U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TommyT
Target Field

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby TommyT » August 28th, 2014, 9:12 am

I work at Capella and can see some of it between the Government Center and Thrivent. I can't wait for it to continue to fill in over there, will be neat to see that all come together.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 3rd, 2014, 1:05 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 3rd, 2014, 5:08 pm

Someone got a drone video of the stadium so far...

http://youtu.be/7MdMtVWpAS8

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 4th, 2014, 10:11 am

Holy bathtub!

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 4th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Someone got a drone video of the stadium so far...

http://youtu.be/7MdMtVWpAS8
Awesome find. Thanks for the link!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 4th, 2014, 12:24 pm

It's hard to tell from the webcam, but it looks like the next large piece of structural steel is starting to go up now.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 4th, 2014, 12:36 pm

It's hard to tell from the webcam, but it looks like the next large piece of structural steel is starting to go up now.
Yup! The second triangle steel piece is going to go up either tomorrow or early next week.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 4th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Yup! The second triangle steel piece is going to go up either tomorrow or early next week.
Looks like it's up.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » September 4th, 2014, 5:34 pm

It appears the steel they hoisted into place today is not at its full height yet. There is another piece on the ground that will go on top. I'm very interested how they're going to do that.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 4th, 2014, 5:42 pm

They did it with the last one, they bring in up with the crane and weld and screw in the bolts.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » September 5th, 2014, 1:14 am

Here is a good article on wired about the bird safe glass issue. If your like me and would prefer to enjoy your sports without making more of a negative impact towards the natural environment, you can take action on this issue by signing the online petition from the audubon society to the governor by clicking the link at the end of the article. If you don't want to scroll all the way through the article, I've attached the link at the bottom of this page. You do NOT need to donate.

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/the-new-mi ... ory-birds/

http://mn.audubon.org/change-glass-save-birds

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » September 5th, 2014, 7:44 am

Just one is up, the second one is on the ground ready to be hoisted up today or Monday.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 5th, 2014, 9:29 am

Pics from Labor Day.

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » September 5th, 2014, 9:31 am

Is there a petition to sign to not use fritted glass? I'm sorry but I'm not sold at all.
We have bigger problems in this world than birds crashing into stadiums. Thousands they say - right... What a crock.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 5th, 2014, 9:45 am

Is there a petition to sign to not use fritted glass? I'm sorry but I'm not sold at all.
We have bigger problems in this world than birds crashing into stadiums. Thousands they say - right... What a crock.
Careful, don't let those pesky facts from educated experts get in the way of you forming your own unfounded opinion. :roll:

Again, the fritted glass would only need to done on areas much higher than human height, so it's not going to block any of your precious window views, and the areas that will need to be done can be done so with a pattern so small that the glass will look basically the same from a distance.

I'll stop beating the bird issue to death - pun intended - but jeeze, people, stop shitting all over the Audubon Society. They work with every downtown project to ensure bird safety in a highly active migratory area. They're here to do good. They've been doing it for a long time.

I don't know if the stadium will ever move to fritted glass or not - but the misconceptions being spread over this whole argument are ridiculous. People prefer to form their own opinion with no knowledge of the situation than listen to dedicated experts that have studied for decades. :|
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » September 5th, 2014, 10:01 am

They showed samples of the glass on Kare 11 a couple weeks ago. It looks awful. To say you can't notice the difference is ridiculous. Would you put that hideous junk on your house?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 5th, 2014, 10:03 am

They showed samples of the glass on Kare 11 a couple weeks ago. It looks awful. To say you can't notice the difference is ridiculous. Would you put that hideous junk on your house?
The samples being shown are just more stupid misconception. They're showing these overly-elaborate patterns and stripes when that's not likely what would actually be applied to the stadium. The stadium, again, would likely get small dot-patterned glass in the areas above human eyesight. Unless you're up close, you're not going to see them much. And since those areas are up high, you'll never be up close. If anything, it'll make the glass look a little more reflective from the outside.

Can you tell that this is fritted glass?
Last edited by IllogicalJake on September 5th, 2014, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 5th, 2014, 10:06 am

The dots in this example are already fading away toward the back of the photo.

When you're 20 feet away you wouldn't notice them at all... and they can be done even smaller and less noticeable than this!

Tiny dots. People are fussing over tiny dots.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 5th, 2014, 10:28 am

The dots in this example are already fading away toward the back of the photo.
When you're 20 feet away you wouldn't notice them at all... and they can be done even smaller and less noticeable than this!
Tiny dots. People are fussing over tiny dots.
I truly appreciate you being willing and able to back up your point of view with facts & images. It's refreshing to have that as part of the discussion. Too often people see something and just believe it - when more often then not, it's not factual.
I can think of dozens of Facebook links or spam email that are easily dispelled with a visit to Snopes.com.

Anyhow, I'm disappointed that MSFA Chair, Haigh, has chosen to side with the Wilfs on this one. I mean, even the new Dallas Cowboy's stadium used fritted glass.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 5th, 2014, 10:48 am

Is it too late to bring the bird-safe dome back?