St. Paul Restaurant News

The Most Livable City in America™
mulad

Re: St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby mulad » June 20th, 2014, 3:22 pm

One, Two, Three Sushi in the skyway level of the US Bank building will open on Monday.

https://twitter.com/jessflem/status/480050872605761536

gcm
Nicollet Mall

Postby gcm » June 22nd, 2014, 8:43 am

The owners of the Eagle Street Grille are planning on converting the vacated College of Visual Arts building at 173 Western Avenue (corner of Western and Selby next door to The Red Cow) into a restaurant.

"We plan on transforming the space into a revitalized and renewed restaurant with an ambiance that no competitor in the are can match. From perfectly aged stead, to a variety of seafood dishes, 173 Western will be a fine dining experience with something for everyone."

There aren't many parking spots for that building, so it'll be interesting to see what problems they have getting it approved.

If this does come to fruition, Selby Avenue will become even more interesting. With The Muddy Pig, The Happy Gnome, the recent addition of Red Cow's extensive craft draft selection and, I imagine, a large selection at this proposed restaurant, Selby Avenue will become a craft draft nirvana.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 2nd, 2014, 11:29 am

The owners of the Eagle Street Grille are planning on converting the vacated College of Visual Arts building at 173 Western Avenue (corner of Western and Selby next door to The Red Cow) into a restaurant.
Excellent! More $100k waitress jobs!

mulad

Postby mulad » July 2nd, 2014, 12:41 pm

Rival House Sporting Parlour, a gastropub which apparently has some fancy wood-fired pizzas and other food items, has opened in the Doubletree Hilton in downtown. They're actually down at (almost) street level, in this spot facing Minnesota Street just north of 6th.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... l?page=all

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » July 2nd, 2014, 8:33 pm

I saw this yesterday. They should consider some signage in Town Square, if you were in the skyway you wouldn't know it was there, and I don't think many folks walk on the street in that part of downtown. What was there before -- empty space or did it have a purpose prior to this restaurant?

It looks like the 2nd floor restaurant of the DoubleTree (that has windows into Town Square) is being placed into breakfast-only service.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 3rd, 2014, 1:30 pm

Many years ago, I think that space was used as the hotels bar and casual dining. We are talking at least 20+ years ago. With the LRT I'm thinking that they see that as a possible use of that space as it has probably been used for storage, non revenue producing. With people passing by on the LRT they will see the signs and maybe walk in knowing there is a place there. Better signage in the skyway telling about the restaurant would help them a lot. The Double Tree is way past due for a refurbish and hopefully some interior walkway reorientation. After the IC is complete, we can hope for upgrade here also.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 7th, 2014, 8:54 pm

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 8th, 2014, 7:47 am

We didn't. I've been there a few times!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 9th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » July 19th, 2014, 11:20 am

I saw this place before getting off at Western Station to go to Cheng Heng: it's the only Filipino restaurant I've heard of in either city. http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2013/ ... ersity-ave

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » July 20th, 2014, 6:43 pm

I noticed that Bin Wine Bar closed and is moving to Linden hills. Anyone know if there is anything planned to go in that space? It looks like a turnkey restaurant opportunity. It seem like they left everything and just locked up the doors one night and closed up.
6th street, on that block at least is so close to becoming a destination. It'll be interesting to see how much more traffic is pulled in when "public kitchen" opens.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » July 20th, 2014, 11:06 pm

I noticed that Bin Wine Bar closed and is moving to Linden hills. Anyone know if there is anything planned to go in that space?
Nothing I've heard thus far. Bin seemed to close rather abruptly. I'm not too sad, as I've not had good experiences with their service. It shouldn't take too long to fill the space though, even if it is a bit small.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 8th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Nothing about Lynden's Soda Fountain? Jesus, fine, let a Minneapolitan tell you St Paulites to get out every once in a while.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » August 8th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Nothing about Lynden's Soda Fountain? Jesus, fine, let a Minneapolitan tell you St Paulites to get out every once in a while.
Lynden's has been around for years. Where have you been?

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 9th, 2014, 4:31 pm

What about Lyndens soda fountain? Do tell.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 9th, 2014, 4:51 pm

I'm glad to see people from further west discovering more of St. Paul, but...come on. Next week are you going to ask why nobody in St. Paul talks about the Nook? Nina's, maybe? Shish? There're plenty of great places in St. Paul that us insular non-Minneapolitans do, it turns out, actually get to without mentioning it here.;)

Going all the way back to the beginning here, I'm starting to worry about French Meadow based on purely anecdotal observation. Take lunch time today. Beautiful weather, plenty of people out. Sidewalk tables at Shish were packed, Grand Central and Italian Pie Shoppe were getting love. French Meadow looked at least half empty inside, and all of the outdoor seating was open. Has anybody heard about how their business is doing?

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 29th, 2014, 12:47 am

"We plan on transforming the space into a revitalized and renewed restaurant with an ambiance that no competitor in the are can match. From perfectly aged stead, to a variety of seafood dishes, 173 Western will be a fine dining experience with something for everyone."

There aren't many parking spots for that building, so it'll be interesting to see what problems they have getting it approved.

If this does come to fruition, Selby Avenue will become even more interesting. With The Muddy Pig, The Happy Gnome, the recent addition of Red Cow's extensive craft draft selection and, I imagine, a large selection at this proposed restaurant, Selby Avenue will become a craft draft nirvana.
I am currently working at a different restaurant in the neighborhood. Today we got a letter from a group of neighbors who are suing to try to prevent this project from getting a liquor license. Their main issue is the pressure this restaurant will put on street parking in the neighborhood. The city council has a hearing scheduled. Generally no liquor license means no restaurant.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 29th, 2014, 5:47 am

I lived half a block from the proposed Eagle Street restaurant a few years back. The residential uses in the immediate area are low income senior housing and a few apartment buildings. The home owners on Dayton, who have driveways and garages, must be behind the threatened law suit. I really hope planning staff and the city council reject their ridiculous complaints.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 18th, 2014, 2:36 pm

According to the September 17 Villager the proposed Salt Cellar restaurant at Selby/Western will not be required to provide more than 13 parking spots as part of their liquor license. The article also mentions a planned capacity of 150 diners and valet parking at the Boy Scouts of America on Marshall Avenue. The owners of Fabulous Ferns and WA Frost complain about corner bumpouts on Selby costing parking (forcing people to park legally) and would like the city to work with the YWCA on opening a portion of their lot to parking.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » September 20th, 2014, 12:27 am

If Frost and Ferns are worried about the impact of new restaurants in the neighborhood maybe they should raise their game a bit. Ferns has basically been Perkins with beer for its entire existence, and Frost has been coasting on its patio and past reputation for quite some time now.

*In the name of full disclosure I suppose I should mention that I was an employee of Frost's in the Russo/Klein era so I may have a biased opinion but I don't think their pricing model or quality has kept up with the times. I know what restaurants pay wholesale, their food markups are unjustifiable, especially given its middling quality within the fine dining realm.