for.

My out of this world optimistic hope is that they do something curvy with the wood. Maybe looking like barclays center http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n_side.jpg
Last edited by grant1simons2 on May 27th, 2014, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 27th, 2014, 11:47 am

And honestly, there aren't that many urban arenas of this type getting really beautiful or impressive renovations--there are some, but they're really the exceptions to the rule. It'll never be worse than how Madison Square Garden looks on the outside: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/64090029.jpg

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2014, 11:52 am

Barclays center is probably the best basketball arena right now from a design stand point.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 27th, 2014, 12:16 pm

The only thing worse than MSG on the outside is Penn Station on the inside. So sad to think what used to be there

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 27th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Barclays center is probably the best basketball arena right now from a design stand point.
It also cost 1 billion which is ridiculous for an arena.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 27th, 2014, 4:06 pm

We just need to find some Russian oligarchs to pay for our arenas and we'll be golden.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 27th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Well once the Norwegian house opens up maybe they'll give us some of their billions

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » May 27th, 2014, 8:33 pm

SO love all the Debbie Downers on this page! Jeez. You'd think there was some open pit sewage treatment plant being proposed here... The Target Center, love it or hate it, is a part of the Minneapolis urban fabric. Aside from going back 20+ years and having it be built differently, or funding another $500+ million arena, it is what it is. But I for one am excited for the transformation of what many of you consider to be a hideous architectural monstrosity. :roll:
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer at all here, just realistic. I think the Target Center after renovation is going to be much better than what we currently have, but let's face it, that doesn't take much. And your right the only way to really improve the Target Center to either A. go back 20 years or B. Drop somewhere north of $500+ million neither of which is going to happen any time soon.