Diversity, Poverty, and Transit Dependency in the Suburbs

Twin Cities Suburbs
David Greene
IDS Center

Diversity, Poverty, and Transit Dependency in the Suburbs

Postby David Greene » August 26th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Unlike MVTA, SWT makes no attempt to serve the transit-dependent population, which believe it or not, definitely exists in Eden Prairie and Chaska.
Not only does it exist, the poverty rates in some of the SWLRT EP station areas are equivalent to the station areas in Minneapolis with the highest poverty rates. In other words, some of the EP station areas have the highest poverty rates along the whole line.

I don't think most people understand how rapidly the demographics of the suburbs are changing. Brooklyn Park now has a higher percentage of people of color than Minneapolis.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Public Transit News and Happenings

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2014, 3:35 pm

In Eden Prairie it's a different story, we just have a high Somali population. Might be one of the highest in the states. The poverty levels are because the lines goes past a lot of apartment buildings which are very diverse living areas. But those are people who rely mostly on public transit, so hint hint the line will work in EP

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm

In Eden Prairie it's a different story, we just have a high Somali population.
That's not a different story at all. Immigrants are becoming a huge part of lots of suburbs and rural towns.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2014, 10:07 pm

A lot of communities are seeing more Hispanic immigration though

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 26th, 2014, 10:37 pm

I don't think most people understand how rapidly the demographics of the suburbs are changing. Brooklyn Park now has a higher percentage of people of color than Minneapolis.
Isn't Minneapolis actually behind several cities now? If I remember correctly, the highest number of POC is Brooklyn Center, followed by Brooklyn Park, St. Paul, and then Minneapolis (which I'm pretty sure actually got more white during the last Census).

It definitely shows the shifting of demographics in urban and suburban areas.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 27th, 2014, 10:14 am

[sn't Minneapolis actually behind several cities now?
It certainly could be. I've been contemplating the Black Helicopters thread and the shifting of our urban living patterns to a more European scheme (wealth in the center, poverty in the suburbs). If current trends continue (and I have no reason to believe they won't), we're going to have a major poverty problem in a couple of decades. Not only will poverty be concentrated in the suburbs, those folks won't be able to get anywhere. It'll be much, much worse than what we have in the cities today.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 27th, 2014, 11:06 pm

[sn't Minneapolis actually behind several cities now?
It certainly could be. I've been contemplating the Black Helicopters thread and the shifting of our urban living patterns to a more European scheme (wealth in the center, poverty in the suburbs). If current trends continue (and I have no reason to believe they won't), we're going to have a major poverty problem in a couple of decades. Not only will poverty be concentrated in the suburbs, those folks won't be able to get anywhere. It'll be much, much worse than what we have in the cities today.
I've often thought that the "Europeanization" of American urban areas with wealth concentrating in the core is actually a decent argument for expanding transit out to the suburbs. Presumably the transit will provide a bit of an investment to keep some wealth out there. But in the scenario described, it would also be a huge social justice/equity project to ensure the poor still had access to jobs and amenities out in less-than-walkable suburbs.

HoratioRincewind
City Center

Postby HoratioRincewind » August 28th, 2014, 5:27 am

Isn't Minneapolis actually behind several cities now? If I remember correctly, the highest number of POC is Brooklyn Center, followed by Brooklyn Park, St. Paul, and then Minneapolis (which I'm pretty sure actually got more white during the last Census).
MInneapolis is the third most diverse city in the state after the two Brooklyns. Both of which IIRC are majority-minority, while Minneapolis is at like 47% minority.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 28th, 2014, 6:30 am

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27/2743000.html

A boot 36% minority as of the 2010 census. Behind both Brooklyns and St. Paul.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: Diversity, Poverty, and Transit Dependency in the Suburb

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2014, 6:45 am

If you look down a few columns further, you'll see "White Alone, Not Hispanic/Latino", of which Minneapolis is 60.3%. So actually closer to 40% minority in Minneapolis, which puts us fourth, after BC, BP, and StP. All three of those cities have a higher "foreign born" population as well, led by Brooklyn Center at 25.9%. I cannot imagine how challenging things are in Brooklyn Center, both for the foreign immigrants and the city government/staff.

Richfield is maybe a shade whiter than I would have guessed, at 63.2% "white alone". Lots of elderly (whites) there too, so that number is changing rapidly.

Given current migration trends, that "White Alone" percentage in Minneapolis will actually rise by the 2020 Census, while probably every first and second ring suburb will see that number drop, even if just a little in some cases.

I just flipped through several other first ring suburbs and found them to be very white still, mostly high 70s to low 80s (compared to 83.1% statewide). Only BC, BP, and Richfield really break the mold.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 28th, 2014, 8:55 am

And Columbia Heights, which I can't remember just off the top of my head, but I believe is south of 70% white only. CH, Fridley, New Brighton, Mounds View, Spring Lake Park, The Brooklyns, Crystal and New Hope are amongst the fastest-changing suburbs demographically in the entire metro, and all have one thing in common: they're the first or second stop when exiting north Mpls. There are other first/second-ring suburbs with similar demographic changes outside of this area (e.g. Richfield and Little Canada) but this seemingly is where much of the non-white population is living these days. Northeast Mpls also is seeing some of this change as well, so it's not strictly city vs. suburb either.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » August 28th, 2014, 5:16 pm

While Minneapolis is 4th in the metro, it is 5th in the state. One outstate city, Worthington, is only 48.9% white non-Hispanic.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27/2771734.html

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 3rd, 2014, 11:11 pm

While Minneapolis is 4th in the metro, it is 5th in the state. One outstate city, Worthington, is only 48.9% white non-Hispanic.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/27/2771734.html
My dad was just out in Worthington doing some business and said he stopped by one of the public schools. He said he only saw two white students. The rest seemed to be Hispanic (presumably mostly Mexican?) and Somali.

He probably was exaggerating to make the story more interesting, but I think it speaks to some of the very real trends that small, rural towns face (especially once the older population begins to die off).

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 4th, 2014, 6:28 am

Are they gentrifying the town, you think?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 4th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Worthington is a fairly unique example in MN, as it's this town dominated by a meat-packing plant largely employed by Latinos. I think Marshall and Redwood Falls may be somewhat diverse as well, and Owatonna for Somalis. It's not necessarily this new big trend in regional demographics, in fact, I've heard that if anything the trend is reversing a bit as Latinos aren't flocking to this country in droves like they were even 5 years ago.