Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby FISHMANPET » June 11th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I've seen a few trains that say "Target Field" and then today I saw a train that said "Downtown Minneapolis" so I wonder if they're still deciding.

I also saw a guy run to the East Bank platform and flag down a passing Campus Connector, trying to catch it there. Didn't think that one through all the way buddy.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 8:07 am

I've seen a few trains that say "Target Field" and then today I saw a train that said "Downtown Minneapolis" so I wonder if they're still deciding.

I also saw a guy run to the East Bank platform and flag down a passing Campus Connector, trying to catch it there. Didn't think that one through all the way buddy.
I saw a eastbound train with a destination of Target Field, so not everything is fixed.
I'm not 100% sure how it's done, but the signage is a very manual process. Each driver has a control panel in the driver's area. I'd guess some of those panels are more behind in being updated than others. Although I've only seen "Downtown Minneapolis" on Blue Line Bombardiers, I've seen both "Target Field" and "Downtown E/Metrodome" show up west-bound, and I'm not surprised if there are other variations, too.

Hopefully they'll have that all settled by opening day. Otherwise the lack of consistency will really bug me, more than it already does in the Bombardier/Siemons cars.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 8:24 am

For those that really feel an anti-Green-Line bias from MPR, it might be useful to see how much support MPR's The Current has thrown behind the project, and also that MetroTransit has been a big sponsor leading up to the line's opening. There doesn't seem to be too many hurt feelings among the group.

METRO Green Line Opening Day: Where (and when) the bands are

And for everyone out and about that day, MPR and The Current will be a part of the celebration going on at Union Depot. Hope to see lots of people. 8-)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 12th, 2014, 8:37 am

Looks like there will be some protesters too, LOL:

http://www.twincities.com/transportatio ... sters-well

mulad

Postby mulad » June 12th, 2014, 9:24 am

For those that really feel an anti-Green-Line bias from MPR, it might be useful to see how much support MPR's The Current has thrown behind the project...
Yeah, I was going to mention a while back that Steve Seel and Jill Riley have both been very excited about the line when they bring it up in morning news discussions. Bob Collins who does the News Cut blog is also heard on the station in the afternoon, and he's been much more cranky about it. Note: His Twitter icon has long been an image of Carl Fredricksen from Up, though it is currently an image of balloons from the movie.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 12th, 2014, 9:38 am

that "protest" article from the pi press is good for a throwback thursday. reads like the arguments from the 90's when hiawatha line was being debated. a lot of minnesotans still think this is small place and transit is only for really "big" cities on the east coast.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 12th, 2014, 9:44 am

That drivers ed bit is golden. Audible lol.
Towns!

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 12th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Alright, yeah, just saw three Green Line trains come by in a row, same direction, with different signage. "Downtown Eas/Metrodome","Target Field","Downtown Minneapolis"

Also, three Green Lines came by before a Blue Line. They really are putting a lot of trains out there.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Looks like there will be some protesters too, LOL:

http://www.twincities.com/transportatio ... sters-well
Protest the protestors? That would be fun.

On a more serious note, anyone from urbanmsp going to any event(s) on Saturday? Either the concerts on either end or the Summit pub crawl thing?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 12th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Saturday's a packed day, but I figured I'll roughly schedule my day as follows:

10-2pm: Do Green line stuff
2-8pm: Sleep
8-12am: Day of Familia (it's a skateboarding thing.)
12am-wee hours: Northern Spark

So if anyone's going to the Green Line festivities in the morning/early afternoon, let me know!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 12th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Bob Tatreau plans to drive from his Woodbury home to St. Paul's Frogtown neighborhood Saturday morning to protest the debut of the state's second light-rail service.
Why.... There is absolutely no point.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 12th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I suppose there has been a somewhat organized backlash to transit in Washington County. If you take a look at the Facebook pages for both the Gateway and Red Rock corridors, you will see a lot of anti-transit postings from a group called "Washington County Watchdogs". I would imagine they will try to spread their cause over to Ramsey County as they are conducting the Rush Line study now.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 12th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I'm sure he'll be really popular in Frogtown. Nice that he chose that specific area.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » June 12th, 2014, 8:19 pm

I'll be coming from Little Canada with my cousin, to celebrate more trains.

Just because it doesn't directly serve me, does not make it useless. I wish some people could get that through their heads. If the Blue Line can get a 37% farebox recovery ratio, I bet this could get about 40-45% at least.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 12th, 2014, 9:19 pm

There was definitely a lot of traffic on the line today. I started seeing 3-car trains again, so that's good.

At one point, there were two trains parked at Union Depot with kind of odd destinations on their message boards -- one was cycling "Downtown" / "Minneapolis", and the other was "Downtown Eas" (missing the "t"). I will say that there are some services out there where the destination board message changes as the vehicle travels along its route. It might make sense for a westbound train to start out with "Minneapolis" as a destination, then get more specific, such as when it gets to Westgate station on the border. Can't say that I understand the point of a "Downtown East" destination, but whatever.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 12th, 2014, 10:08 pm

I suppose there has been a somewhat organized backlash to transit in Washington County. If you take a look at the Facebook pages for both the Gateway and Red Rock corridors, you will see a lot of anti-transit postings from a group called "Washington County Watchdogs". I would imagine they will try to spread their cause over to Ramsey County as they are conducting the Rush Line study now.
Maybe I'll wonder over to Washington County every time a road or highway projects is being proposed or breaking ground? Same for any cookie-cutter greenfield development projects. I'll fight every project that county wins that doesn't benefit me, myself and I.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 12th, 2014, 11:42 pm

TcMetro,

I lived in Washington county for 5 years. Let me just say never ever again. There is absolutely no support for transit unless you're in Stillwater. It's just no fun being there, future isn't very bright.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » June 12th, 2014, 11:43 pm

At one point, there were two trains parked at Union Depot with kind of odd destinations on their message boards -- one was cycling "Downtown" / "Minneapolis", and the other was "Downtown Eas" (missing the "t"). I will say that there are some services out there where the destination board message changes as the vehicle travels along its route. It might make sense for a westbound train to start out with "Minneapolis" as a destination, then get more specific, such as when it gets to Westgate station on the border.
Why not just "DT/DTWN MPLS" and "DT ST PAUL"? It seems simple enough, although maybe some people might wonder what DTWN and DT mean initally if they never have seen the abbreviation before.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 13th, 2014, 6:50 am

I feel like DWTN should be clear enough, even to visitors.

Also, I think the best way to go would to have westbound/northbound trains say DWTN Minneapolis until Downtown East, then switch to Target Field, and eastbound trains say DWTN St. Paul until the Capitol, then switch to Union Depot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » June 13th, 2014, 7:24 am

TcMetro,

I lived in Washington county for 5 years. Let me just say never ever again. There is absolutely no support for transit unless you're in Stillwater. It's just no fun being there, future isn't very bright.
Not just transit. I was visiting family last week and decided (foolishly) to walk from Central Park north to find lunch. I used to walk as a kid and didn't realize how terrible it really was in Woodbury. It took me a full four minutes to cross from the SW corner of Radio and City Centre Dr to the NE corner. Minimum 45 second wait for every walk signal, and a pause in the median because the signaling is clearly meant to allow going that far and no more. The median that serves NO PURPOSE but to widen the road by a good thirty feet. And shade? Pfft, forget about it.

It's small wonder that some people in Woodbury don't understand the concept of not driving every single time they leave the house without their jogging shorts.