Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Downtown)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
robotlollipop
Metrodome

Re: Hennepin Avenue (Downtown)

Postby robotlollipop » June 21st, 2014, 6:36 pm

Those orange cones would make me assume I can't sit there.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » June 21st, 2014, 10:47 pm

I saw a few sitting there today

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » June 22nd, 2014, 12:09 am

It's because it doesn't look very appealing. It looks kind of strange,as if it isn't done. More should be done, imo.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 22nd, 2014, 2:33 am

That's next to the old National Camera, right? If I were walking by that, I'm not sure I would know it was a park that I could go into.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 22nd, 2014, 7:55 am

It's because it doesn't look very appealing. It looks kind of strange,as if it isn't done. More should be done, imo.
looked appealing to me

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » June 23rd, 2014, 2:50 pm

Idk it just looks kind of strange, I may drive up to it if I have time today. I wouldn't know that it's a park, it just looks like a large bleacher which makes sense for sitting but there's a bleacher to nothing. I feel if more plant and flower plots were added to make it more green, even in the small place that it's in would make it more attractive.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » June 23rd, 2014, 3:02 pm

Looks like the pop-up park officially opens on July 11th.

From the Hennepin Theater District website:
Made Here and a Parklot officially
launch at Summer in the City on
Friday, July 11.
In a few weeks, we will gather on Friday, July 11 for Summer in the City from 5-7 p.m., our annual supporter thank you event. This year it is combined with the official launch of Made Here, free and open to the public from 7-midnight with music and tours. Sponsored by Andersen Windows, Made Here showcases Minnesota’s wealth of creative talent with visual displays in vacant storefronts in the vibrant downtown Cultural District. Local artists are converting nearly 40 windows and exhibition spaces into an urban walking gallery with displays ranging from the eclectic work of 27 individual artists, a Twins All-Star window, a Minnesota Arts Institute International student display and the Somali Museum of Minnesota pop-up gallery.

On the same evening, we will also unveil an exciting new component of the Cultural District, our “Parklot.” Part of the Orpheum Theatre parking lot will be playfully transformed into an arts-inspired, welcoming pop-up park that encourages people to stop, sit and enjoy their neighborhood street life. Our first Parklot will feature a living, vertical wall of plants, edible gardens, colorful recycled seating and a stage for live performances.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 23rd, 2014, 4:55 pm

Oh god, not a Pinterest pallet plant wall.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » June 23rd, 2014, 6:33 pm

Ah, so it is a park.

I walk it a few times a week and was wondering why they were painting the sidewalk and throwing pallets around.

It is much better than an empty space.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » June 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm

There was a gentleman playing banjo in that "park" during Northern Spark. Nobody else was with him there, until a few friends and I stopped to listen. After we stopped, a small crowd began to gather. So, maybe this park will thrive off of groupthink? Or better advertising?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 24th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Just went by on the bus, that big black wall is a chalkboard and it has "welcome to the parklot. This is a public park open to everybody." Or something similar written on it. Not gonna lie, the writing is messy and could look a little nicer.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 24th, 2014, 5:21 pm

What's with all the complaining? Do you guys remember what was there before? It's not like this is a massive expensive project that will represent Minneapolis for years. It's a parklet that adds something unique to the streetscape, and it's not even done yet!

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 24th, 2014, 7:17 pm

What's with all the complaining? Do you guys remember what was there before? It's not like this is a massive expensive project that will represent Minneapolis for years. It's a parklet that adds something unique to the streetscape, and it's not even done yet!
THANK YOU!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 25th, 2014, 9:17 am

THANK YOU!
I'm curious what you're thanking PhilmerPhil for? He posted his comment right after your complaint...
...Not gonna lie, the writing is messy and could look a little nicer.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 25th, 2014, 9:45 am

THANK YOU!
I'm curious what you're thanking PhilmerPhil for? He posted his comment right after your complaint...
...Not gonna lie, the writing is messy and could look a little nicer.
Really? I made a comment about someone's handwriting, I guess you could consider that a complaint. I was thanking PhilmerPhil because he actually called everyone out for complaining that they turned a surface parking lot into something useful for the summer... There are a lot of you who aren't happy unless a ton of money is sunk into every single project around town. Try having a little gratitude, my god.

If you recall I also said...
Have you been by in the last couple of days? It's actually developing to be something pretty cool with all those pallets. Painted sidewalk and walls makes it feel inviting, benches, tables, walls, planters... all made out of pallets. I love it and kind of wish that was my bus stop.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » July 2nd, 2014, 8:16 am

The pocket park in use at 10th and Hennepin

ImageHennepin Ave pocket park 6-29-14 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » July 2nd, 2014, 8:38 pm

I was wrong, it actually does look nice. Perfect location too. So how long is this going to be kept here?

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » July 3rd, 2014, 6:43 am

Are those people drinking beers? That will make any park more popular.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 3rd, 2014, 12:28 pm

McKenzie's patio extension...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 4th, 2014, 3:58 am

That lime Harlequin pattern goes onto the street and up the camera exchange building. What kind of paint is that? Something durable, yet will be removed soon.