Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby IllogicalJake » May 28th, 2014, 8:39 am

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer at all here, just realistic.
Why is negativity "realistic" but positivity never is? Love that logic and attitude. :)

I'm not a fan of the material used in the exterior wrap at all, but I'm realistically hoping it looks better in person, or at least some clearer renders will be available before that point. I think the "glass cube" opens the entrance area up nicely and makes good use of that corner. I really hope the sides we don't see can be improved in some way that opens up to the street more, too, but I'm not expecting them to add any new gates or anything.

Overall, I'm really just looking forward to construction. Even before they make a single change to the interior, a fresh exterior can really change the first impression it leaves on visitors.

Oh, and I don't mean to insult having a negative attitude. I have quite enough to go around... I just think it's a little early this one.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 1st, 2014, 8:43 am

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer at all here, just realistic.
Why is negativity "realistic" but positivity never is? Love that logic and attitude. :)
I'm a Minnesota sports fan, it's been beaten into me to expect the worst.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 1st, 2014, 7:13 pm

It'll never be worse than how Madison Square Garden looks on the outside: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/64090029.jpg
Don't you mean Penn Station? :)

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » September 9th, 2014, 8:54 pm

What the hold up on this one? Or when was this getting started? I know they are going to do it in phases.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 9th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I think they're going to start on this after the Mayo Clinic reno and after the season for the Wolves. The Lynx just finished the season sadly :( and now the T-pups start in a month so not much time to do anything

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2014, 9:18 pm

I see most of the interior work being finished before they try and work on the outside facade. The 6th and 1st corner will have to be done when there are no ballgames, if there is such a break between the 2 leagues. 6th street maybe a chore if they have to deal with keeping the approach to the Twins Plaza open or covered. The back and 7th street sides should be the easiest to get started on. More room and they can close off 2nd.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 9th, 2014, 9:26 pm

From May 16th-
The full Minneapolis City Council will vote May 23 on whether to approve the design team selection, the next step in the process to update the 23-year-old venue. Preliminary estimates say the work will take 18-24 months to complete.
Timberwolves and Lynx senior vice president of marketing Ted Johnson told FOXSportsNorth.com recently he hoped construction would begin sometime this summer.
http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/la ... ity-051314
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 12th, 2014, 9:12 am

According to Sid:
Regarding the Target Center's $97 million overhaul, the entrance for the Timberwolves and Lynx arena will be at the corner of Sixth Street and First Avenue. Design work is already in progress and construction should start next year no later than June 15, and the building should be ready by Nov. 16.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 12th, 2014, 3:49 pm

According to Sid:
Regarding the Target Center's $97 million overhaul, the entrance for the Timberwolves and Lynx arena will be at the corner of Sixth Street and First Avenue. Design work is already in progress and construction should start next year no later than June 15, and the building should be ready by Nov. 16.
I've learned to take Sid's word with a mega grain of salt. I'll believe it when I see it. I have no doubt the main entrance will move. But that should all ready be under construction. They are way behind schedule in my mind!!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 27th, 2014, 2:06 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... arget.html

So looks like we know why its taken so long.. construction prices.

Also sid might've been right
As of December, renovation plans for the city-owned Target Center called for relocating the arena's main entrance to the corner of First Avenue and Sixth Street and replacing parts of the the concrete exterior with glass. Other changes were to include upgrades to the scoreboard, restrooms, suite level and other fan amenities, as well opening up the skyway level to create a indoor plaza.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 27th, 2014, 2:44 pm

I talked to someone at Target Center last week about the renovation and the news was troubleing at best. The plan (informally) is to do some of the work over the summer next year, then close for several months in 2016 to finish up what is remaining.
Not sure if htis is related to the major re-do, but they did some work on one of the concourses already with some upgrades to the vending areas and are upgrading the athletic club, but the majority of this is quite a ways off. I don't see how the dollars will be nearly enough to complete the job, especially if we are talking an off and on 2 year construction cycle.
They'd be better served to have the Wolves and Lynx play at the Barn for a year (they certainly wouldn't need any more seating than that), and get all of the construction done at one time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 27th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Or they could play at the other world-class arena we have in the metro, either on a temporary or permanent basis.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » October 27th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Or they could play at the other world-class arena we have in the metro, either on a temporary or permanent basis.
Yeah seriously. Just tear down Target Center and save some dough.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 27th, 2014, 3:20 pm

That was a legitimate plan a couple years ago, ever since the 90s Minneapolis City Council botched landing the NHL expansion team inside the existing arena, thereby causing an arena capacity glut in the market which completely decimated cash flow for operations of Target Center.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 27th, 2014, 5:45 pm

They'd be better served to have the Wolves and Lynx play at the Barn for a year (they certainly wouldn't need any more seating than that), and get all of the construction done at one time.
The Wolves have averaged more attendance per game than Williams Arena's maximum capacity four of the last five seasons....

As far as moving the franchise to St. Paul, I personally do not think that it would be good for the Wolves.

The Wild have done a great job as positioning themselves as being a family destination. Downtown St. Paul is ideal for family friendly entertainment. The Children's Science Museum is across the street, low volumes of automobile traffic, many middle of the road dining options and a plethora of Peanuts character statues.

The NBA skews a bit more to cosmopolitan tastes. Not to mention that most of the season ticket holders live in western suburbs. The NBA is also a more stable business. Like the NFL, a lucrative TV deal basically guarantees a profit for ownership. The NHL on the other hand requires strong gate receipts to remain viable. The Thrashers/Jets moved from the 8th largest U.S. market to the 8th largest Canadian market because getting people through the doors is tantamount to professional hockey. If I was making strategic regional decisions and had to choose one team, I would pick the NBA every time.

As far as needlessly duplicating major indoor venues, we should probably reassess the need for two metro area arenas when the Wild invariably come asking hat in hand for money to upgrade the X. I will bet one dollar that neither the City of Saint Paul nor Ramsey County will be willing to pay for upgrades. The state will be asked to pony-up. That will be the time to determine whether or not having an ersatz recreation district is worth a state subsidy.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 28th, 2014, 6:34 am

I think the city of Minneapolis needs to keep Target Center. It brings in way to many people to the city. Just think of the Garth Brooks concerts alone 11 shows completely sold out. That brings a lot of people into town and is a huge revenue boost for hotels and bars. And the city gets a good chunk of that. And that is just one example. Target Center is always busy, and is a great asset. It just needs an upgrade.

And I would bet a nice dollar that the city of St Paul will do what ever is necessary to keep the Wild there. The X is much to valuable to them.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 28th, 2014, 7:56 am

if by doing whatever necessary you mean begging the state year after year to take xcel off their books, yea, they've done a good job. dt st paul basically wouldn't exist without state handouts.

god do we need to have the tiresome dual arena debate again.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 28th, 2014, 2:20 pm

"Construction costs put squeeze on Target Center project"
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/280684602.html

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 28th, 2014, 5:00 pm

They aren't paying Kevin Love anymore. I found the extra money!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 28th, 2014, 9:56 pm

If they don't have the money, don't do it. What are these articles supposed to invoke, hand-wringing. Hardly.