Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
MNdible
is great.

Re: Minneapolis Park System

Postby MNdible » August 20th, 2014, 8:33 pm

If I were to make a list of Park Board members who've overstayed their welcome, Anita Tabb might be on the list, but she certainly wouldn't be at the top of it.

Also, I'd agree that the situation at Hidden Beach has become not good over the last couple of years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 20th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Shut er down boys. I, on the teenage side of the argument, hate this beach. It's gross and well. Not hidden

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 21st, 2014, 8:48 am

What's new that is happening at the beach that hasn't been happening there for years? Legit question as I do not know.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 21st, 2014, 8:53 am

What's new that is happening at the beach that hasn't been happening there for years? Legit question as I do not know.
"People are smoking drugs and alcohol!" "Someone punched a cop!" Mostly it's hearsay.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 21st, 2014, 8:59 am

Except for the cop, I think people have been doing the other things for a while now lol

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2014, 9:15 am

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting older, but the last few times I've been there, you feel like the vibe of the place is off. There are people that seem like they're just looking to start something. You're sitting there trying to relax at the beach, but in the back of your mind, you know that at any moment there's going to be a pushing/shouting match, and you're hoping it doesn't escalate beyond that.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 21st, 2014, 10:54 am

Is it ever very busy? I mean what makes it so different from Thomas Beach (another beach where public drinking and intoxication is, uh....semi legal)?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 21st, 2014, 11:03 am

It's packed.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » August 21st, 2014, 11:39 am

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting older, but the last few times I've been there, you feel like the vibe of the place is off. There are people that seem like they're just looking to start something. You're sitting there trying to relax at the beach, but in the back of your mind, you know that at any moment there's going to be a pushing/shouting match, and you're hoping it doesn't escalate beyond that.
I go there all the time and I have no idea what you're talking about.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » August 21st, 2014, 12:02 pm

Is it ever very busy? I mean what makes it so different from Thomas Beach (another beach where public drinking and intoxication is, uh....semi legal)?
It's different because it's hidden (about 100 yards down a path through the woods) on an out-of-the-way dead end street. You don't find hidden beach by accident.

It draws its own crowd, and that's what makes it so great. Hammocks, drum circles, boomboxes, slack lines, guitars, saxophones, hula hoops, hippies, weirdos, families (YES, families), young, old. Its adorable. It's one of the few places in the city where strangers mingle. It's got some of the best people watching anywhere. It's a jewel.

The problem is that there is no parking. And a lot of (harmless but) illegal activity. I think providing parking and sight lines from the street to the beach would solve a lot of the neighborhood frustration. As it is now, the constant police patrol is absolutely ruining the laid back, free-to-do-as-you-please culture of the beach, which is a shame. The optimist in me says that if they provide parking solutions, the neighborhood will ease up. It may not be what it was, but I agree that right now, this beach is a big pain in the ass for neighbors. I hope they find a permanent solution that doesn't ruin the culture of the beach and placates the neighborhood.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2014, 12:38 pm

I go there all the time and I have no idea what you're talking about...
It draws its own crowd, and that's what makes it so great. Hammocks, drum circles, boomboxes, slack lines, guitars, saxophones, hula hoops, hippies, weirdos, families (YES, families), young, old. Its adorable. It's one of the few places in the city where strangers mingle. It's got some of the best people watching anywhere. It's a jewel.
What you describe is the Hidden Beach as I remember it -- I used to love going there -- and what it still is on its best days. But lately, it's just felt somehow meaner. It only takes a few bad actors to screw something up.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 21st, 2014, 12:40 pm

It's not like that anymore. Trust me. It's where people at my school get drugs

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 21st, 2014, 12:44 pm

Why is it a problem that there's a beach without parking? Especially with a LRT stop opening up a block away in a few years?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 21st, 2014, 12:44 pm

Why is it a problem that there's a beach without parking? Especially with a LRT stop opening up a block away in a few years?
5 years.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 21st, 2014, 12:46 pm

4 years

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 21st, 2014, 12:49 pm

6 years.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 21st, 2014, 12:49 pm

And a bus line extended to the LRT?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 21st, 2014, 2:35 pm

32nd St Beach on Calhoun has no parking. It has a little playground and is fairly full (though few people in the water, IMO). Why would Hidden Beach need dedicated parking - as noted earlier, LRT + bus line, plus proximate bike trails.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 21st, 2014, 2:40 pm

+ rich white folk who don't like to share their space = need for parking :-/

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » August 21st, 2014, 6:26 pm

32nd St Beach on Calhoun has no parking. It has a little playground and is fairly full (though few people in the water, IMO). Why would Hidden Beach need dedicated parking - as noted earlier, LRT + bus line, plus proximate bike trails.
32nd is in a totally different kind of neighborhood and a totally different kind of crowd. It's also MUCH easier to get to by transit and trails (IMO).

But yeah, the beachgoers should just take the unbuilt LRT that doesn't run through their neighborhood, or the infrequent bus that stops several blocks away. You're right. No need for parking here.