Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 9:37 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 18591.html

This is a prime spot... So many possibilitys!! It'll probably just become a foot locker..

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 5th, 2014, 12:40 pm

This is a prime spot... So many possibilitys!! It'll probably just become a foot locker..
I'm guessing you don't know the neighborhood.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.948344, ... 3SOxXg!2e0

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 5th, 2014, 12:46 pm

It's kind of amazing that, given the rough history of the area, there are buildings at each corner of the Chi-Lake intersection that actually meet the street somewhat well (even if they aren't original streetcar buildings). Most commercial nodes haven't been so lucky, particularly those in rougher areas.

EDIT: While we're in the area, whichever transit planners allowed the Chicago Lake Transit Center to require both the 5 and 21 to detour off their routes should be assassinated. How the %*&^ could Metro Transit sign off on that nightmare?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 5th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I've never noticed that Foot Locker! I never bike south of Lake on Chicago whenever I do bike on Chicago. Well, this will become some mall store now with T-mobile, Foot Locker and $10 rack already there

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 5th, 2014, 3:22 pm

I've never noticed that Foot Locker! I never bike south of Lake on Chicago whenever I do bike on Chicago. Well, this will become some mall store now with T-mobile, Foot Locker and $10 rack already there
I'm hoping for a new local restaurant!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 5th, 2014, 3:25 pm

While we're in the area, whichever transit planners allowed the Chicago Lake Transit Center to require both the 5 and 21 to detour off their routes should be assassinated. How the %*&^ could Metro Transit sign off on that nightmare?
If I had to guess, this happened as a result of Midtown Exchange/Sheraton Hotel/Allina HQ project. I recall it being built around that time - but can't recall details. This area until very recently was not a place many people would have gone willingly. I could see planners thinking that moving the transit from Lake Street, to a dedicated "station" would help improve the appeal.

I've always hated this too. Hopefully the aBRT/Midtown Rail will help make this need less in the future - with that lot becoming something other than a parking/transit hub.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 7th, 2014, 10:57 am

bull run coffee in the former anodyne space 43rd and nicollet opened this morning.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 8th, 2014, 4:58 pm

New Franklin Theater getting some love!

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 129256.pdf

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 8th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Cool! More theater renovations! I love to see how these turn out

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 22nd, 2014, 6:24 pm

I was just at the Ace Hardware on Nicollet, and the Family Dollar went out of business! Apparently three months ago. The guy at Ace said that there was an electrical fire and all their stuff was destroyed. That seems newsworthy. Maybe hopefully something happens with this property in the future?

Absurdly good spot for lots of things:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Famil ... 85967c4920
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 22nd, 2014, 8:52 pm

Can the Dollar Tree at Nicollet and 46th St go out of business? And maybe the awful strip mall with the Family Dollar at 40th and Bloomington, so that entire block can get wholesale redeveloped?

I've found nothing redeeming about dollar stores. I went into one for the first time in my life a few weeks ago (the one on Bloomington) and nothing is actually a dollar. And it's actually crappier and more expensive than Walgreens or Target.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 22nd, 2014, 11:20 pm

Unless dollar stores are getting replaced by a Target or Walgreens/CVS, they do have a nice convenience value. I lived across the parking lot from the Stevens Square Family Dollar, and while the prices were high and the store was dumpy, it was nice to be able to spontaneously run across the street to grab some quick supplies or some candy.

And FWIW, Dollar Tree is actually a legitimate "dollar store." Everything there really is a dollar and you can get some crazy deals!

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 23rd, 2014, 12:36 pm

I was just at the Ace Hardware on Nicollet, and the Family Dollar went out of business! Apparently three months ago. The guy at Ace said that there was an electrical fire and all their stuff was destroyed. That seems newsworthy. Maybe hopefully something happens with this property in the future?

Absurdly good spot for lots of things:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Famil ... 85967c4920
Had no idea, and I've been biking by almost on a daily basis! And just think if that parking lot were to get filled in too: this could be what finally ties Nicollet back together. Sort of: there's still the issue of the highway bridge that Mpls won't cover with a retail cap.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 29th, 2014, 8:30 am

ord2msp
City Center

Postby ord2msp » September 3rd, 2014, 5:17 pm

There's an agenda item listed on the Lyndale Neighborhood Association's Housing, Planning & Development Committee meeting regarding a potential development at the Champions site on Blaisdell & Lake. Unfortunately, I can't make it. Has anyone heard anything about this?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 3rd, 2014, 11:38 pm

Can you please share a link to the agenda? I'm having trouble finding it on their website.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 4th, 2014, 10:46 am

Excited about this.

Sassy Spoon food truck is settling down in the Nokomis neighborhood
Sep 3, 2014

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... n-the.html

After three seasons on the road, Sassy Spoon food truck is getting a permanent location.
Owner Tamara Brown has signed a lease for a 1,800-square-foot space in the Nokomis neighborhood of south Minneapolis. The site at 5011 34th Ave. S. was most recently home to 3 Tiers—A Bakery Bistro, which closed in early July after five years of business. ...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 4th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Excited about this.

Sassy Spoon food truck is settling down in the Nokomis neighborhood
Sep 3, 2014

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... n-the.html

After three seasons on the road, Sassy Spoon food truck is getting a permanent location.
Owner Tamara Brown has signed a lease for a 1,800-square-foot space in the Nokomis neighborhood of south Minneapolis. The site at 5011 34th Ave. S. was most recently home to 3 Tiers—A Bakery Bistro, which closed in early July after five years of business. ...
I'm assuming that the truck will still be out and about. Like World Kitchen they will also have a brick and mortar location for food prep and the winter when the truck is not an option.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 7th, 2014, 10:43 am

Good to hear that spot is filled, 50th & 34th is a nice little corner. Down on 46th and Bryant Studio 2 opened up: it's a nice neighborhood coffee shop-bar. Riding up from there I notice that I always pass by a closed Bogart's Donuts:gonna have to see if I can remedy that.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 8th, 2014, 6:08 am

business is booming at bogarts.