[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby Nathan » July 15th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Cruuuuudo Bar. 'nough said.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 28th, 2014, 10:28 am

The bar replacing Cause doesn't sound all that bad: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... d-foremost

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 28th, 2014, 10:56 am

I think it sounds great, and I love that they are opening up the corner!

I'll miss having a music venue, but the two times I played at cause it kinda sucked... Fun shows but not the best sound

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 28th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Having that place open to the corner, plus a rehab of the Falafel King building (and perhaps a tenant that draws more than one customer at a time) will be a huge change for Lyn-Lake.

We still haven't heard why Ackerberg kicked out both Cause and Social House in the same month. Presumably they have something lined up for the Social House space as well (Hennepin & Lagoon).

Best case scenario out of all of this is that a music venue opens up in the Champions space.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 28th, 2014, 1:45 pm

that would be great. keep the redevelopment moving further down lake.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » July 28th, 2014, 7:10 pm

According to the Uptown Neighborhood News a Cowboy Jacks will be replacing the former Social House space. Apparently uptown doesn't have enough Bro bars.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 28th, 2014, 7:54 pm

According to the Uptown Neighborhood News a Cowboy Jacks will be replacing the former Social House space.
That is so disappointing.

Uptown needs a good confectionary store. Would love to see it go in the old Abdallah spot.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 28th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Shut it down folks.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » July 29th, 2014, 11:24 am

According to the Uptown Neighborhood News a Cowboy Jacks will be replacing the former Social House space. Apparently uptown doesn't have enough Bro bars.

Great. Hipsters in cowboy hats. :roll:

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 29th, 2014, 3:06 pm

^That's incorrect. If you think hipsters would go to a lame suburban cowboy bar, you clearly misunderstand who that word is describing.

Don't they already have a Cowboy Jack's (and/or Wild Bill's) in every other suburb? What could possibly be the allure of driving to Uptown for such a thing? I hope it fails. I'd love to do a little census inside the place and try to find a single resident of the adjacent neighborhoods.

Then again, the owners of Cowboy Slims did state their intention to return when their previous location was demolished for The Walkway...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 29th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Anecdotal Hipster Comment. Last weekend some of my 'Basic' friends from the suburbs came to uptown, and I went to all the bars I "can't" go to as a hipster. Got a bunch of drink specials it was like 1 AM on a friday, who cares at that point, let's not discriminate. I also went to Cowboy Jacks in DT before Carifest and it was 2 dollar rail drinks... fine by me. I feel like it will probably do better than the last few concepts that were on the corner :/ And I can imaging plenty of ironic hipster outings.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Time for an UrbanMSP bro-bar crawl?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 29th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Time for an UrbanMSP bro-bar crawl?
BYOH (Bring Your Own Ho)

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » July 30th, 2014, 12:45 pm

It seems to me that most of Uptown is suburbanized with all the mall type stores and the same developments you see in the burbs. Can't really tell the difference any more.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Mall type stores?? Seriously. Those are the stores that are bringing in the $$$. H&M, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Timberland, Heartbreaker, Apple, and VC are really the only "mall type" stores that come to mind. Re-direct yourself to Michigan Ave in Chicago. It's a mile of retail of stores like these. And what's the problem with them anyways. These are the current "what's in" stores. On that note, this is retail we're talking about, not restaurants.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » July 30th, 2014, 1:04 pm

"On that note, this is retail we're talking about, not restaurants."
This was in reference to -"Don't they already have a Cowboy Jack's (and/or Wild Bill's) in every other suburb? "
Not saying that suburbanization of uptown is a problem, it just is the current trend.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 30th, 2014, 1:19 pm

I wonder if people said the same thing in 1922 when Woolworth's, Kresge's, and Red & White opened up in the neighborhood.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 30th, 2014, 2:06 pm

There's a difference between suburbanizing and becoming mainstream. Uptown is about as urban as you can get. It's not like we're seeing chain stores come in and build bloated surface lots with their backs to the street. But yes, lot's of the businesses popping up are pretty "basic."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 30th, 2014, 2:20 pm

If we were simultaneously eliminating the McDonald's, Arby's and multiple SA & Holiday gas stations, there'd probably be less complaining.

Heck, one suburban chain (Old Chicago) just left Uptown, as have many others over the years. Cheapo will probably be gone soon too (it used to be a chain anyways).

The lame cowboy bar isn't really that big of a deal. Cowboy Slims closed less than 2 years ago, the owners declared their intent to return. Social House was a cool spot, but there's no shortage of sushi or Asian fusion restaurants either.

As long as a music venue opens somewhere in the area, I'm not sure there's much to complain about. Uptown is adding just as much as it is subtracting. There are tons of new independent boutiques in the LynLake area. The Greenleaf at Lyndale & 28th is 100% local, independent businesses.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 30th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I mean, so what if we just write off Lake & Hennepin for five years and worry about a new thing? I'm okay with ceding ten square blocks to Maple Grove if we get to keep the increased tax base and sales tax proceeds.

At some point, it sounds like we're complaining about refugee resettlement or something.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]