Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
NickP
Target Field

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby NickP » June 8th, 2012, 9:26 am

I can't recall if I posted this on minnescraper but I figured I would do it here too. I always thought it would be great if the new Viking's stadium really went all out with the Scandinavian theme. They could build something like the winter olympic stadium in Lillehammer, that was meant to invoke an upside down viking ship. They could include Norse mythology and Scandinavian Design (traditional, not Ikea :) ) all throughout the stadium. They if they wanted to raise a little more money I think the should offer to sell naming rights to Scandinavian Nations/dignitaries. Kind Harold field has a nice ring to it I think. :)

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 8th, 2012, 10:11 am

Like I said on Minnescraper a Norse themed boat shaped stadium in the vein of Al-Shamal Stadium which is being built for the upcoming 2022 World Cup in Doha, Qatar. I also like the exterior is clean and free of visual spam. A similar design would certainly set up apart from other North American sports venues.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 8th, 2012, 11:55 am

^^^ YES YES YES YES ^^^

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 8th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Jaromir that is pretty baller mate! :)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 8th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Like I said on Minnescraper a Norse themed boat shaped stadium in the vein of Al-Shamal Stadium which is being built for the upcoming 2022 World Cup in Doha, Qatar. I also like the exterior is clean and free of visual spam. A similar design would certainly set up apart from other North American sports venues.

The peoples' clothing in the pic are pretty representative of that part of town, too!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 8th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I can't recall if I posted this on minnescraper but I figured I would do it here too. I always thought it would be great if the new Viking's stadium really went all out with the Scandinavian theme. They could build something like the winter olympic stadium in Lillehammer, that was meant to invoke an upside down viking ship. They could include Norse mythology and Scandinavian Design (traditional, not Ikea :) ) all throughout the stadium. They if they wanted to raise a little more money I think the should offer to sell naming rights to Scandinavian Nations/dignitaries. Kind Harold field has a nice ring to it I think. :)
I agree. I also came up with that idea on my own a while back and thought the stadium should essentially be a HUGE Vikings ship. If they could do it in a way that it'd be a cultural attraction, and not a tacky eyesore, it could be iconic to the city!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 8th, 2012, 7:16 pm

I agree in general, but I'd be more interested in a Scandinavian theme that isn't quite as obvious as a ship.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 8th, 2012, 11:29 pm

King, Thanks cool. I just mentioned the ship because I know it has been done a similar way before. I would really like Scandinavian touches all over though. I think that would be really cool and play on the idea that we are the land of the Vikings.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 9th, 2012, 12:57 am

I agree in general, but I'd be more interested in a Scandinavian theme that isn't quite as obvious as a ship.
I think Scandinavian elements in the design would be great, but I also think a ship would be a little much. I know this building will be in a completely different class than the homerdome, but one of my greatest concerns is that even with a significantly larger investment, they will just want to tear it down and start over again in 30 years.

What do you guys think, can they/will they build it in a way that we can make it even better in 20-30 years?

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 25th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I found an interesting render of the vikings stadium from 2007 in this blog post. Just scroll down a bit

http://dualcitybluebook.blogspot.com/
^ 4-d

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 25th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Here is the rendering 4-d refers to.

This is probably my favorite concept of any I've seen for the Metrodome site. The large buildings theoretically give the stadium additional uses (team offices, a hotel possibly) while the common area is contained and organized. The most recent models have too much nothing going on in that space. The last little detail that I really like is the flag. I know it's kind of stupid and trivial, but little details are what make buildings like this unique. Like how Buckingham Palace changes flags when the Queen is in residence, I think it would be cool if the stadium was to fly a public flag designating what's going on at a given time. Like you're driving down 35-W and see a white Vikings flag and you know the team is in there practicing, or an MIAC flag and know there is a college baseball game or something.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 25th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Yeah, as long as the stadium is going to happen, I want it to be a good use of space. I like the plaza spaces and the opportunities for multiple uses. The entranceway also reminds me of a coliseum or something, which could really be great (kind of like the pillars around the TCF Stadium).

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 25th, 2012, 4:43 pm

It's a neat rendering. My problem with the entire scheme, however, is the closed-off plaza it creates. Unless those surrounding buildings could generate consistent foot traffic I fear it would quickly become a dead zone on non-gamedays.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 25th, 2012, 5:20 pm

...as opposed to the wide-open dead zone that is there now?

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » June 26th, 2012, 1:16 am

Will this thing block off 11th ave? If so, that would be a bummer.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 26th, 2012, 6:24 am

that's a good question. the plan shows the stadium jutting into 11th. maybe it would be built over the street.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 26th, 2012, 8:04 am

Yes, that's clearly what I meant. Of course I was saying the Metrodome and its surroundings are superior in all ways, including generating foot traffic.

OR, I was commenting on that rendering without reference to what is currently there, and suggesting there may be better options for its redesign. As long as they're tossing a billion at doing something new, maybe, just maybe, they could do something better.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 26th, 2012, 9:25 am

Will this thing block off 11th ave? If so, that would be a bummer.
I think the theory is that the stadium will cantilever over the road somehow.
Yes, that's clearly what I meant. Of course I was saying the Metrodome and its surroundings are superior in all ways, including generating foot traffic.

OR, I was commenting on that rendering without reference to what is currently there, and suggesting there may be better options for its redesign. As long as they're tossing a billion at doing something new, maybe, just maybe, they could do something better.
Pff. Nah, the Metrodome is horrible at generating foot traffic. Much of the public space around the outside is wasted with a ring-shaped walkway. The plaza in front along Chicago Ave/Kirby Puckett Place is awkwardly-shaped and has to do double-duty as a transit queueing area on game days. But on non-game-days, the only reason people are on that corner is because they're transferring between the Hiawatha and the 16 or other bus lines.

Aren't some of the best plaza spaces in the world nice little constrained squares? People have been complaining for a long time that Minneapolis doesn't have a nice, flat plaza anywhere -- though I agree that this wouldn't necessarily be a good one either. The good plazas are built in places where people want to go on a daily basis, often surrounded on three or four sides by a fairly permeable wall of small shops and restaurants, and it would be a challenge to develop something like that out on the fringes of downtown. Considering the density popping up along Washington Avenue and slowly moving toward the stadium, it might not be so bad, though.

This plan pushes the stadium eastward from where the Metrodome currently sits and makes the existing plaza space even bigger, which almost makes me think it'd be too big. Everyone's obsession with making things bigger and "better" often tosses out any concept of pedestrian scale. Projects are continually ruined by making things too big.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 26th, 2012, 10:46 am

I hope they create a Target Field type of shelter for the LRT line instead of the one in that rendering! It would be awesome if both Stadium sites had matching shelters! :D If not at least they could make it somewhat similar.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 28th, 2012, 12:54 pm

so on a call with season ticket holders today vikes owner mark wilf agreed the stadium should have an "authentic midwest feel." what does that mean anyway? a lincoln log stadium?

also architects selected in "60-90 days".

vikes also verified a view to the skyline from inside the stadium is now pretty much a given. retractable roof still being discussed.