Capella Tower

Peavey Plaza

Postby John » June 2nd, 2012, 11:01 am

Expected to begin summer 2012.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Peavey Plaza reconstruction project

Postby Wedgeguy » June 2nd, 2012, 11:48 pm

I do not think that this project will happen for at least a few years. There is no money available and with the lack of full support, private funds are just not coming in to get the project underway. MPLS has no money for a 10M project that does not have its money raise and would have to borrow. THere was no state money for it this year.

Like the Ordway expansion in St. PAul. They will wait until the funs are available to do the project. Maybe in the mean time they can find a real architect that can work out a solution that keeps the best of the old and works in the efficences of the new designs without taking so much of the old away. MPLS, you can raise money fast with an unpopular design

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » June 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm

From the Strib on 5/17/2012

Mpls. council committee votes in favor of demolishing Peavey Plaza

A Minneapolis City Council panel voted Thursday to move forward with demolition of Peavey Plaza on Nicollet Mall, despite objections from local preservationists.

The Zoning and Planning Committee vote, which still requires full council approval, overrules the Heritage Preservation Commission's decision last month to deny demolition permits. City officials hope to bring more vibrancy to the plaza by doing away with the 1970s architecture and starting from scratch.

Proponents of the demolition, including the city's Public Works Department, testified Thursday that the plaza's fountains are broken and beyond repair. Others supported demolition because the current plaza is not handicapped-accessible.

Preservationists have argued that the plaza's design has historic significance. Charles Birnbaum, president of the Washington, D.C.-based Cultural Landscape Foundation, which has fought for the plaza's preservation, said it is a "masterwork" and a "seminal project" of designer M. Paul Friedberg's career.

The city plans to build the new plaza in summer 2013. The $10 million project is expected to be funded largely with private dollars.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 14th, 2012, 4:25 pm

for those of you who love brutalist and modernist architecture, and landscapes... Join the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota and many others by bringing your lunch to Peavey Plaza, and eating it too.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2012, 5:09 pm

puke. that rendering posted by jfuss looks like pure HGA crap.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 14th, 2012, 10:33 pm

No, Oslund crap, blue lights and all.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » September 15th, 2012, 12:03 am

Take the people out of that rendering and you have a really bland, nondescript public space. If this thing goes through I wouldn't be surprised if it was quickly regarded as worse than what it replaced.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2012, 12:12 am

It's so unfortunate they don't restore the fountains and retain some of the essence of current plaza. A lackluster if not insipid proposal by Oslund that needs to be more respectful of the original design.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 15th, 2012, 7:41 am

I'm surprised they haven't announced that it will be renamed Mall of America Plaza

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 15th, 2012, 9:27 am

Or Target Plaza.......

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2012, 9:39 am

Or "Tribute to Oslund and Associates Plaza" ;)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 15th, 2012, 9:57 am

Docent Overlords of Orchestra Hall Plaza- 'Securing our legacy one wrecking ball at a time.'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 15th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Have to say I love Gold Medal Park and Target Plaza though, both by Oslund. But yes, I agree with others. I'd like the plaza renovated/updated, but keep the fountains.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 15th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I'm surprised they haven't announced that it will be renamed Mall of America Plaza

that's insane they would rename it Orchestra Hall Plaza!

It's rare that I wish a project would be slowed down and stopped from there planned construction project, but I am glad there is a protest Lunch In! I may have to consider going down there to eat my lunch although I'm not a fan of eating outside. Do you think if this project is delayed they will turn on the fountains again? or will they claim they can't do that because they are soooooooo like broken :roll:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2012, 8:28 am

Excellent! Then I plan to eat lunch with you all one Wednesday ;)

Only a few of the fountains work anymore, and they'd have to fill it with water and blah blah... I doubt we'll hear anything until the courts have decided.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 17th, 2012, 12:36 am

Almost worth the $22 in gas I would have to spend to get up there to each lunch!

Really though I think we should tear down the IDS while we're at it. I heard the were a couple drinking fountains broken on the 22nd floor and restoration is not an option. You know what they say, "Out with the old, In with the New." :?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 17th, 2012, 12:57 am

I was surprised to read in The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota that the original architect of Peavey Plaza had an adaptive reuse proposal to renovate the plaza that was completely ignored by the city. I guess I'm confused as to why they didn't incorporate his plan, or at least partially in collaboration with Oslund and Associates? That would appear to be a very rational solution to this controversy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense something strange and not kosher about how the process of renovating this plaza unfolded.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 17th, 2012, 2:01 am

There are two main driving factors to ignore all calls for restoration from my point of view:
1. Orchestra Halls has plans to renovate and wants to reuse the outdoor space in a more modern way, which on a dying(obvious hyperbole don't freak out) orchestra budget would be too expensive if they also had to restore the fountains.
2. Rather than dealing with the homelessness/crime problem in the park the Minneapolis is opting to bulldoze one of the nice places they hang out? Thinking about this some, is Peavey Plaza the reason these people come to Minneapolis and decide to be homeless/do shady things, or are they the only ones that are appreciating it? Peavey is not the only place in the City where there are scary SHADOWS at night!

I agree with you, they should have listened to Friedberg. But both Mlps&The Orchestra seem to be set on the dozing option.

*Here ends the rant. :roll:

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 17th, 2012, 4:15 am

The new design will also include options for outdoor concerts and ect ect. so we can get the hint that somebody probably gave a nice donation to somebody to fast track the "preferred option" Of course my theory us untested. I don't doubt Orchestra hall somehow somewhere slipped a fat check to sombody!

I mean otherwise if the process was fair YWCA would be having yoga mondays, Brit Pub would be having Pint fridays, and Westmister Church would be holding services on sundays from the plaza too!

It's not fair that only the orchestra hall will benefit from the redesign...(besides the basic benefits of having a plaza of course)

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 17th, 2012, 7:55 am

this is the dumbest waste of time and i'm tired of reading about it.

go talk to orchestra hall employees how well that plaza works. it's great for homeless people having sex or urinating on their building. but those glorious fountains and stepped concrete! ah the 70's....