Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Postby mister.shoes » August 15th, 2014, 12:59 pm

You're right, they are poured, and I said as much in my initial comment a couple up from this one.

I guess I've done a terrible job of articulating my concerns: the structure holding up each floor in this hotel appears to be comprised entirely of steel studs, unlike most recent buildings that are too tall for wood stick construction. Those—including The Bridges, Latitude 45, and StoneBridge; all of which are nowhere near as tall as Nic on 5th, LPM, or 4Marq—use poured concrete columns to hold up each floor, leaving wide open floor plates that are then filled in with structurally superficial stud walls.

That's why I prefaced my concerns with "I don't know much about the load-bearing steel stud construction method." To my untrained eye, the room layout of each floor of this building is locked in place. It may be entirely possible to reconfigure these steel stud walls economically, but I just don't know. Assuming it would be as expensive to do as it looks that leaves us with an 11-story building that will always be a hotel. Which may be just fine, but is kind of a bummer when thinking 20+ years down the line.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 15th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Regarding the steel framing. There are a few reasons wood studs are chosen over steel, none of which have to do with future flexibility. Those reasons are- Typically wood is cheaper, cheaper labor knows how to work with wood, and in general America is just obsessed with wood. The steel frame here really increases the value of the property as opposed to using wood framing for the interior walls. Steel is unaffected from termites, doesn't warp like wood, uses screws as opposed to nails, and offers greater fire protection. Thermal bridging is the only issue with steel frame, but if you can afford it, personally I think steel frame is the way to go for any type of construction. I can't speak to this as a fact as I've never done engineering work on a hotel in this state (unfortunately) but I do know that in other places steel studs would be required for this type of construction.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much about this building being re-purposed, its not even finished yet! Lol. Hotels will usually stick around for awhile, but assuming you're eyeing this parcel for redevelopment in 20 years or so, the steel framing shouldn't limit your ability to rearrange the floor plan.

Edit: Also I would imagine you're greatest obstacle to converting a hotel such as this to apartments or condos would be electrical and plumbing/HVAC issues.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » August 26th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Two more floors to go on this, at least from what I was able to count which was 7.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 27th, 2014, 7:33 am

Regarding the steel framing. There are a few reasons wood studs are chosen over steel, none of which have to do with future flexibility. Those reasons are- Typically wood is cheaper, cheaper labor knows how to work with wood, and in general America is just obsessed with wood. The steel frame here really increases the value of the property as opposed to using wood framing for the interior walls. Steel is unaffected from termites, doesn't warp like wood, uses screws as opposed to nails, and offers greater fire protection. Thermal bridging is the only issue with steel frame, but if you can afford it, personally I think steel frame is the way to go for any type of construction. I can't speak to this as a fact as I've never done engineering work on a hotel in this state (unfortunately) but I do know that in other places steel studs would be required for this type of construction.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much about this building being re-purposed, its not even finished yet! Lol. Hotels will usually stick around for awhile, but assuming you're eyeing this parcel for redevelopment in 20 years or so, the steel framing shouldn't limit your ability to rearrange the floor plan.

Edit: Also I would imagine you're greatest obstacle to converting a hotel such as this to apartments or condos would be electrical and plumbing/HVAC issues.
There is a height/code/cost calculation happening here. In the 7-9 story range you are too tall for conventional wood framing (code and structure) and too short to make post-tensioned concrete economical. Hence, you get steel stud framing at this scale. The load lines/bearing are rather inflexible with this system so that is a negative which brings us back to the cost calculation.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2014, 12:00 pm

they have an exterior materials sample outside this too... lots of synthetic studio ( pretty sure it's not traditional, but not cement board either) was hoping for some metal or something more interesting.

is this required? the materials to be on display downtown?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 4th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Most new construction projects will have a "mock-up panel", where the interface between many of the different materials is demonstrated by the various subcontractors so that they (and especially their installation methods) can be approved by the owner and architect. It's partially aesthetic, but also is important to demonstrate the water-proofing, flashing, and sealant interfaces between the different trades.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 4th, 2014, 12:08 pm

makes sense we do that in the housing industry but it's mostly for homeowner / architect aesthetic approval. I know certain cities around the world require mock ups for public review, in switzerland some places require a full size stick version of the building and materials and renderings on site for 6 months for public review before a project can be constructed.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 5th, 2014, 9:38 am

Labor Day pic.

