The Hewing Hotel - 300 Washington Ave N (former IPR)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

The Hewing Hotel - 300 Washington Ave N (former IPR)

Postby 1200onthemall » June 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm

7/2015 UPDATE: Now named The Hewing Hotel: http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/no ... wing-hotel

A story in the Downtown Journal today talks about IPR moving into the long vacant Cafe Brenda space but says nothing about the building IPR is currently located in, I thought I read a few months back it was to be rehabbed into apartments. IMO it would be a great location for apartments and go a long way in improving that corner. Corner of North Washington and 3rd Ave, across from J. D. Hoyt's.

WAREHOUSE DISTRICT — The Institute for Production & Recording (IPR) is building a new home for itself and is bringing instrument retailer Foxtone Music along for the ride.

Both IPR and Foxtone will be exchanging Washington Avenue addresses for a shared space at 300 1st Ave., the former home of Café Brenda. Foxtone will occupy a retail space on the first floor and the school will occupy most of the remaining space in the building.

Both businesses should be in the new location by the second week in July. While Foxtone’s new space will be smaller than the Washington Avenue store, Foxtone owner Eric Fox said moving his store into the school was an easy decision. In addition to sharing a building with music students, the new store is closer to music venues like First Avenue and the Fine Line Music Café. Performers routinely stop into Foxtone for last-minute needs before a show, and the new store is right in the heart of downtown’s premiere entertainment area. 

Fox said that he will focus on studio equipment and synthesizers in the new location, a niche not being filled by any other music store in town. He’ll no longer carry guitars or amplifiers at the new store, and all remaining stock is 25 percent off in preparation for the move. 

“I’m grateful for them letting me show my wares,” said Foxtone owner Eric Fox. “We’ll carry string and picks and stuff, but there’s enough guitar stores.

The space vacated by Foxtone at 115 Washington Ave. N. may be taken over by its neighbor, One on One Bicycle Studio. Co-owner Gene Oberpriller said he would like to expand the coffee shop and bike store’s retail space and add more commuter clothing. 

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: IPR building in the NorthLoop

Postby Wedgeguy » June 6th, 2012, 7:29 am

I hope that they can get this building renovated. It is beautiful, but in its present state it is an eyesore at the gateway into the city and the Warehouse district.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 6th, 2012, 10:50 am

I hope that they can get this building renovated. It is beautiful, but in its present state it is an eyesore at the gateway into the city and the Warehouse district.
I disagree on it being an eyesore, per se, but it has a vast amount of unused potential. I'm very curious to hear who will move into the vacant space or what the owners have in mind, if anything, to re-do things.

RobN
Block E

Postby RobN » November 25th, 2013, 10:53 am

There is some scaffolding on the sidewalk around the old IPR building (314 Washington Ave N.). Anyone know if something is finally happening with this building?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 25th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Fox said that he will focus on studio equipment and synthesizers in the new location, a niche not being filled by any other music store in town.
Um...Groth?

Ok, Groth isn't in Minneapolis so I suppose the statement is true with a narrow definition of "in town."

Still, it'll be nice to have this stuff a bit closer at hand.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm

It certainly looks a little eyesore-ish: http://goo.gl/maps/KdEfu

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Re: IPR Building

Postby 1200onthemall » March 21st, 2014, 8:05 pm

I have been told that the owner of the Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee is looking at converting this to a high-end boutique hotel..... I think something will happen here very soon.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » March 24th, 2014, 12:37 pm

That would be pretty great. This is a prime corner for something along those lines.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » March 24th, 2014, 4:47 pm

That building doesn't even remotely look like an eyesore to me. There is way too much OCD in this town when it comes to judging old buildings, and probably always has been. Old buildings are supposed to show some wear and tear, it is what gives them character. It is interesting how much different St Paul and Minneapolis are in this regard.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » March 24th, 2014, 5:36 pm

I believe that the Jackson (former IPR) Building is the only building in the North Loop that's on the National Register of Historic Places, so it's far from an eyesore, even in its present sorry state. The exception is the clerestory story, which was added after the original construction and is of greatly inferior quality. Still, that clerestory's been around since the turn of the century, so I'm not sure that it could be demolished as part of the renovation.

The plans for the Iron Horse have been floating around for quite some time. David Frank mentioned a purchase agreement during a North Loop Neighborhood Association meeting back in November, and I'm happy that the project seems to be progressing. Take a look at what Iron Horse did in Milwaukee, and it raises hopes for what the Jackson Building might become: http://www.theironhorsehotel.com/

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » March 25th, 2014, 6:57 am

Looking at the Milwaukee version, if they did something like that at the IPR building, it would be an incredible anchor for the entire NL neighborhood.

And the overall building might not be an eyesore, but at street level it certainly isn't good right now (cracked windows, etc.).

dbaur31
City Center

Re: IPR Building - (314 Washington Ave N)

Postby dbaur31 » August 28th, 2014, 10:08 pm

As has occasionally been rumored, it looks like a boutique hotel is finally coming to the Jackson Building / former IPR space in the North Loop.

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ne ... washington
Last edited by dbaur31 on August 29th, 2014, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 28th, 2014, 10:48 pm

It's probably a pretty good location for a hotel, considering all the residential units in the area, many of the residents probably don't have much extra space for guests. I for one think the same logic would hold for a hotel in Uptown as well but that hasn't happened yet.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2014, 9:04 am

Wow, do I love everything about this project.

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » August 29th, 2014, 10:15 am

As an NL resident, I'm excited to see a great old building get an update and I think a hotel can do really well here. It's exactly the kind of neighborhood I like to find hotels in when I travel. I might be even more excited about the comment from David Frank regarding making attempts to improve 3rd Ave and Washington for pedestrians. It's desperately needed.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 29th, 2014, 11:32 am

Between people gunning it to merge onto 394W and the awful yield lane that comes off of 394E, that intersection is terrible.

This project sounds fantastic though. An alternative to the Marriott will be great.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 4th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Opening in 2016 hopefully work will start next year so I'm sure some extensive renovation will go into it

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/273977691.html

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » September 4th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Love this. It's beautiful building and with a little TLC will look incredible. Blast all that dirt off the facade and yes please.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 4th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Now this hotel project makes sense. Will be glad to see that building repaired and put to good use. I really like it's architectural style and design. Also only a few blocks from the Twins Stadium and Target center. It will have that Funk factor that will make people want to check it out and stay there.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 11th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Plans for it including the ballroom and restaurant

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 130872.pdf