Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mrcity

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby mrcity » August 30th, 2014, 11:48 am

Well, LPM has about 12 units per floor. If this building had a similar floor plate size it would be about 30 floors of apartments plus the ramp....

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Well, LPM has about 12 units per floor. If this building had a similar floor plate size it would be about 30 floors of apartments plus the ramp....
Yes, approximately 36 stories. I'm guessing there will be 6 stories of build out from the ramp and about 30 stories above.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 30th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Let's just make this like Marina city and be done. Corn cob architecture and all!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Let's just make this like Marina city and be done. Corn cob architecture and all!
I think it will look somewhat similar to the original rendering , perhaps maybe a little taller. With Magellan involved, I'm thinking the Chicago based Loewenberg Architects (of LPM Apartments fame) will be the designers.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 30th, 2014, 1:26 pm

It sounds like they may be designing such that the original ground parcel could still house a hotel. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, this still is part of the overall project, just with different partners and different investors.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » August 30th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Yeah... the height of the building will depend on how big each floor is.

However, for some perspective:
Nic on 5th is 253 units, 26 floors, 288 ft
4arq is 262 units, 30 floors, 313 ft
LPM is 354 units, 36 floors, 376 ft

This project is to have 360 units... I imagine this to be on the scope of LPM... 36 floors 375 ft.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 30th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Well this is looking up. Lets hope we can get some news sources on this soon. I know there's the link but I'm waiting until its confirmed by a secondary

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 30th, 2014, 4:17 pm

It sounds like they may be designing such that the original ground parcel could still house a hotel. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, this still is part of the overall project, just with different partners and different investors.
Yes, the hotel with residential above would still be the best outcome for this site. But 360 units of housing isn't too shabby either , and would bring in hundreds of new residents to the area. If I recall correctly, the original proposal was for approx 250 units so this has evolved into a significantly larger project.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 30th, 2014, 7:24 pm

I guess there are a few hotels in the area on Washington. My first thought would be of a large hotel for stadium and Wells Fargo clients but how much is really needed?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 30th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I think any hotel built here could be good for the University. The U needs more hotel space, but it's space constrained and also I don't think needs it all the time that it can't share with Downtown uses.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 30th, 2014, 8:24 pm

They're building a hotel on campus next year or this fall

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » September 2nd, 2014, 9:33 am

Based on the location, a hotel on this site would mainly serve Wells Fargo during the week. It's hard to say how many Wells Fargo rooms would be booked per might without knowing exactly what Wells Fargo will be using the offices for. Currently, there are probably 100-150 rooms booked in the city each night for Wells Fargo. I'd imaging a hotel here would only steal away 10-20% of those numbers

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 2nd, 2014, 10:33 am

The original proposal from Ryan only used the small sliver of lot on the south side of the ramp for the tower (the hotel/apartments plan). Wasn't the parking ramp top planned simply as green space? If I recall correctly, this project was never planned to be built 'on-top' of the actual ramp. See the image below that shows the tower on the south side of the block and green space above the ramp. This new article does mention modifying the ramp to allow for 'future' development too though, but I would assume the overall height will be the same as originally proposed (27 stories ~ 200 apartments/150 hotel rooms).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 2nd, 2014, 7:52 pm

Are we assuming the dimensions of the tower are changing then? 360 apartments averaging say 1,000 SF compared to 200 1,000 SF apartments and 150 hotels at MAYBE 500 SF (max) is 360,000 SF vs. 275,000, respectively. Where is that extra 85,000 SF going -- out or up?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 2nd, 2014, 8:07 pm

I'm hoping for some of both, personally. I don't think we need a supertall here, but I just don't like the look of that rendering, where both WF towers, the apartments/hotel, and the stadium are all practically the same height. Variation is good.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

CK76

Postby CK76 » September 3rd, 2014, 11:13 am

375 feet wouldn't be a supertall. I like the idea of height outside the core.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 5th, 2014, 3:17 pm

A lot of new information on the proposed new deal between the city and Ryan here, including some back-story on why the original plan didn't work out.

One notable element is that they're proposing to relocate the ramp lobby to the southeast corner of the lot. That raises some interesting possibilities of linking this into the proposed pedestrian bridge over the LRT tracks.

As for the project itself, it all seems pretty nebulous now (at least as far as the purchase option is willing to go), but it appears that we're looking at a 25-35 story tower with a seventh level of parking built atop the ramp and a green amenity deck atop that.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 8th, 2014, 1:38 pm

A lot of new information on the proposed new deal between the city and Ryan here, including some back-story on why the original plan didn't work out.

One notable element is that they're proposing to relocate the ramp lobby to the southeast corner of the lot. That raises some interesting possibilities of linking this into the proposed pedestrian bridge over the LRT tracks.

As for the project itself, it all seems pretty nebulous now (at least as far as the purchase option is willing to go), but it appears that we're looking at a 25-35 story tower with a seventh level of parking built atop the ramp and a green amenity deck atop that.
Very interesting reading. The request from Ryan Companies to have until December 31, 2015 to purchase the property - with up to 7 years of 1-year extensions available (by paying the city accordingly), it's possible (should the apartment tower plan with Magellan fall through) this linear lot will sit empty. Of course, Magellan seems very interested and has a vested interest in a tower here - but Ryan is sure covering their asses.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 9th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Goodbye tower dreams? Vikings want to develop ramp:
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/274509671.html

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 9th, 2014, 1:37 pm

interesting. that rendering includes the ped bridge over the lrt. city should choose the proposal offering the most money. which this does. ryan has dropped the ball on this project.