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 5th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Does anyone know if this building will top out about equal to the building next door, or will it be taller than it? Just curious I guess, as I have never really seem any pics that should the two building together.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mortenson Hotel - (19 8th Street North)

Postby mister.shoes » September 5th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Does anyone know if this building will top out about equal to the building next door, or will it be taller than it? Just curious I guess, as I have never really seem any pics that should the two building together.
First page of the plans has a rendering that shows what you're asking about. Looks like it is going to come up juuuust short of the building next door, but be close enough that it'll look nice. Note, also, that this hotel is 9 stories while next door is only 8.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 111135.pdf

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm

First page of the plans has a rendering that shows what you're asking about. Looks like it is going to come up juuuust short of the building next door, but be close enough that it'll look nice. Note, also, that this hotel is 9 stories while next door is only 8.

Looking at the 2nd level there is a 489 Sq. Ft. storage space next to the skyway. Do you that just random, or could it be a plan in 5 or 10 years from now when they want to try to maximize profits a bit more they could turn it into a retail space? Looks like a perfect space for a coffee shop. or some type of small lunch space if the demand is there in the future.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » September 5th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Looking at the 2nd level there is a 489 Sq. Ft. storage space next to the skyway. Do you that just random, or could it be a plan in 5 or 10 years from now when they want to try to maximize profits a bit more they could turn it into a retail space? Looks like a perfect space for a coffee shop. or some type of small lunch space if the demand is there in the future.
With such an expansive strip of skyway in a dense office environment, I figured that skyway would be used for lunch options as it tends to be in the rest of downtown. It'd seem almost odd to not be prepared for that.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 6th, 2014, 12:37 pm

This stretch of Skyway will be dead except for the morning ingress and the afternoon egress. A coffee shop would work here, but not a lunch spot.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 6th, 2014, 3:32 pm

This stretch of Skyway will be dead except for the morning ingress and the afternoon egress. A coffee shop would work here, but not a lunch spot.
I'll agree, as I don't think it would be wide enough for a small convenience store. Those are the only two thing I see working due to it's off the usual beaten path location.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 6th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I'll agree, as I don't think it would be wide enough for a small convenience store. Those are the only two thing I see working due to it's off the usual beaten path location.

Does anyone know what might be popping up in the block west of the A ramp and the block south of that? (the parking lot) If I remember correctly there was a possibility for a hotel there too? The storage space almost looks like the perfect design for a caribou coffee shop. A slight bend to gain visibility from both direction with just enough room for 2-3 tables on the end.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 6th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Does anyone know what might be popping up in the block west of the A ramp and the block south of that? (the parking lot) If I remember correctly there was a possibility for a hotel there too? The storage space almost looks like the perfect design for a caribou coffee shop. A slight bend to gain visibility from both direction with just enough room for 2-3 tables on the end.
That is being discussed right now on page 14 of the Downtown general page. Atulas own both the blocks between 10th and 11th and Hawthorne and Hennepin. So there will be info there so we don't repeat ourselves.

CK76

Postby CK76 » September 8th, 2014, 9:49 am

^^^^I use the mobile version - what do you mean by page 14 of the Downtown general page? What would the title of the thread be? Thanks!

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 8th, 2014, 9:55 am

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 8th, 2014, 9:56 am

IT would be about the last dozen posts on Current and proposed at the top of the DT list.

Saw window frames in on the ground floor with crates of windows for the first and second levels in the sidewalk.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 28th, 2014, 11:32 am

Anyone know if this has finally topped out or is there another floor yet to go. With the scaffolding and wrap it is hard to really tell how things are??