Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Matt
Metrodome

Re: Target Field Station

Postby Matt » June 13th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Great shot!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Yeah, quite lovely.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » June 14th, 2014, 2:22 am

Fantastic!

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 14th, 2014, 5:44 pm

So we boarded at platform 2 and the guy in the neon vest told us that most days it won't be in use. We also noticed that if you take the stairs up(from 5th ave) you have to go to the far entrance( right)in order to swipe your card. The "entrance" at the top left of stairs seems marked exit only. Just seems silly.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 14th, 2014, 5:49 pm

We also noticed that if you take the stairs up(from 5th ave) you have to go to the far entrance( right)in order to swipe your card.
Seems similar to how I approach Downtown East on most days, from the east going toward Target Field. You have to walk all the way across the station to get to a ticket machine.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 14th, 2014, 6:09 pm

We also noticed that if you take the stairs up(from 5th ave) you have to go to the far entrance( right)in order to swipe your card.
Seems similar to how I approach Downtown East on most days, from the east going toward Target Field. You have to walk all the way across the station to get to a ticket machine.
Sad face.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 14th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Sad face.
*shrug* Just seems like these should be built more for anticipating people arriving from both directions, not just one, but eh...

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 15th, 2014, 6:10 pm

For the record, Tuesday's Brazil-Mexico game will be shown at the Target Field Plaza for the plaza's grand opening. I'm assuming Target Field Plaza is part of the LRT station?

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » June 19th, 2014, 8:52 am

Ok I gave this one a little time but now I have to vent- the logistics of this station are just stupid. Ticket machines not sheltered, so got poured on during the rain this morning by new platform. Missed the train by a second and sat there like a drowned rat while the driver motioned me to the next platform. So I ran to the old platform 20 yards away and jumped on, where we proceeded to sit for 3 minutes. I don't get why they need a train to stop at two platforms so close together. Makes zero sense. Also, crossing bells dinging the entire time. Plaza looks great, but light rail user experience terrible.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 19th, 2014, 9:07 am

and u can add the purely decorative canopy. never have understood that.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 19th, 2014, 9:44 am

Yeah, but Grand Central Station.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 20th, 2014, 9:49 am

Place making is important, and it does a good job of distracting from the street and the platform from the HERC in my opinion.

*I mean come on did people complain this much about the non functional arches at the DTE station?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 20th, 2014, 11:19 am

It also provides pretty decent shade.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 20th, 2014, 12:23 pm

I think it's fine. If they can put a ticket reader/swiper at the top of the stairs and to the left, I would be completely happy with it.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 20th, 2014, 1:09 pm

I mean come on did people complain this much about the non functional arches at the DTE station?

Did people ever make ridiculous comparisons of DTE station to Grand Central?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 20th, 2014, 1:21 pm

I mean come on did people complain this much about the non functional arches at the DTE station?

I think the number of people that complain about it being referred to as Grand Central on this forum outweighs the number of times that it was compared it to Grand Central. Can we stop taking old, over-eager quotes out of context and bringing it up every 3 posts yet?

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » June 20th, 2014, 1:26 pm

It also provides pretty decent shade.
Very true. But it's still just really disappointing that it offers no protection from rain. It would be relatively simple to cover. I was there for the Green Line opening and it's just silly that everyone got rained on while going from the little shelters to the train, or walking down the platform, when there's a giant canopy overhead.

It does look cool, though; I'm hopeful they'll add something at some point. But yeah; I think we could be done with the Grand Central Station comments. We all get it..

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 20th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Can we stop taking old, over-eager quotes out of context and bringing it up every 3 posts yet?
Old, over eager, and out of context? The headline in the city's paper of record 9 months ago: Transit station will be like NYC's Grand Central Terminal

http://m.startribune.com/?id=223399161

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 20th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Which was a quote said by the Twins President, and if you read carefully I think he was saying it in reference to all rail transportation being there (which isn't even true of GCT, as lot's of NYC trains go to Penn Station instead, but whatever). But either way, it was never a comment about the design of the station, or a quote from a transportation planner about the level of service provided, etc etc.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 20th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Annoying. Plenty of places around the world with above ground systems have central transit areas above ground with non functional place making structures. I could care less what some people are trying to market it as, It's a great place for MPLS especially once the other lines are functioning. Sometimes I'm not sure if people here are for transit and infrastructure in the Twin Cities or just want to bash it, and have some drama to talk about. Yes, we're way behind, but let's at least not be completely out of touch of how good we're doing for an american city of our size and all of the bureaucracy that we have to deal with. Let's promote ourselves and new projects. If the "premiere urbanist forum" in the twin cities is so negative all the time about shit, just imagine how that translates to the general public.