Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
twincitizen

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby twincitizen » June 17th, 2014, 9:31 am

So Martin Sabo is going to be holding a press conference addressing the SWLRT. You can't be for sure what he's going to say, but I think this is probably a good preview of his comments.
I'm no fan of the Kenilworth alignment, though I begrudgingly accept that we need to move forward and build this line, but WOW there are some insane people commenting on that "LRT Done Right" Facebook page. No shortage of anti-LRT right-wingers (and some anti-LRT Democrats I'm sure), but there are like 5 other flavors of crazy commenting on that page.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 17th, 2014, 9:56 am

Never underestimate the power of a few rich, connected people to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
"Who rescued whom!"

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2014, 11:19 am

Lots of meetings tonight. City council will be revisiting public opinion that they took a few weeks ago. This all leads up to the municipal consent

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 17th, 2014, 11:36 am

Lots of meetings tonight. City council will be revisiting public opinion that they took a few weeks ago. This all leads up to the municipal consent
Are you going to be checking it out?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2014, 11:52 am

I will be at the Eden Prairie one

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 17th, 2014, 4:07 pm

So Martin Sabo is going to be holding a press conference addressing the SWLRT. You can't be for sure what he's going to say, but I think this is probably a good preview of his comments.
White privilege in action.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 17th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 17th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Aaaand the trophy goes to Nick. Did you know that pertinent piece of info or spend an hour on GISmo?
Last edited by seanrichardryan on June 17th, 2014, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 17th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Wow, well done Nick.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 17th, 2014, 5:11 pm

You guys have never clicked around the lakes on Hennepin County's website??
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 17th, 2014, 8:51 pm

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 72771.html

Okay so sorry about my city, vote won't be delayed too long. Southwest Transit is actually an awesome bus service and they hopefully will welcome the train with open arms.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 17th, 2014, 8:53 pm

I have clicked around the properties adjacent to the SWLRT alignment, and 90% of those people brought their properties after the route was designated as a potential light rail route when Hennepin County Regional Railroad Authority purchased it.

It's kind of galling as a Minneapolis resident that our city council is going into bat for people who are complaining that something long planned and well advertised near their properties is actually happening.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 17th, 2014, 9:01 pm

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... 72771.html

Okay so sorry about my city, vote won't be delayed too long. Southwest Transit is actually an awesome bus service and they hopefully will welcome the train with open arms.
The relationship between SW Transit and the Met Council is incredibly strained. If you read through the board packets, there's a lot of the "us v.s. them" mentality.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 18th, 2014, 8:46 am

SWLRT ridership will easily exceed SW Transit ridership for the communities served. SW Transit had one million rides in 2013.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » June 18th, 2014, 9:54 am

I'm an SWT user, and I would like to see SWT transition into a rush hour express service with all day local service, which is pretty much the opposite of what there is today. With SWLRT running, there's no reason to continue the ~hourly 698 (Chaska/Chanhassen/EP to DT Mpls/UMN). I imagine that the 690/695 express routes (direct to DT Mpls and UMN, respectively) would still garner decent ridership during peak hours, though.

Local service and feeder lines would be in need of major upgrades, however. The route which goes past my apartment (690A, down Valley View Rd) only runs 3 or 4 trips each AM/PM, at poor frequencies and at times only convenient for rush hour commuters. All day routes along Valley View Rd and Anderson Lakes Pkwy as feeders into SW Station would be useful; the 690E circulator could probably have boosted frequencies as well.

I'm less familiar with the density (I use the term loosely) patterns in Chanhassen and Chaska, but I believe the local routes that do exist also tend to run only during AM/PM rush hours and with limited trips. LRT feeders would be a MUST for those communities.

If SWT is unwilling to make these transitions, what leverage does the Met Council have? Is there any possibility of SWT being (wholly or partially) "opted-in" to the MetroTransit system? I enjoy the quality of SWT's system, as do many other riders, but most are not aware of the large subsidies and operational inefficiencies that the opt-out providers introduce into the transit system - many likely believe that SWT is more efficient than if it were run by MetroTransit.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 19th, 2014, 10:17 pm

As expected Sabo joins his daughter in saying the cost doesn't meet the benefit to the city.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/263900001.html

Though reading through he makes it seem like if freight were moved he and his daughter would be fine with it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 20th, 2014, 10:45 am

Though reading through he makes it seem like if freight were moved he and his daughter would be fine with it.
Yeah, see, that's why all of this is completely disingenuous. Worried about harm to lakes? Run it at grade. Saying Northsiders are gullible ignoramuses who are easily duped by slick politicians promising jobs? Apparently, that problem mysteriously disappears if the freight moves. It will destroy parkland? Again, 220 LRT trains at grade is ok but not six freight trains.

I know we have some strong disagreements about this line but I think we can all agree that the LRT Done Right group is simply looking out for local wealthy property owners. Which is fine but don't claim to be concerned about other people, especially Northsiders.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 24th, 2014, 1:24 am

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » June 24th, 2014, 5:52 am

If this goes forward will it pretty much seal the deal on there never being a route through uptown?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 24th, 2014, 6:11 am

An LRT through uptown to downtown? Yes, there won't be probably never. But LRT through Midtown, or street car to downtown from uptown? I see it probably accelerates it.