Nordic House - 729 Washington Av N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 27th, 2014, 3:37 pm

According to the property tax records, Greco only owns 729 Washington and the immediate lot behind that, 728 3rd. Everything else on Washington is owned by other entities.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 27th, 2014, 4:54 pm

I'll take your word on that. I just saw Greco on the other lots, unless they are leasing the parking for their other properties.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 28th, 2014, 8:43 am

Here's the Hennepin County Interactive Property Map link: http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/default.aspx
It's a very fun tool. :)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 28th, 2014, 11:18 am

I didn't want to get stuck on the map because I could spend all day on that thing. Not what yoy want on your birthday. Any who how much do you think that site is realistically, its a great location

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » August 28th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Walking by the property yesterday, If the property includes all the parking from the Freeman's parking lot to next door to bunkers that will be a very wide or long building. Do anyone know if this property is just fronting Washington, or does it go all the way back to 3rd?

I'm also assuming that the parking may have a district parking affect for the area. The parking maybe hid at the back and below some of the residential floors with the retail facing Washington. There is a lot of footage fronting Washington. There could still a parking entrance on Washington, but the parking structure would be behind the retail portion of the structure. I'm also assuming that the residential parking will be underground and separate from the public parking. Also not sure if the alley could be vacated and used for parking entrances on 7th and 8th.
Looks like it's just the property fronting Washington: Image
I've always felt that the city should have stepped up 10 years ago and bought this parcel and the one directly to the SW for the neighborhood park between 3rd and Wash.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 29th, 2014, 8:36 am

I can't believe how many vacant parcels there still are in the North Loop! I also hope they don't get filled in by block-long buildings, but instead projects the size of the blue square or even smaller.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2014, 9:24 am

I've always felt that the city should have stepped up 10 years ago and bought this parcel and the one directly to the SW for the neighborhood park between 3rd and Wash.
Completely agree. Note that the (apparent) route of Bassett Creek hugs the property line here, so that will likely limit what they're able to do with footings/pilings on this portion of the lot.

I've said it before, but the city needs to re-establish an "opportunity fund", so that when key parcels like this come to market, they can snap them up quickly. There have been a number of missed opportunities in the North Loop.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 22nd, 2014, 2:42 pm

Seeking $1.15MM in DEED / Met Council cleanup grants: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 132416.pdf
(729 Washington Ave. N., 728 N. 3rd Street)
Projected DEED Request: $572,080
Projected Metropolitan Council TBRA Request: $572,080
Greco, LLC is proposing to redevelop two vacant parcels, currently used as parking
lots, into a mixed-use development that will include 50-60 market rate apartments,
12,000-15,000 square feet of retail/office, and structured parking. The projected
total development cost is $36,719,000. Grant funds, if awarded, will be used
primarily for soil remediation.
This site is zoned B4N with the Downtown Parking Overlay. It is classified as a
mixed-use project, which is a permitted/conditional use in these districts. In
general, the project is supportable, but there may be changes recommended by
staff during the public hearing review and approval process. The development site
is located the North Loop. The site is located in the Downtown Growth Center and
Target Field Transit Station Area as well as along the Washington Commercial
Corridor as identified in The Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth. The future
land use map in The Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth designates the site as
Mixed Use which supports the proposed uses of residential, retail, and office. The
project’s proposed uses would be appropriate in this area and would be in
conformance with the comprehensive plan for land use.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » November 13th, 2014, 4:02 pm

I'm quite interested in this project as we're currently ElseWarehouse residents...plus it will be interesting to see how it affects our parking situation (inside parking is full here and our 2nd vehicle is parked in the exterior 729 lot).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 13th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Welcome to the forum! I think a lot of us here would be interested in hearing your take on living in North Loop. If you don't mind sharing, we have a general topic called "North Loop Neighborhood" where you could post that. It's fascinating to me how we're essentially building a new neighborhood out of new & old buildings, super close to downtown, but with pretty mediocre transit service. Most of the residential development going on is outside of easy walking distance from Target Field Station, and there aren't great bike connections directly into the core either. Since you have 2 cars, does that mean neither of you work in N.Loop or downtown?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 4th, 2015, 5:11 pm

This shouldn't affect your parking. Designs are done at this point, just being spruced up. Some of you are going to like it, others of you will hate it.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 5th, 2015, 8:36 am

Completely agree. Note that the (apparent) route of Bassett Creek hugs the property line here, so that will likely limit what they're able to do with footings/pilings on this portion of the lot.

I've said it before, but the city needs to re-establish an "opportunity fund", so that when key parcels like this come to market, they can snap them up quickly. There have been a number of missed opportunities in the North Loop.
Two critical pieces that are currently missing if downtown/North Loop has any meaningful aspirations to become a place for families: a decent play park and a school.

If "we" (as a city) are saying that downtown isn't a place for families I *guess* that is fine but I think it would make for a TRULY urban city to have a dense place that also provides opportunity for families to live comfortably.

I understand there are play spaces at the river but it shouldn't be necessary to travel 3 blocks to climb or swing and bussing kids all over to go to school seems ludicrous given the state of surface lots all over downtown - there MUST be an opportunity to create a school downtown. I'd love to hear opinions of others - maybe I'm dreaming...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 5th, 2015, 10:00 am

They're already opening the school in downtown east, I'm really hoping that can work well. I'm talking about park space in North Loop

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » March 5th, 2015, 10:48 am

They're already opening the school in downtown east, I'm really hoping that can work well. I'm talking about park space in North Loop
Care to spill the beans on where the new park space will be?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 5th, 2015, 10:53 am

Eh.. I'll let it be released. I think it might be at an upcoming planning commission meeting.

Edit: It will be on this site though. Kind of weaving through.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 13th, 2015, 7:13 am

Munchin' posted this in the general development thread and I thought I'd put it here:

10-story apartment building, 330-spot public parking ramp, and a two-block park(!).

Sweet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 13th, 2015, 7:39 am

PDF Plans from the WCCO story: https://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.co ... 6-2015.pdf

Kudos to WCCO for scooping this before the plans are even available on the city's website for Committee of the Whole.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 13th, 2015, 7:43 am

Omg omg omg omg. And I've only looked at the first page.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » March 13th, 2015, 7:56 am

Not so thrilled about that huge parking garage. The building itself looks great, though.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 13th, 2015, 8:00 am

The through street/park/sidewalks are what I'm crazy about. The parking garage doesn't really bother me. They're displacing a lot of parking and it can be contact for people living in all the buildings and it's not fronting Washington.